The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol versus diesel

Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
I would like some feedback on patrol or diesel. I live in Tasmania and it will be my every day truck. Not really any long adventure drives, mainly up to the highlands fishing (1 hour) some off road fishing camping trips, tow a trailer with fire wood and to be honest 80% sealed road use. I have configured a Trialmaster with a few extras and paid the additional $4200 deposit. 
I did intend ordering the diesel but after a couple of crashes on the sight I stupidly forgot to tick the box for the Diesel engine. I know I can change but it made me think about my needs and the high on going costs such as injectors, fuel pumps etc that Diesel engines are notorious for. conversely for resale value (if needed) australia is diesel centric and would I think make for a better decision 
Any feedback would be appreciated 

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi Pete,

I understand your thoughts on this issue.

Australia has, over many years become more diesel centric when it comes to 4x4, SUV use & towing, for valid reasons (distances, longevity, fuel economy, torque requirements & diesel engine developments).

There are valid reasons to stay firmly in one camp or the other, especially when based on anticipated driving.

However, there is a grey or "cross-over" area between deciding on the two engine types were there are many competing factors (mostly bitumen but some off road/lots of off road/types of off road/mainly city driving/country driving; no towing/heavy towing/some towing but minor or light weight towing; lower/higher annual KM's, smooth diesel engines, particulate filtration, servicing costs etc.) that make the decision more difficult.

There is much discussion on petrol v. diesel in the "Techincal" section under same sub-heading.

Many of these issues have been discussed there.

good luck

Local time
Reaction score
Thank you mark
just to give a little history I have as my everyday vehicle a Defender 200tdi
And I would never sell it. Now we’ll into my 60’s but still very active I do feel the need for a less noisy more comfortable, warmer (I am in the Tassie highlands) truck I can use for every day multi purpose use. 
I did take a new defender for a test drive but whilst it’s an amazing vehicle it was just a larger iteration of my wife’s disco sport. 
Not my thing. The IG seems the only vehicle available these days that would fill my needs 
Having never bought a new car in my life and plan this one to be my hopefully one and only new vehicle I angst over making the right decisions. Hence the diesel/petrol discussion 
Cheers P

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Pete userid=9004990 postid=1332933427]Having never bought a new car in my life and plan this one to be my hopefully one and only new vehicle I angst over making the right decisions. 
Cheers P[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat bud. Hoping for this to be my first and last new car.  Okay well I leased a new car in my early 20s, if that counts, but gave it back. I vowed never again and have been buying 5'ish year old cars ever since. But for once in my life I'm highly considering a virgin rig... never had another man in her, pushing her buttons and putting her into overdrive.  Okay now that I'm done with the analogies (or whatever they're called)... I'm still considering waiting to buy version II or crossing my fingers to buy a used one for sale in a few years. I'm in the U.S. so I have at least a year to see how things go.  I hope to hear you say you bought one here and share pictures, loves, hates, issues and perks. 

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Pete,

I am in a somewhat similar position to you.

I expect 75% bitumen driving, quite a bit of that on freeways at 100KPH. 25% off road driving but not extreme off roading.

Sometimes towing a small camping trailer or an 5x8 trailer carrying wood, garden supplies, general crap etc.

Probably 10,000km's per year max. We have a second house 100km away from Melbourne and family living in the bush 350km away so it will have plenty of longer trips.

However - I could tow something heavier & further with the Grenadier in the future when I retire and/or could drive it more km's or I could sell the thing in 2 years!

I have owned a BMW X5 with the same turbo diesel and their are very good engines: smooth, efficient, reliable etc. You wouldn't really know it was a diesel.

It's difficult choice but, on balance, I've gone with the diesel.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks again. 
seems like we both share much the same needs. Good advice.
cheers

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Diesel for me.
Live about 70klms out of Melbourne in the Yarra Valley.
Caravan in the driveway, plenty of tracks at my doorstep.
Wide open country out there.
Diesel as a fuel isn't going anywhere in the long run - I would be more worried about Petrol  being available as a long term fuel source.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Hi Pete,

That was my exact dilemma prior to ordering. I was 75/25 derv versus petrol for mainly the reason of the bad press here in UK and Europe and the complete backlash against diesel after the government here praised it as being the cleaner fuel and then realised, oh wait it's not. My concern was the future cost of diesel fuel and the likely hood of more and more restrictions. Then I thought, hang on, no point trying to second guess what the buggers are going to come up with next. This will be my first and last new car (only ever bought brand new motorbikes), what suits me right now (off-road during the autumn/winter mostly, towing etc) and the answer was diesel. Couple of other things that swayed me, the mpg with diesel looks to be somewhat better than the petrol which I would find a pain in the arse, and lastly, the rig just suits diesel in my book. So I've ticked diesel and for now I'm very happy I did.Good luck with your decision.  

Red pepper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
It was hard one for me.. As  Mark Evans wrote :
" However, there is a grey or "cross-over" area between deciding on the two engine types were there are many competing factors.. "
So after considering all the pros and cons for my use I went with the petrol ( the biggest and most upsetting thing for me is that I can't choose the  " right"  transmission for the petrol engine..)
And I wish we could have some more data on the testing of the cars with diesel /petrol engine versions, could be easier to make a choice, at the moment it is more guessing game. 

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Pete , I'm in Tassy too . Ordered petrol , and most driving will be in Tas. Not towing anything , will be aiming for plenty of travelling on and offroad with a  fairly full car.Very comfortable with my decision.I have no desire to do the mainland Canning Stock Route or Simpson Desert crossing. I have a wife who does not enjoy the thrill of 100s and 100s of km of corrugations and the like. However that will not stop us from exploring our massive country - in a petrol  powered Trialmaster!

Reactions: Sam

Joey

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have always had Diesels. I ticked the Petrol box for many reasons, dpf and add blue all just too hard. The Petrol unit is very stong and tunable for additional torgue although it will be thirsty, I'm ok with that.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
After earlier effectively talking myself into a petrol engine, I ultimately opted for the diesel... basically on extensive reading about the B57 engine and my experience with two  Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDI vehicles I currently have had for over 120,000km combined with absolutely no issues. I was worried about fuel filtration issues for outback use and was planning on fitting additional filters on the IG.  Then I watched the recent YouTube interview with local IG Australia CEO  Justin Hocevar who stated that for the Australian market additional filtration including a fuel water separator would be part of the standard fit... gave me more confidence that the product will be 'fit for purpose'.  Also, the diesel's ZF8HP76 auto has a torque limit some 40% above the B57 max. which should add to longevity.
( Another example of 'fit for purpose':  ...one of the IG people at the drive day reported on Hocevar sending UK "head office" bulk samples of the very fine dust typical of the outback tracks. The result was a redesign of door seals.)

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=joseph.graham userid=9017204 postid=1332948484]Have always had Diesels. I ticked the Petrol box for many reasons, dpf and add blue all just too hard. The Petrol unit is very stong and tunable for additional torgue although it will be thirsty, I'm ok with that.[/QUOTE]

The B58 is paired with the 8HP51 version of the ZF transmission, which has a max torque rating of 500 Nm (369 lb/ft). This is just 10% higher than the output of the B58 in the Grenadier (332 lb/ft), so you will need to be careful tuning the engine. The B57 on the other hand, is paired with the 8HP76, which has a max torque rating of 750 Nm (553 lb/ft). This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum - much to the dismay of North American buyers, who don’t get the diesel option.

Post edited for accuracy (minor edit).

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=stickshifter userid=8617054 postid=1332951887]

The B58 is paired with the 8HP51 version of the ZF transmission, which has a max torque rating of 365 lb/ft (or close to that - I’m not gonna look it up right now). This is just 10% higher than the output of the B58 in the Grenadier (332 lb/ft), so you will need to be careful tuning the engine. The B57 on the other hand, is paired with the 8HP76, which has a max torque rating of 750 lb/ft. This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum - much to the dismay of North American buyers, who don’t get the diesel option.[/QUOTE]

Why would the Petrol have a gearbox capable of withstanding more toque?  

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Jackson79er userid=8980525 postid=1332954540]

Why would the Petrol have a gearbox capable of withstanding more toque?  [/QUOTE]

Its actually the other way around:

The petrol engine (B58) is paired with the 8HP51, which has a torque rating of 500 Nm (369 lb/ft of torque).
The diesel engine (B57) is paired with the 8HP76, which has a torque rating of 750 Nm (553 lb/ft of torque).

So... if you want to tune up the petrol engine, which comes from Ineos making 332 lb/ft of torque, you don't have much headroom - at least if you stay within the parameters of what ZF recommends for their transmissions. As a consequence, some North American customers are disappointed about the choice of transmission for the petrol engine. All the best!

DMS

Local time
Reaction score
OK - I’m new to this Forum - but debating petrol vs Diesel as well.
I have now paid the £2.5 deposit and have currently specced a petrol Fieldmaster but with many Trailmaster extras.To put this into context  I have a Defender 90 2006 TD5 XS and a  2012 110 XS  which has been Twisted I live in the UK but regularly drive thru’ France and to Switzerland but do have a VW Transporter 4motion which I use for these trips  - these are obviously all Diesels 

I have always had A Landrover product on the drive including Discoveries and Range Rovers. A Disco 4 was sold for a Range Rover vogue Hybrid 400e mainly because the new discovery 5 isn’t what I wanted from what was a very practical disco 4 - equally I have ruled out the new defender - because it isn’t what I want from a defender - I think the Grenadier is 

we also have a Mini Countryman hydrid. I have just sold the RR and the Grenadier will be its replacement 

The reason for a  petrol option is mainly to get a balance across the cars I have and to cover all angles for the future (I intend to keep the Grenadier long term ) but equally I don’t want this to cloud my judgement on the quality of the car and it’s performance  I tow sometimes but not big loads and 90% it this cars use will be on the road 

would be interred on thoughts

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DMS userid=9026132 postid=1332957311]Disco 4 was sold for a Range Rover vogue Hybrid 400e mainly because the new discovery 5 isn’t what I wanted from what was a very practical disco 4 - equally I have ruled out the new defender - because it isn’t what I want from a defender - I think the Grenadier is [/QUOTE]

So firstly, yes - agreed on the LR model range comments. Discovery Sport should have retained the Freelander name, Discovery 5 should be the Discovery Sport, Defender should be the Discovery 5. Anyway, I digress...

Based on your present garage and interest in modding, I wonder would it be worth going for the petrol just for tuning fun and games/future LS swap.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I have a Landmark discovery 4, one of the last 10 off the assembly line (diesel) which I will be keeping and running it in tandem with my Trialmaster when it arrives.  My thinking being that with only 24k miles on the clock, I would not be able to get an other Disco 4 like it.  However if I wanted to change the Grenadier later on, well there will be new models and possibly even a hydrogen version to change it for!

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a diesel ‘17 discovery and would never own a gas version. I love it. I tow an 8k lb boat and trailer with it, not far, but just love the diesel. The def is annoying but it’s $8usd a jug and I do it ever few thousand miles. Big deal. More to break though. But I’ve never had issues with it. Had a keep grand Cherokee diesel before it. Never any issues. It just comes down to reliability of the engine and from what I’m told but options are pretty bullet proof. So I’d go diesel if I could but I’m in the states. Diesel drives so much better. Still crossing my fingers something magical happens where it’s an option in the states. 

Back
Top Bottom