The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol versus diesel

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:15 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DMS userid=9026132 postid=1332957311]OK - I’m new to this Forum - but debating petrol vs Diesel as well.
I have now paid the £2.5 deposit and have currently specced a petrol Fieldmaster but with many Trailmaster extras.To put this into context  I have a Defender 90 2006 TD5 XS and a  2012 110 XS  which has been Twisted I live in the UK but regularly drive thru’ France and to Switzerland but do have a VW Transporter 4motion which I use for these trips  - these are obviously all Diesels 

I have always had A Landrover product on the drive including Discoveries and Range Rovers. A Disco 4 was sold for a Range Rover vogue Hybrid 400e mainly because the new discovery 5 isn’t what I wanted from what was a very practical disco 4 - equally I have ruled out the new defender - because it isn’t what I want from a defender - I think the Grenadier is 

we also have a Mini Countryman hydrid. I have just sold the RR and the Grenadier will be its replacement 

The reason for a  petrol option is mainly to get a balance across the cars I have and to cover all angles for the future (I intend to keep the Grenadier long term ) but equally I don’t want this to cloud my judgement on the quality of the car and it’s performance  I tow sometimes but not big loads and 90% it this cars use will be on the road 

would be interred on thoughts

[/QUOTE] My thoughts are that's a fair size fleet of motors you have running ?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:15 PM
Reaction score
Agree with G-Man ?
I opted for diesel on the basis my driving is seldom stop/start and as trucks are not likely to go electric anytime soon, my Grenadier will hopefully be in date for longer. The extra economy is an added bonus. The diesel is also very tuneable. 

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
From what I can see we are getting the twin turbo version of the BMW B57 which in standard BMW spec is B57D30T0 235 kW (315 hp) at 4,000 rpm 680 Nm (502 lbft) at 1,750–2,250 rpm compared to Ineos spec of 183kw (3250 -4200) and 550NM ( 1250-3000) Seems there will be plenty of room for tuning if anyone is interested

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
From what I can see we are getting the twin turbo version of the BMW B57 which in standard BMW spec is B57D30T0 235 kW (315 hp) at 4,000 rpm 680 Nm (502 lbft) at 1,750–2,250 rpm compared to Ineos spec of 183kw (3250 -4200) and 550NM ( 1250-3000) Seems there will be plenty of room for tuning if anyone is interested
Stage 1 Reflash tune can take them over 800NM.
That being said - the 550nm is more than adequate for towing heavy trailers etc. I will be trusting that the INEOS tune will be perfectly matched to the vehicle, and won’t be heading down the aftermarket tune path on this vehicle…….. …… famous last words hey.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Stage 1 Reflash tune can take them over 800NM.
That being said - the 550nm is more than adequate for towing heavy trailers etc. I will be trusting that the INEOS tune will be perfectly matched to the vehicle, and won’t be heading down the aftermarket tune path on this vehicle…….. …… famous last words hey.
Yes I tend to agree. I will see how it goes first but.......... The video where the Austrian test driver puts it in low range on a tar road and floors it to 80kms looks like it may be a bit of a party trick

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I tend to agree. I will see how it goes first but.......... The video where the Austrian test driver puts it in low range on a tar road and floors it to 80kms looks like it may be a bit of a party trick
Was his the Petrol or the Diesel? I had in mind that his was the Petrol (Gas)

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am not sure, He struck me as a diesel guy so maybe I just assumed it. Torque in the diesel means it would be even better.
I watched one of his videos again - he says he prefers the benzine version - so I am assuming he is driving the petrol one - when he does his party trick

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am not sure, He struck me as a diesel guy so maybe I just assumed it. Torque in the diesel means it would be even better.
Power gives you acceleration, torque is one component of power. Petrol version has more power.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:15 AM
Reaction score
> Petrol version has more power

Which means in face of less torque higher revs.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If you are towing , diesel is definitely better.
And range is better.
But petrol has other advantages. It all depends what you intend doing!
There is more than enough torque and power in either version for most purposes, except heavy towing.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
> Petrol version has more power

Which means in face of less torque higher revs.

Fun fact

The petrol version must rev 22% higher than the diesel to produce the same power (within the max torque range). So above 3660 rpm, the petrol will exceed the power of the diesel (at 3000rpm). At 3880 rpm, it will exceed max power of the diesel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom