The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On Road Noise level

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
You can download a decibel meter app and post results here.
In the interests of keeping this thread going as long as possible.
I hear you Taz ;). I'm hoping this becomes the new RHD footrest debate🤞
'Acceptable to me' or 'comfortable' are subjective. Field measurements and comparisons will be largely meaningless due to the variables: wind strength and direction, pavement type, tyre type and pressure, vehicle weight and speed, petrol/diesel, instrument sensitivity/calibration/location in the vehicle, vehicle odometer (wear-in), etc. But I'm sure everyone knows that already so debate away!

Sesame Street Popcorn GIF by Muppet Wiki

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Try this. Mine whistles when driving high speed caused by the flap actuators not closing properly in the HVAC system (sticky actuators/flaps). I usually have the Auto climate control turned on (auto button). Try turning the fan speed to 1 and magically the whistling wind noise stops. I discovered that recently. This issue is intermittent as the HVAC system has a mind of its own.

ealshamsi

Eisa ALSHAMSI
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
I repeated the Noise level test with a different app. It confirms the previous test.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-30 at 15.46.01_c4b90e98.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-30 at 15.46.01_c4b90e98.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 84
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-30 at 15.46.01_d3ea540f.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-30 at 15.46.01_d3ea540f.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 85
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-30 at 15.46.01_db53ded3.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-30 at 15.46.01_db53ded3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 85

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
Hello guys, I‘d like to join your noise level test scheme once my vehicle is back from the workshop. Can anyone perhaps suggest a decent app / way to measure the noise level? Has anyone also experienced the whistling sound from the raised air intake / snorkel while accelerating / stepping on the accelerator pedal?

ealshamsi

Eisa ALSHAMSI
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello guys, I‘d like to join your noise level test scheme once my vehicle is back from the workshop. Can anyone perhaps suggest a decent app / way to measure the noise level? Has anyone also experienced the whistling sound from the raised air intake / snorkel while accelerating / stepping on the accelerator pedal?
I am using DecibelX (https://skypaw.com/decibelx.html)

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use the app "db Meter"

This one might be as good:

both apps can be used with the camera as shown in the pictures from @ealshamsi

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I repeated the Noise level test with a different app. It confirms the previous test.
This is with the windows up and a raised air intake on the vehicle?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is important to know where the measurement is taken. With the camera picture it is quite easy to see.
I know that my Defender went up to 95 db at 140 km/h gps speed. My Grenadier is at 85 db max. at this speed.
10 db means a world!

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Bushguide,
I had my Grenadier almost three weeks ago, so I am reviving your post because I also noticed a high air noise level while driving.
I am attaching several images showing the noise level (Showing the noise level and the car speed). I think if we are going to drive long distances on highways, it won't be comforting.
Can someone tell us what is the healthy or acceptable noise level?
Haha, if we do 138kph over here in Victoria we would almost have our car crushed for “hooning“.
May be ok in the Northern Territory

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It is important to know where the measurement is taken. With the camera picture it is quite easy to see.
I know that my Defender went up to 95 db at 140 km/h gps speed. My Grenadier is at 85 db max. at this speed.
10 db means a world!
I must test out my Series 3
It's earmuff level loud!

ealshamsi

Eisa ALSHAMSI
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Haha, if we do 138kph over here in Victoria we would almost have our car crushed for “hooning“.
May be ok in the Northern Territory
I was driving on the Highway within the speed limit.

Last edited:

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was driving on the Highway within the speed limit.
I get that. To clarify, because you obviously missed the joke. Victoria in Australia is a nanny state where the speed limit is generally 100kph (on some highways it is 110) if you go over, you get fined and depending by how much. lose your licence.
Exceeding the speed limitPenalty (as at I July 2022)Demerit pointsAutomatic licence suspension
By less than 10 km/h$2311 -
10 km/h - 24 km/h$3703 -
25 km/h - 29 km/h$509 - 3 months
30 km/h - 34 km/h$601 - 3 months
35 km/h - 39 km/h $693 - 6 months
40 km/h - 44 km/h $786 - 6 months
By 45 km/h or more $925 - 12 months
20 km/h - 24 km/h (110 km/h zone) $370 - 3 months

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
I would never have a license. It would be on rotation with the police. Washington state has tamed me. In Mass, I would do 80 in a 60. I would be passed by state police doing 90 and not even worry I was going to pull over.

Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Apps can be fairly inaccurate because they have to basically guess the sensitivity of the microphone in your device.

Better to get a proper db meter, you can buy them cheaply on Ebay. You can also use the db meter to calibrate the app on your device.

My app was reading 3db high. That's quite significantly higher than the actual level.

Back
Top Bottom