The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Off-Center Differentials

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed until just now that the Grenadier's differentials / drive shafts are not in the center of the vehicle (they are off-set, like in the old Defender). Here is a screenshot from a promotional video (link to the video is below the photo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v9PV2KIgu8

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Nice find.  The Green with Mushroom accents and roof looks great - would like to see that added to the configurator as an option.

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
it would be impossible to have it in the center in the front, would it not? driveshaft and oil pan would contact. I have loved the offset differentials in my discovery. Makes it easy to avoid rocks and such on the trail.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
michaels said:
it would be impossible to have it in the center in the front, would it not? driveshaft and oil pan would contact. I have loved the offset differentials in my discovery. Makes it easy to avoid rocks and such on the trail.

Curious: how does it make it easier to avoid rocks? Seems like you gotta avoid the rock with your diff whether it’s in the center or off to one side. 

Local time
Reaction score
stickshifter said:
 Curious: how does it make it easier to avoid rocks? Seems like you gotta avoid the rock with your diff whether it’s in the center or off to one side. 

Let's say you're approaching a rock that could hit your diff but not the axle housing. It's 2 feet wide and the long half of the axle is 2.5 feet wide. If front and rear are offset to the same side, you have more room to fully go over the rock with no contact at all, where are if it was in the center, you might have 1.5 feet or so on either side for the rear and 2.5 feet in the front.. if it's like a rover with both diffs toward the passenger  side(in a LHD vehicle), then you just semi-hug the left side of the rock as you approach it with your driver side. as long as your tire doesn't go over it, you'll clear the obstacle. 

Otherwise, if a solid axle vehicle has a center rear diff and an offset front diff (center not being possible, then you have to always account for the shortness of the rear axle halves. for an independent front and solid rear axle vehicle, you really only have to worry about the rear diff. or if it's independent front and rear, you can just drive with the center of the vehicle over the vehicle, as the center has the most ground clearance.

I'm not sure if I explained that clearly enough, but it just give you extra room on one side to keep the diff out of harms reach a little easier. 

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I gotcha - that makes sense! I never thought about having more room to go over a wide rock, I was just thinking about a tall rock, and that you would need to avoid it regardless of whether your diff was in the center or off to one side. Thanks - this is what forums are for!

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Are the front and rear Diff Locks standard or an extra? Ive heard both possibilities on various U tube productions.

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Everything I've seen/heard is that center locking diff is standard, front and rear locking diffs are optional (extra cost).

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't seen that option (front and /or rear Diff Locks) appear in the Build Your Own Grenadier software at this stage unless I have missed it?

grenadierguy

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Les Hiddins  Bushguide userid=8850676 postid=1331899178]I haven't seen that option (front and /or rear Diff Locks) appear in the Build Your Own Grenadier software at this stage unless I have missed it?[/QUOTE]
it's kinda in a strange place. Exterior/Drivetrain (Engine)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
As I understand it the front / rear will be an option. The center is standard. Also this center diff lock / transfer case is a steyer design, who are also the manufacturer of the Disco4 LR4 transfer case….

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Stu_Barnes said:
As I understand it the front / rear will be an option. The center is standard. Also this center diff lock / transfer case is a steyer design, who are also the manufacturer of the Disco4 LR4 transfer case….

This is also what I have heard from a number of sources (locking center diff standard, front and rear lockers as an option).

Do you have any experience with the LR4 transfer case? Does it have a good service record? I test drove one once, and liked the feel of the shift, but have no experience other than that short drive. As an aside, I really liked the LR4 with the naturally aspirated V8. I decided it wasn't the right vehicle for me, but I thought the drive train was fantastic! 

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Great video! I like the blue giraffe on the wall.

Local time
Reaction score
Of all the balls coming from left field, making the front and rear diff optional is the one I'm most disappointed in. Wonder if its one way of keeping the base cost down coz they realise they're struggling to come close to their initial estimates. 

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Happygolucky said:
Of all the balls coming from left field, making the front and rear diff optional is the one I'm most disappointed in. Wonder if its one way of keeping the base cost down coz they realise they're struggling to come close to their initial estimates. 

I get where you are coming from, but if they were standard, then the base price would be higher to reflect that. I often hear people say they wish this or that option was standard, but in every case, this would just raise the price of the base vehicle. Having everything optional keeps down the base price and gives consumers choice. Right?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
stickshifter said:
I get where you are coming from, but if they were standard, then the base price would be higher to reflect that. I often hear people say they wish this or that option was standard, but in every case, this would just raise the price of the base vehicle. Having everything optional keeps down the base price and gives consumers choice. Right?

Completely agree. I don't see a down side of the diff-locks being an option. Most of us being enthusiastic enough to be on a forum, will no doubt be optioning them. However, people buying the Grenadier as a cool school bus, a tow vehicle, a rugged run-around etc wont need them, and would probably appreciate the cost saving.

In fact, the Jeep Wrangler's pricing system has always annoyed me. The fact you have to get the top spec Rubicon model to get the off-road goodies means a lot of money for other things you don't need. A Wrangler sport with the rubicon axles, TC and lockers would be great. 

INEOS seems to be offering complete choice in what we spec on our vehicles

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The big variable is going to be pricing.  What is the base?  How much are the lockers?  Looking into aftermarket lockers for my Tundra, the new E Lockers from Eaton run about $1500 rear and $1400 front.  Assuming that it's the same cost at the factory to install the E Lockers vs open diffs, that's close to a $3k option check box to get front and rear lockers.

Local time
Reaction score
stickshifter said:

You're right. And what attracted me to the car was the early messages that the front and rear diff locks were standard. Hence the Grenadier was very good value for money (for me at least) when they announced the initial price indication. I don't know if the messaging was wrong in the first instance or was later changed to manage the base pricing. We all work to a budget and hence I said it was a disappointment. 

I'm still keeping my reservation and if the lockers option are more than 5k option.. I'm hesitating a bit. I can wait for an aftermarket bull bar and the winch, I can wait for the additional 40l (or whatever) after market tank. But I definitely want a decent set of lockers. 

Back
Top Bottom