The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Oil check

Ineos1NZ

Contract Signed
Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
It is perhaps the same as mine, saying test aborted when in fact it has been completed and is ok.
It has been forwarded to the factory for the wording to be altered.
I will check mine when I get it back next week to see if the updater has altered it,
When I got back from collection I checked and it advised add 500 ml, the following week it advised add 500 ml so I have added 1000 ml since pre delivery inspection and have travelled less than 1000km
I have tried a further 5 times and each time the oil check procedure aborted, I share your curiosity in how much oil we have in our engines?

Ineos1NZ

Contract Signed
Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
When I got back from collection I checked and it advised add 500 ml, the following week it advised add 500 ml so I have added 1000 ml since pre delivery inspection and have travelled less than 1000km
I have tried a further 5 times and each time the oil check procedure aborted, I share your curiosity in how much oil we have in our engines?
Think somebody already mentioned cross referencing correct oil level via refill/digital gauge and then viewing where that registered on the dipstick. Whether that marries up well or not remains to be seen.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
"To Dip or not to Dip one's stick" ...an existential question for the B57 diesel...
Today I embarked on a discovery mission to actually find the elusive dipstick ...
First put the bonnet/hood in the maintenance/upright position. This is a straightforward exercise (it helps to lightly lubricate the grommet in the pivoting brackets to facilitate removal/re-installation...
Next: remove the engine cover. Takes less than 10 seconds : carefully lever one corner with two hands then proceed around the perimeter carefully levering the plastic extrusions from the o-ring receptacles...
What a sight to behold!

Dipstick location.jpg
The dipstick cover is located slightly below the level of the "faded yellow" plastic collar as per the blue arrow

Close up below ---second arrow shows location of oil filter casing. The requisite fastening torque 25 Nm is engraved on the top of the screw-on cover

Dipstick & Filter location.jpg

Below are close-ups of the dipstick in detail

Dipstick -wet.jpg
Yes...it has oil... and seems quite full ...though the magic computer indicates it needs another 500ml for both on road and off-road! (after 6,200km).

dipstick end.jpgdipstick ID Markings -1.jpgDipstick ID markings -2.jpgdipstick label.jpgdipstick receptacle.jpg

Dip stick receptacle

Other "finds"...
20240208_130813.jpg20240208_131041.jpg

sorry for the poor quality of the pics... the macro function on my Samsung 10+ isn't real effective:
Tried to capture the view under the LHS mudguard/fender. When I pushed down from above the metal flexed ever so lightly then I could feel something quite solid underneath. Under the top mudguard/fender panel I could feel a second metal panel...much thicker. Then there's what seems to be a thick solid "pillow" of (guessing here) some sort of black thermoplastic? material which fills the void and distributes any weight resting on the outside of the top panel...I didn't have the courage to "dismount" (Hi JM! 😎 ) the mudguard/ fender to find out...

The flat area of the mudguard/fender is quite a bonus. I'm rethinking my original decision not to option the alloy plates. Maybe a cut-to-size section of thick clear vinyl wrap will do for the meantime 🤔

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@DenisM it's as tight as a fish's arse back there! And confirmed my petrol one has no dipstick.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
"To Dip or not to Dip one's stick" ...an existential question for the B57 diesel...
Today I embarked on a discovery mission to actually find the elusive dipstick ...
First put the bonnet/hood in the maintenance/upright position. This is a straightforward exercise (it helps to lightly lubricate the grommet in the pivoting brackets to facilitate removal/re-installation...
Next: remove the engine cover. Takes less than 10 seconds : carefully lever one corner with two hands then proceed around the perimeter carefully levering the plastic extrusions from the o-ring receptacles...
What a sight to behold!

View attachment 7843068
The dipstick cover is located slightly below the level of the "faded yellow" plastic collar as per the blue arrow

Close up below ---second arrow shows location of oil filter casing. The requisite fastening torque 25 Nm is engraved on the top of the screw-on cover

View attachment 7843070

View attachment 7843076
Yes...it has oil... and seems quite full ...though the magic computer indicates it needs another 500ml for both on road and off-road! (after 6,200km).

View attachment 7843071View attachment 7843072View attachment 7843073View attachment 7843074View attachment 7843075

Dip stick receptacle

Other "finds"...
View attachment 7843077View attachment 7843078

sorry for the poor quality of the pics... the macro function on my Samsung 10+ isn't real effective:
Tried to capture the view under the LHS mudguard/fender. When I pushed down from above the metal flexed ever so lightly then I could feel something quite solid underneath. Under the top mudguard/fender panel I could feel a second metal panel...much thicker. Then there's what seems to be a thick solid "pillow" of (guessing here) some sort of black thermoplastic? material which fills the void and distributes any weight resting on the outside of the top panel...I didn't have the courage to "dismount" (Hi JM! 😎 ) the mudguard/ fender to find out...

The flat area of the mudguard/fender is quite a bonus. I'm rethinking my original decision not to option the alloy plates. Maybe a cut-to-size section of thick clear vinyl wrap will do for the meantime 🤔
That thermo plastic is Polystyrene

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
What a sight to behold!

View attachment 7843068

View attachment 7843070

View attachment 7843076

View attachment 7843071View attachment 7843072View attachment 7843073View attachment 7843074View attachment 7843075

Dip stick receptacle

Other "finds"...

excellent photos and info. tks.
I wonder if that polystyrene is the 'reinforcement' that comes on RoW cars, or whether there's even additional reinforcement when optioning the chequer plate. Bit of a mystery still. Will have a go locating my dipstick - ooer when the weather dries up. Will be good to know what the base measurement is when full. Though my computer still asking for 500ml refil for offroad when it's had close to 8l!!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
excellent photos and info. tks.
I wonder if that polystyrene is the 'reinforcement' that comes on RoW cars, or whether there's even additional reinforcement when optioning the chequer plate. Bit of a mystery still. Will have a go locating my dipstick - ooer when the weather dries up. Will be good to know what the base measurement is when full. Though my computer still asking for 500ml refil for offroad when it's had close to 8l!!
Under the top external panel there's a rigid metal panel, certainly significantly thicker than the exterior one. The polystyrene sits directly below this. Need to remove the wheel arch cover to confirm the structure....

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Under the top external panel there's a rigid metal panel, certainly significantly thicker than the exterior one. The polystyrene sits directly below this. Need to remove the wheel arch cover to confirm the structure....
Thank you. Will have a look under mine. My wings are very flexible, you would not want to put anything heavier than a claw hammer in the middle.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
What a sight to behold!

View attachment 7843068

View attachment 7843070

View attachment 7843076

Dip stick receptacle

Other "finds"...

Great info @DenisM, thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom