The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas NY Area Drive Event

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
I was there yesterday as well and did have the pleasure of meeting @Drausch1976 and @Guru

Here's my 2-cents:
1) The venue's trails were a fantastic testing ground and represent the types of trails and obstacles I am most familiar with. The rain that has pounded the east coast made for very muddy tracks and exposed wet, slippery rocks and roots. My off-roading experiences have been limited to PA/NJ and in the same basic terrain. Having said that, the Gren made it though most of it without breaking a sweat whatsoever. As one of the instructors said, if you've never been off-roading before, the IG is NOT a good car to learn in because it does everything so well and effortlessly. My truck was on BFGs but we were unlocked the entire voyage.
2) The seats are extremely adjustable and for us shorter folks, the adjustability - in combination with the short hood and unobstructed view (no gauge binnacle) made for amazing visibility.
3) The ride was amazingly smooth, regardless of what I was driving over. In my Series, I was basically a bobble-head doll my Disco and JK were still wobbly, but the Gren was extremely sure footed and composed.
4) The truck looks better in person than in pictures/videos and has a very commanding presence.
5) I would have been over the moon for a "modern "real"" Defender - this blows that idea out of the water.
6) The undercarriage/frame/suspension etc. is beefy and if it's as strong as it looks, bombproof. Most of the armor underneath the truck on the ramp is removed so you can see things; the standard coverings will be sufficient for most things, but more coverage (optional) will become available.
7) The overhead switches feel awesome - nice and "clicky" when moved. They're weighted appropriately and you can confidently tell when you are moving from one position to the other.

Even with rose-colored glasses, here are some things that IMO could be better (superfluous as they may seem).

1) The interior storage (not the overall capacity for carrying) is pretty limited. The cubby is tiny even by Wrangler standards, thee, ahem, "glove box," will barely fit the manual (actually, it may not). The areas beneath the front seats are usable space, but inconvenient when driving.
2) The rear cargo area is certainly sizeable, but the space over the wheel wells - especially the right/gas tank filler side - is a waste. Had the wheel wells been squared off it might help. Hopefully someone in the aftermarket world will make something that can sit on/be installed over that area to create storage or a place for a subwoofer.
3) I have small feet and had no issues with the toe-box or petals but can see how someone with larger feet might feel a bit claustrophobic.
4) The overhead buttons (wading mode, off-road mode, etc.) need more than just the little orange light. Basically, you need to engage those functions with "long holds" - not just pushes (as you would say heated seats). But the orange light is little and cannot really be seen because it's beneath your thumb/finger. I think if they made them light up like the backlit coin returns on arcade machines it would help. Even if just for a moment when it's actually engaged. The little display in front of the driver may make that point moot but on the PTOs nearly every symbol was lit up so I couldn't tell what it would actually show.
5) As has been discussed, the lack of a flat floor when the 2nd row seats are flipped is pretty significant, but perfect for a drawer system that levels it out. Eyeballing it, it's like 7 or 8 inches deep which would be fine for tools, recovery stuff, dry goods, etc.

My brother came with me and he thought it was amazing - so much so that the thought of reserving one.. But he's also a logical guy who will not be bumbling around the woods and scratching his expensive truck. His environment would mostly be sand at the beach and crappy weather and he understands completely a million vehicles in the US market can handle that job. Which lead to a very lengthy conversation that was difficult to answer - who "IS" the IG market in the US? While all of the markets where Ineos will be bringing vehicles are different, the US is least like the rest IMO. Or should I say this, the US buyer is least like the rest. I can/will open a separate thread on that question, but I did want to throw it out there - following up with a totally unscientific, broad-stroke-painted, stereotype filled observation:

The group of individuals that I took notice of at the event was way more varied than I could have imagined. I assumed the demographic would be middle-aged+ and outwardly affluent people (regardless of reality). Based on some of the vehicles in the parking lot that was maybe - few Porsche products, some Audis, proper Range Rovers, a Rivian, etc. But then you also had the off-roader crowd vehicles - @Drausch1976 's awesome Bronco, @Guru 's beast 130 Defender, there was a heavily modified beefed up Nissan X-terra on 35s(?), I saw a nice Series 3 88," a few Jeeps, and some pickups.

The cool part was the different people in the mix - many of whom do not immediately fall into my admittedly small-minded, ethnocentric, I want to wheel in the woods brain. There were some younger people with kids with them, lots of women and couples, and thankfully some diversity. There was an eclectic variety of dress - jeans, boots and hoodies on some, dressy pants with stylish shoes, cargo pants and wellies, and even a Sammy Hagar look-alike in teal 3/4 length sweatpants and Nikes. There was everything and everyone, and that was fantastic! As someone in a Land Rover club full of a bunch of pudgy white guys (a group that I fall into), it was great to see a "variety" of folks. One thing I am genuinely curious about is how/where/why did lots of these folks hear about the Grenadier?

OK - if you've made it this far, thanks. It was more a nickel's worth than 2 cents but there it is nonetheless.

edit - forgot to express that I am not a fan of the BMW shifter - in looks, but more importantly, in use. Perhaps with time and muscle memory I will, but I did not like it.

Thanks for the detailed write up.

What color are you choosing?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed write up.

What color are you choosing?
Hmmm. Cannot honestly say.

All things being equal, I like silver but it was a bit blue to me. The SW is not “white” white but is growing on me. I didn’t think I’d like MM based on pictures but it too has grown on me. What appeals to me about both is that they’re light and solid - which hopefully means good at hiding country pinstripes and dings.

But, Britaina Blue with the white top looks amazing. I’m a Penn State alumnus and our colors are famously blue and white and that combo is nearly perfect. But, again, it’ll be tough with scratches and if I’m honest, going w SW would save quite a bit. I’m worried about being a bit priced out so saving 2 grand on paint is an easy way to keep the bottom line down.

Reactions: BD1

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Hmmm. Cannot honestly say.

All things being equal, I like silver but it was a bit blue to me. The SW is not “white” white but is growing on me. I didn’t think I’d like MM based on pictures but it too has grown on me. What appeals to me about both is that they’re light and solid - which hopefully means good at hiding country pinstripes and dings.

But, Britaina Blue with the white top looks amazing. I’m a Penn State alumnus and our colors are famously blue and white and that combo is nearly perfect. But, again, it’ll be tough with scratches and if I’m honest, going w SW would save quite a bit. I’m worried about being a bit priced out so saving 2 grand on paint is an easy way to keep the bottom line down.

I get to see the same group next week. Silver is on my list but I am not a fan of the blue tint in some pictures. I want to see Shale Blue. SW and MM look good online. And like most of the UK group, I like Donny Grey.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So I had the unique opportunity to attend both this event in NY today, and the Budds Creek event in MD last week. Having been able to experience the event, discussions with Ineos staff, off-road test drive, and hours of gawking at these vehicles on two separate occasions I feel that I gained some very unique insight, and got to experience both the emotional and pragmatic aspects of the Grenadier Drive Event. I will detail my thoughts and experience in two sections below: The Driving Experience and Discussions with Ineos Staff (much of this will echo the sentiment of others, but it may at least serve to confirm the consensus of this vehicle).

The Driving Experience & Ergonomics

Course Terrain
-The NORA facility in NY, and the course that was chosen for the test drive, is highly reflective of the terrain I typically go out in up in Vermont and New Hampshire's ClassIV & ClassVI roads. Steep, muddy, narrow trails with tight turns and roots and rocks scattered amongst the trail. The course did not disappoint. The course set up in Budds Creek MD was a little different, it started out going through portions of a Motocross course that was muddy due to the rain and steep at times but very open, and eventually went through some tame trails through the woods (Not necessarily the best representation of the Grenadiers capability).

Steering-The feel of the low ratio/recirculating ball steering was obvious to me almost immediately with more driver input needed to achieve a given angle (mostly bc I daily drive and off-road Toyota products) but this was in no way bad. And the benefits of this steering system was also immediately realized as we tackled the course. The steering wheel did not whip around in violent circles as we went over obstacles and was easily controlled with a light grip of the wheel.

Turning Radius-This one surprised me a bit. The turning radius was not as tight as I would have expected for a vehicle of this size, wheel base and design/purpose. Granted, the NY course was fairly narrow and densely wooded with planning of your lines needed to make certain turns, but it just seemed like a slight missing of the mark to me. I don't have any experience with Solid front axle vehicles and this might just be part of their inherit qualities that I was not aware of. But don't let this worry you, no 3 point turns were required - at least not in our vehicle ;)

Accelerator/Brake Pedals Positioning-On my first drive with the Grenadier it felt to me that the pedals were close together and you may inadvertently depress both simultaneously if wearing heavy boots or the like (for both drives I was only wearing sneakers), but upon my second experience (wearing the exact same shoes) it did not feel that way at all and the footwell felt more "Roomy" somehow. For the second portion of the NY drive I played around with two pedal driving technique and my shoes were not touching or interfering with one another.

Shifter-Prior to stepping inside a Grenadier I had never experienced this shifter before. But the look and feel of it just does not fit with the "ethos" of the interior (its far from a deal breaker tho). My first experience with it in MD I felt like a monkey trying to do arithmetic, and it didn't seem intuitive (I also wasn't really allowed to play with it). However, during my second go in NY I felt more comfortable with it and my instructor encouraged me to use both the manual and auto modes off-road to get a feel. It quickly became a fluid experience and though I would appreciate more of a tactile engagement of the shifter, it was easy and intuitive in manual mode and made quick shifts with each push/pull.

Low Gearing Ratio-Many comparisons on the Grenadiers gearing and transfer case ratio have been made on the forums to that of other dedicated off roaders (Rubicon, Bronco, etc) and on paper they may have a leg up on the Grenadiers final ratio, but I will say that the feel of low gear does not support that as a valid concern. There were several moments that I anticipated the need for momentum or some skinny pedal input to get up and over some steep climbs and obstacles, but just some gentle hovering on the accelerator and letting the Grenadier "do its thing" yielded surprising results. At one point on a steep muddy rocky climb I was giving a lot of skinny pedal input (approx 4000 rpm :oops:) and had the wheels spinning aggressively, the instructor encouraged me to just let off and let her climb, and she did just that. In 1st Gear-Low I almost don't see the need for hill-descent control (albeit I didn't get the opportunity to test it :cautious:) On the steepest of descents it was steadfast at 3-4 mph and maneuverable. The "after ride" discussion of this with some of the more long term Ineos staff who have used the vehicle in many conditions resulted in general agreement of this sentiment, with the caveat (according to them) that the hill-descent control is excellent in steep snowy conditions.

Seating Comfort & Position- Simply put, I love it. The seats don't look like they are going to be all that comfy, but as soon as you sit in them they just kind of envelop you and have very nice support. The bolstering was also much appreciated. Im a fairly slender guy (5'11'' 170 lbs) and when off-roading in most vehicles (passenger or driver) the bolstering is usually more wide-set allowing me to get tossed in the seat a bit more than I like. While on the trail these seats held me comfortably in place without causing any pressure points agains my sides. I tend to like a more upright seating position, and that's more or less what you are going to get with the Grenadier, so the adjustments of this seat suited me just fine and allowed for good visibility, but if you are a person who likes to "ride low", I could see this not being a high point of the vehicle.

Suspension (Off-Road)- Another high mark for the Grenadier. As mentioned by many others, very little "tossing around" the cabin while maneuvering down the trail. It remains planted quite well and does not behave as ~5800 lb vehicle. Little stuff gets soaked up nicely, and it is even sometimes difficult to feel the front tires beginning to engage with large obstacles until you get right up on them. In MD there were two straight sections of dirt road where I was able to get up to about 35mph and it was surprisingly smooth. Overall it gives the impression that this will behave quite nicely out on the tarmac.

Powertrain-Zero complaints. My expectations were not that it would be as powerful as it is. Torque feels smooth and consistent. Accelerator is more touchy than I am used to, and my first test drive in MD I felt that I was always overdoing it with each depression of the pedal, but I quickly acclimated on my second drive in NY and it was nice to have the power when desired, but rarely needed. I don't drive or own any sports cars so this will certainly be plenty of power for my driving needs. And again, as noted by others, it holds the gear a tad longer while off-road before shifting (nice feature in auto, but I was enjoying manual better)

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Discussions With Ineos Staff
Dealer Network
- In June they will be announcing the appointed Ineos Dealers that will be selling the Grenadier to the North American market. In the US there will be "20 something" dealers across the country. What this means, is that there will be freestanding Ineos dealerships. These dealerships may be part of large regional network of dealerships (i.e. "John Smith Ford" with "John Smith Ineos" across the street or next door) but they will not be a corner portion of the showroom at the ford dealership with a Grenadier banner and some pamphlets. One of the touted benefits of this model is the ability to have your Grenadier serviced at any of the "John Smith" service centers (whether its the Ford Dealerships, the Mazda Dealerships etc). Seems like a big undertaking inside a years time, but guess we will see.

MSRP & Pricing- It was reiterated by the Ineos staff that even though they cannot legally mandate the dealerships to sell the Grenadier for MSRP, the success of these dealers' relationships with Ineos is contingent upon honoring MSRP for reservation holders. Full pricing details on May 17th. The only variability in pricing that reservation holders should/could see is the cost of the accessories installation by the dealers (not to be confused with factory options). According to the Ineos rep, these are indicated with an asterisk on the build platform (items such as sliders, side steps, fold down table, roof rack) and variations are due to cost of installation. I asked if these could just be taken home in the back of the Grenny and installed by owner, he didn't see why not.

Rear Hitch- The US Spec will have the NATO plug and 8 pin plug from the factory. The US market will need to utilize a 8-to-7 pin adapter for use with most common trailer connectors. 2" bar with through pin as we are used to on the receiver.

Selecting Options in Configurator- Somewhere I recall seeing a video of what I believe was one of the Florida drive events. And there was a gentleman speaking who seemed very well informed about the US ordering process and offerings of the Fieldmaster and Trialmaster with certain options not being able to be "deselected" during the configuration and ordering process. His example was that on the Trialmaster you could not delete/deselect the Raised Air Intake. I also thought I recall him saying that a Base model to build up from was not going to be an option (only a Trial or Fieldmaster with selection or deselection of certain options), but I could be wrong about him saying that. However, I raised this point specifically with the lead Tech guy at the event, and he told me that is FALSE, and that there will be a base model offered, and that there will be the ability to deselect the RAI on a Trialmaster. (In a nutshell he was saying we will be able to configure Ala carte).
Grenadier on Tarmac- Some of the Ineos staff were able to drive the Grenadiers on a closed course Speedway down in North Carolina before the Drive Events tour began earlier this year. Having gotten the vehicle through corners at speed and taken it up to 80 mph at points on the track their impressions were that it was great on road. Only minimal noise from the KO2s, easy to converse at highway speed, minimal body roll and generally comfortable cruiser. The lead tech had a 25 year background with MercedesBenz and owned a G-Wagon (unsure which year) but he preferred the ride of the Grenadier on-road compared to his G-wagon (FWIW)

Press Event- As we wrapped up at NORA today around 1230 (1130 test drive) there was a press event occurring in the afternoon that was getting underway. I do not know which publications were there, but it is possible we will see some more Auto Journalists perspective coming out soon.

Final Thoughts
After the MD event last week I was unsure how I felt. I did not get what I considered to be enough Time behind the wheel and the whole experience had a bit of a rushed feel and made it hard to absorb the experience and formulate any concrete thoughts. Having had the second chance to drive and feel out the Grenadier at the NORA facility in NY I became much more convinced that I am going to own a Grenadier. The little things did not distract me as much the second time around and I was more engaged with the vehicle and the feel of it under foot (and my instructor In NY was just awesome and gave me a great deal of latitude in feeling out the Grenadier). The way the pedals and shifter felt more comfortable to me the second time around tells me that this vehicle (like any other being new to you) will have an adjustment period. My confidence in the decision to get one is solidified. I really like the Grenadier, and though its not "Perfect" to me, I think it perfectly fills the gap in the market that we maybe didn't know existed until it got here.

Cheers!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
Thanks @NoMoTaco - nice write up.
I agree with your thoughts post your second drive. My first drive was a short drive with little technical difficulty and I left it at sixes and seven’s about the IG, but after the second drive with slightly more variance I felt much more comfortable. Funnily different to most other people, every time I get in it (I have a dealer just down the road) I get the feeling it is smaller than the last time.

Back
Top Bottom