The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas No Two-Seater in North America

Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
I know a lot of dudes rolling around in 70-80k dollar pick up trucks who dont use it for "work."
They just like driving pick up trucks for the versatility and the look.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
I don't recall which vehicle (maybe the Merc Sprinter vans?) that were built in Europe and had interiors fitted to avoid the chicken tax.
When they reached the US port, the interiors were removed and shipped back to the Euro factory where they were installed in the next batch of vans destined for the US.
And now they are built in the US entirely (assuming you purchase a cargo van)... Crew and passenger vans are still built in Europe; and all vans destined for Canada are still European built.

The build quality difference between the US build and Euro built vans is.... appalling

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
I don't recall which vehicle (maybe the Merc Sprinter vans?) that were built in Europe and had interiors fitted to avoid the chicken tax.
When they reached the US port, the interiors were removed and shipped back to the Euro factory where they were installed in the next batch of vans destined for the US.
Ford did that, but they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. The loophole got closed and they got fined.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The tax wouldn't apply to a 4 seat pickup.

If they need capacity, and model variability for different markets, its an advantage to get the new plant outside of the euro, so you can shift production where the exchange rates are more advantageous and there's skilled cheap labor. It's a good sign to buyers of the new product that Ineos is thinking of long term viability and competitiveness.

I'd be shocked if the US got the pickup. The gren has the same issue the LC 7x pickups have always had, that is, its not competitive in the US pickup market for the price.

It better be the pickup that gets made down south. I don't want to have paid EU prices for a Grenadier that will cost $10,000+ less two years from now because it's hecho en Mexico.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
It better be the pickup that gets made down south. I don't want to have paid EU prices for a Grenadier that will cost $10,000+ less two years from now because it's hecho en Mexico.
Mexican factory would allow them to build for all of south and central America, as well as all North America.
Remember that the USofA is only one small part of the world
Big chance they will end up with a factory in China or India as well to service those markets.
Australia, Africa, Europe and UK all have similar requirements in vehicles so it was a good place to start.
They also have huge customer base and history for old Landrover, G Wagen, Landcruiser and similar so customer acceptance was quick.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe they'll buid the 7 seater there? That's gotta be a product aimed mainly at the US.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
Mexican factory would allow them to build for all of south and central America, as well as all North America.
Remember that the USofA is only one small part of the world
Big chance they will end up with a factory in China or India as well to service those markets.
Australia, Africa, Europe and UK all have similar requirements in vehicles so it was a good place to start.
They also have huge customer base and history for old Landrover, G Wagen, Landcruiser and similar so customer acceptance was quick.
USMCA vehicle origin rules are not simple to comply with. You can't just open a Mexican factory and import to the USA.

I would guess that Ineos eventually builds a factory in the US build the trucks if they think it's a big enough opportunity. Somewhere with good air links to Europe.

Back
Top Bottom