The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On Road Noise level

svmaven

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Honestly what surprised me on test drive was the engine noise more than the road noise and wondered if I was doing something wrong or missing an overdrive button. From the responses the road noise increases a lot between 65 and 85 MPH.

Understand what it's designed for and that it's not a GT car. Ideally you don't need to tow it on the highway behind a Suburban to reach the dirt road where it excels! That's like owning a track car.

Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
I've driven the Grenadier on the highway/motorway, and road noise is indeed higher than my new Defender.
But it wasn't unacceptably high, l drove the diesel version.
l didn't exceed 70mph. l wonder if different tyres might improve it for road use.

Desertfox

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have taken noise reading while parked with music and Aircon blower off, revving engine at 2500RPM 55 Db front seat, 50Db rear seat ( engine sound from front). Driving on road is much higher will check tomorrow and post

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Hi @Flewks I don't have a roof rack on my Grenadier, but I drove a Grenadier with the Rhino at my dealer and had exactly the same experience. The wind noise level was very loud. I then drove the Grenadier with the LeTech roof rack. You can't hear it at all. This is probably because LeTech tested the rack in the wind tunnel and closed the gap between the roof and the roof rack. I have taken a photo of it. Maybe you can do something similar by yourself.

Just test drove a Grenadier and was very impressed by the solidity. Big surprise was noise above 65 MPH. I expected a lot of road noise, but it seemed like the engine (in 8th gear) was the loud part. Didn't have the presence of mind to check RPMs.

Has anyone driven a Grenadier faster ? I drive across Nevada on I-80 a couple times a year where posted speed limit is 80MPH and typical speeds are 85 to 90 MPH. It's possible the Grenadier is not suited for this task, but curious if anyone has direct experience.
It’s perfectly suitable to drive it with a speed of 160 km/h (100 miles/h)
But even the diesel will empty its tank within good 3 hours then.
So the drinking habit is by far more annoying than the sound.

svmaven

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
It’s perfectly suitable to drive it with a speed of 160 km/h (100 miles/h)
But even the diesel will empty its tank within good 3 hours then.
So the drinking habit is by far more annoying than the sound.
Sorry to stick with SAE units! My guess is 800 miles @ 14 MPG => 57 gallons. Gas is priced a bit over $4/gallon through Nevada so call it $250 each way. Airfare would be $500 per person and would be hard to carry all the stuff and the dog. It's America and there hasn't been a passenger train to my endpoint since the 1960s.

My concern is I've found cabin noise levels in excess of 65 dBA are very fatiguing for a 12 hour drive. None of this is to take away from the purpose for the Grenadier! It's a bit like discussing whether you can comfortably drive your track car to the track or if you need to trailer your track car to the track.

Commodore

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Interior noise level is a concern of mine. I often drive Los Angeles to Park City Utah which is about 9 1/2 hours but we also do road trips including off road through southern Utah. It was very comfortable in my full size Range Rover and very uncomfortable in my 2022 Bronco although the Bronco is much better off road.

I have now spent a full weekend taking the entire interior out of the Bronco and installing two layers of sound deadening. This dramatically dropped the the interior noise level. It's now at 70 db at 75 mph. Most of that is wind noise. Has anyone tried installing sound deadening? I saw a video of a Gren with the interior out and didn't see any sort of sound deadening on the vast expanse of metal panels.

This is about mid way through the deadening install... what a complete PIA.

IMG_0112.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
Here are a few video's of mine driving at various speeds and on various road surfaces.
Using an iPhone with the microphone very close to the windscreen and as it is a RHD it is near the snorkel.
I have the K02 tyres which add to the noise a bit.
I don't have any problem at all with the noise levels.
Notas quiet as my previous Mercedes obviously

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/_ezhIB-B-Fk?si=aszmUzy7iSnFqNP7

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XueXJwLqzIk

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/PuLaPtaCM50?si=V4PHqEfAzAoQfZ9u

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srFgveXrRBo

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/rLlLfAcESmM?si=9V64c3nCK9ss4V0S

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
Interior noise level is a concern of mine. I often drive Los Angeles to Park City Utah which is about 9 1/2 hours but we also do road trips including off road through southern Utah. It was very comfortable in my full size Range Rover and very uncomfortable in my 2022 Bronco although the Bronco is much better off road.

I have now spent a full weekend taking the entire interior out of the Bronco and installing two layers of sound deadening. This dramatically dropped the the interior noise level. It's now at 70 db at 75 mph. Most of that is wind noise. Has anyone tried installing sound deadening? I saw a video of a Gren with the interior out and didn't see any sort of sound deadening on the vast expanse of metal panels.

This is about mid way through the deadening install... what a complete PIA.
I have no issues w/road noise at all either. I’ve driven over 7000 miles in the last 2+ months.

Local time
Reaction score
lf your previous vehicle was a Range Rover then you're going to notice higher noise levels in the Grenadier.

l am sure things can be improved if necessary but it will never be a Range Rover.

Back
Top Bottom