The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Painting tow hooks?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
I've seen a couple members here paint their tow hooks. Wondering if they were removed first, taped off and sprayed, or brushed with enamel paint. Considering this. Please share any experience you have. Pictures obviously too if you don't mind.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Painted tow hooks are great draws your eye to the carnage :)

#OverlandGearGuy leveraging bash plates for what the were designed to do….

IMG_0706.jpeg

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
I've seen a couple members here paint their tow hooks. Wondering if they were removed first, taped off and sprayed, or brushed with enamel paint. Considering this. Please share any experience you have. Pictures obviously too if you don't mind.
The tow hooks are welded to the chassis during manufacture. Each is rated to take the full GVM of the vehicle.....
It's been remarked that painting tow hooks is like painting your finger nails if that makes you happy...but I wouldn't say that! :oops: :cool:

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I thought painted tow hooks were something GM added to make their vehicles look like real off roaders, even though they are not?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought painted tow hooks were something GM added to make their vehicles look like real off roaders, even though they are not?
Painting tow hooks with brake caliper paint has been a thing for the Wrangler and 4runner community for a long time. Not a poser thing

simonpa

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I cleaned mine first then taped off and brush painted with Humbrol Red - very pleased and adds highlights to front and rear.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I cleaned mine first then taped off and brush painted with Humbrol Red - very pleased and adds highlights to front and rear.
Assuming you removed the skid plates to gain better access to the hooks?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sand at all?

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Inspired by this thread I decided my Donny Grey Fieldmaster needed red recovery points for both practical and aesthetic reasons.

Procedure: 1. Remove the skid plate at the front.

IMG_1240.jpeg

2. Wash and sand the recovery points. Admire how much wax coating is on them and sand again.

3. Apply two coats of Hammerite red metal paint. Consider lightly sanding between coats but who are we kidding.

IMG_1243.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

4. Wait nearly long enough for the paint to dry before replacing the skid plate. Inevitably have to clean the paint from the edges and touch it up with an extra coat.

5. Stand back and admire.

IMG_1250.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
Remove the skid plate at the front.
What a nice job, I have the paint already here, but I'll wait until it's warmer...

Was ist difficult?
And did you mask anything?
What grain did you use to sand?

Did you remove any parts for the rear hooks?

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
What a nice job, I have the paint already here, but I'll wait until it's warmer...

Was ist difficult?
And did you mask anything?
What grain did you use to sand?

Did you remove any parts for the rear hooks?
It was really straightforward.

I did pop a bit of masking tape around some of the surrounding bits at the back. Didn’t bother at the front because once the skid plate is removed it’s a big easy target, but didn’t really need to at the back either.

I used whatever the most coarse paper was that I had to hand. Probably 400 grit.

Didn’t bother removing anything at the back. It looked like it would have been fiddly. Using a small enough paintbrush helped.

Last edited:

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
@FieldMonster Sorry, to ask some more. How did you clean the hooks?

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
@FieldMonster Sorry, to ask some more. How did you clean the hooks?
No problem at all.

While I was washing the vehicle anyway I gave them a decent scrub with some car shampoo and a sponge. To be fair, and to the credit of the wax coating, after a wash with cold water there was still a wax coating.

it definitely also needed sanding to be ready for painting.

Results after this seem fine for me but might want to try using hot water and soap to try to shift the wax?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No problem at all.

While I was washing the vehicle anyway I gave them a decent scrub with some car shampoo and a sponge. To be fair, and to the credit of the wax coating, after a wash with cold water there was still a wax coating.

it definitely also needed sanding to be ready for painting.

Results after this seem fine for me but might want to try using hot water and soap to try to shift the wax?
I would use Isoprop or brake cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom