The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Grenadier Fence in Brisbane

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
BTW I looked at the grenadier and I reckon it will work well for at least two water on the front of the "roo bar"!. In all honesty that's all I ever use most of the time.

Anyway.. I've been thinking about this a lot over the last couple of days. I really really like the grenadier. I do want a newer more gooder and safer Defender.

I was kind of being pressured for time at the local dealer. They only allocate 1h for inspections. I'd really like to go back there with the defender and tape measure and redo the measurements. Plus the dealer is like put your deposit down and get a car by September. Pressure pressure pressure. I've got a trip on in Sept/oct. I don't want a car then! No time for setup.

I really do think the fuel issue is going to be critical. I need to see what happens in this space. I keep cars for a long time. Once the defender is gone there is no getting it back. I need to make the right call on this. I'd rather go petrol... hopefully once production cars are here someone will announce a big tank soon.
I hear you but, in a few weeks agents will have more cars to look at & demos to drive, so you then have time to do your calcs and then pay a refundable deposit in April to get your new car by December.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
BTW I looked at the grenadier and I reckon it will work well for at least two water on the front of the "roo bar"!. In all honesty that's all I ever use most of the time.

Anyway.. I've been thinking about this a lot over the last couple of days. I really really like the grenadier. I do want a newer more gooder and safer Defender.

I was kind of being pressured for time at the local dealer. They only allocate 1h for inspections. I'd really like to go back there with the defender and tape measure and redo the measurements. Plus the dealer is like put your deposit down and get a car by September. Pressure pressure pressure. I've got a trip on in Sept/oct. I don't want a car then! No time for setup.

I really do think the fuel issue is going to be critical. I need to see what happens in this space. I keep cars for a long time. Once the defender is gone there is no getting it back. I need to make the right call on this. I'd rather go petrol... hopefully once production cars are here someone will announce a big tank soon.
The diesel has these two large adblue tanks in the back carrying 17 litres in addition to the 90 litre tank
They won't be there in the petrol freeing up all that space.
You should be able to get a single 25+ litre petrol tank in there
For some reason the main diesel tank looks like it is actually two tanks.
I don't think it will be hard to add extra fuel capacity

1674077037394.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The diesel has these two large adblue tanks in the back carrying 17 litres in addition to the 90 litre tank
They won't be there in the petrol freeing up all that space.
You should be able to get a single 25+ litre petrol tank in there
For some reason the main diesel tank looks like it is actually two tanks.
I don't think it will be hard to add extra fuel capacity

View attachment 7800769
Agree Dave but even going petrol over diesel and replacing the adblue tanks with, say, a 25lt extra petrol tank may not increase total range significantly as petrol engine gets the Grenadier 20% less distance over diesel. 20% x 90lt = 18lt, so 7lt in front?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
I would feel much more comfortable hanging diesel off the car than petrol in jerry cans...plus the torque and economy...happy motoring
I completely agree with this! I choose reluctantly a petrol, but the reason was the diesel ban coming up in some cities in Belgium. If there was only a diesel ban in foreign cities I would have said F**ck You, I don't visit your stupid city.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
I completely agree with this! I choose reluctantly a petrol, but the reason was the diesel ban coming up in some cities in Belgium. If there was only a diesel ban in foreign cities I would have said F**ck You, I don't visit your stupid city.
I agree but that is why we now have AdBlue to have the emissions under control...and meeting standards...I am missing something.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Agree Dave but even going petrol over diesel and replacing the adblue tanks with, say, a 25lt extra petrol tank may not increase total range significantly as petrol engine gets the Grenadier 20% less distance over diesel. 20% x 90lt = 18lt, so 7lt in front?
Yes. I also stay with diesel for that and so many other reasons

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. I also stay with diesel for that and so many other reasons
agree. Range is but one factor but, the extra petrol tank would probably need to be at least +30lt to gain a material advantage re: range over 90lt diesel tank

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
I agree but that is why we now have AdBlue to have the emissions under control...and meeting standards...I am missing something.
I don't make the laws and rules ... perhaps some cities will change their plans in the future, like Belgium changed the plans on nuclear energy in Belgium (due to high energy prices and Russian gas) and will lengthen the life of some nuclear plants.
Again, I don't make the laws :cry:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't make the laws and rules ... perhaps some cities will change their plans in the future, like Belgium changed the plans on nuclear energy in Belgium (due to high energy prices and Russian gas) and will lengthen the life of some nuclear plants.
Again, I don't make the laws :cry:
Paris always looked dirty due to the diesel fumes tainting the white building walls.

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
I am curious to understand the reason behind the petrol option over the diesel...I assumed your current Defender would be a diesel...happy motoring
When we bought the defender there wasn't a petrol option. But our car is 05. People weren't having problems with diesels because there were no problems to be had. No DPF, much lower pressure direct injection so no water issue. No-one lunching all the injectors, engines etc. Injectors are pretty much lifetime of the car. If I could buy another diesel like that then decision would be made.. but times change.

Now with common rail diesels - as soon as people get away from the cities people seem to have troubles with fuel quality. If you are lucky you just destroy the pump and injectors (I'm told injectors alone are a 14k job on the toyotas). It's common to loose the engine too. This is a really prevalent issue. A friend with a disco TDV6 got some bad diesel on a trip I was on and the engine was destroyed within a couple hundred k's. Kudos to Ineos for trying to head this off by including a water separator on the diesels from the factory. Will it be enough? time will tell.

And then there are the DPF problems which plague some brands. Our car tends to do short trips until it gets taken away. That's a concern too.

Lastly there is the cost issues of the fuel. The petrol isn't a rover V8 so is only supposed to use only 2 l/100 more than the diesel which is all we've got to go on until they get into the wild. It does look as though they will be pretty economical though. Defraying this is no need for Add Blue and the recent trend for petrol to be significantly cheaper than diesel. Hard to guess these things but I think with the electrification of light vehicles this might be an ongoing trend.

The downsides of the ledger for petrol is you need to carry a bit more of it when you are in sand as consumption goes up. Once we start getting real world economy figures we will have a better idea, but I think I'll need a bigger tank for either fuel type. Little tick for diesel.. it's a bit easier to carry diesel in jerrys (less stinky).

Anyway that's my thoughts.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think they said a water separator and a filter for a diesel, and two filters for the petrol. Well done ineos.
2 filters for diesel, one of which includes a water separator I believe. I am not overly worried about this aspect, also not particularly concerned about AdBlue the tanks are huge. DPF has been an issue with some brands most notably Toyota but I have had a Pajero sport with DPF for the past 5 years and even with lots of short trips no issues. The B57 motor is in tons of BMWs most of which do short urban trips regularly and is not known for widespread DOF issues. These things aren’t concerning me greatly, it even has a form of catch can. The deciding factor for me was range, the diesel will go further on a tank and diesel is much safer to transport in jerry cans.

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
2 filters for diesel, one of which includes a water separator I believe. I am not overly worried about this aspect, also not particularly concerned about AdBlue the tanks are huge. DPF has been an issue with some brands most notably Toyota but I have had a Pajero sport with DPF for the past 5 years and even with lots of short trips no issues. The B57 motor is in tons of BMWs most of which do short urban trips regularly and is not known for widespread DOF issues. These things aren’t concerning me greatly, it even has a form of catch can. The deciding factor for me was range, the diesel will go further on a tank and diesel is much safer to transport in jerry cans.
Yep.. the diesel will definitely go a bit further. Will wait and see the realworld reports. I may change my mind.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time