The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New Dirtbox Overland video I think is really interesting

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
Came here to post this. He goes under and goes part by part and points out really interesting details. I don't know 4x4 design/engineering, but he seems to and likes what he sees.

It seems that most everything is well to almost over-engineered, with good planning for adding things like skid plates.

With all that, it makes me wonder even more why they went with the transmission version that they did, especially for the gas version. I forget the exact details, but even just using the transmission from the diesel version would have been a seemingling easy mod.

He says 'Beefy' more times than a Rosie O'Donnel fan club chat.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Came here to post this. He goes under and goes part by part and points out really interesting details. I don't know 4x4 design/engineering, but he seems to and likes what he sees.

It seems that most everything is well to almost over-engineered, with good planning for adding things like skid plates.

With all that, it makes me wonder even more why they went with the transmission version that they did, especially for the gas version. I forget the exact details, but even just using the transmission from the diesel version would have been a seemingling easy mod.

He says 'Beefy' more times than a Rosie O'Donnel fan club chat.
It would be interesting to see if there is just one or two items in the petrol ZF transmission that could be changed to up it's torque maximum and a remap or if one could swap out to a diesel version of the transmission and do a remap. I have to think there much not be too much difference between the two transmissions that someone will come up with a way to get the torque up on the petrol version. Perhaps the ZF petrol trans can take a lot more torque than advertised just like the B58 engine can. DaBull

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if there is just one or two items in the petrol ZF transmission that could be changed to up it's torque maximum and a remap or if one could swap out to a diesel version of the transmission and do a remap. I have to think there much not be too much difference between the two transmissions that someone will come up with a way to get the torque up on the petrol version. Perhaps the ZF petrol trans can take a lot more torque than advertised just like the B58 engine can. DaBull
My understanding of ZF transmissions comes from Wikipedia, and it was months ago when I delved into this, but IIRC, similar engines (jeep JKL) have higher rated transmission versions. My guess is that the engine/combo is what BMW was willing to sell to '3rd parties', which is why the exact combo (different tuning) is in the Toyota Supra. People have mentioned that the shifter is BMW OE because to recertify any changes would be expensive. Maybe it will be fine, It just seems really apparent from this video that a lot of thought and engineering went into the vehicle, but we have a Toyota Supra engine in it.

From the video he mentions that the transmission and even the transfer case are cooled, which is unusual. Maybe that is make the overall system more robust. I doubt that we will get another gas engine version here before the greenies force us into an EV or a 3 cyclinder engine- so this is the 'best' we'll get. Until someone puts an LS engine in there...

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding of ZF transmissions comes from Wikipedia, and it was months ago when I delved into this, but IIRC, similar engines (jeep JKL) have higher rated transmission versions. My guess is that the engine/combo is what BMW was willing to sell to '3rd parties', which is why the exact combo (different tuning) is in the Toyota Supra. People have mentioned that the shifter is BMW OE because to recertify any changes would be expensive. Maybe it will be fine, It just seems really apparent from this video that a lot of thought and engineering went into the vehicle, but we have a Toyota Supra engine in it.

From the video he mentions that the transmission and even the transfer case are cooled, which is unusual. Maybe that is make the overall system more robust. I doubt that we will get another gas engine version here before the greenies force us into an EV or a 3 cyclinder engine- so this is the 'best' we'll get. Until someone puts an LS engine in there...

I don't really think there's any issue with it having the powertrain from the Toyota Supra, is there?

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I don't really think there's any issue with it having the powertrain from the Toyota Supra, is there?
Not from the reviews of that powertrain. All sorts of vehicles share drivetrains with different tunes. Would it be OK if this engine first started in the Grenadier and then showed up in the Supra and half the BMWs? I would be willing to bet everyone would complain that those performance cars were getting a truck engine.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not from the reviews of that powertrain. All sorts of vehicles share drivetrains with different tunes. Would it be OK if this engine first started in the Grenadier and then showed up in the Supra and half the BMWs? I would be willing to bet everyone would complain that those performance cars were getting a truck engine.

Yeah I looked at this as nothing but a positive--reliable powertrain, downtuned for reliability and low end torque. I don't need gobs of power--I had a Raptor, that power is not nearly as usable in these vehicles as it otherwise appears to be, unless you're really into highway drag racing.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Hi MileHigh, I have a feeling that the petrol transmission is a lot more robust than we are being told. I just don't get why they would keep the torque so low on the petrol version when it is so much higher in the diesel. If we have the same petrol transmission as the Toyota Supra, then it is likely a lot more robust than we are thinking as the tuners have upped the horse power and torque a lot without having to do any modifications to the transmission. At some point when they are really pushing the horse power and torque really high, they are then making changes to the transmission to handle the extra torque. Guess we need to speak to some knowledgeable Toyota Supra Tuners. DaBull

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With all that, it makes me wonder even more why they went with the transmission version that they did, especially for the gas version.
I can only assume it was done for cost savings reasons. Unfortunate, as it severely limits the upward bounds of engine tuning.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Grabbed this off a Supra thread back in 2019 when ppl were preparing for the Supra launch.

SupraMKV - 2020+ Toyota Supra Forum (A90 MKV Generation)

B58 6-Cyl Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Bolt-Ons
A90 Transmission Potential
Thread starterT56283 Start dateJan 19, 2019 Watchers6
T56283
T56283
Jan 19, 2019
I'm not finding a lot yet on the specifics of this new transmission and what sort of horsepower and toque limits it might have. I think the B58 variant going in the new Supra will be a solid motor but I'm not finding the same wealth of information on the transmission but maybe someone here knows more.
Sponsored

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
Like Reactions:kona61
kona61
kona61
Jan 19, 2019
T56283 said:
I'm not finding a lot yet on the specifics of this new transmission and what sort of horsepower and toque limits it might have. I think the B58 variant going in the new Supra will be a solid motor but I'm not finding the same wealth of information on the transmission but maybe somewhere here knows more.
It is a Zf8HP. Probably the most ubiquitous transmission in the world. It’s tough, but it depends on which variant is being used in the car.
Like Reactions:XtremeMaC
Guff
Guff
Staff member Moderator
Jan 19, 2019
The Supra should be using the latest revision of the ZF 8HP50, which is technically the version that is rated to 500NM of torque, which is (suprise, surprise) 369lbft of torque, aka the exact number that the B58 is rated to lol. Does that mean that the trans will explode on a cool day when the engine makes 370lbft? No, of course not, the ratings themselves are somewhat arbitrary at this point and are used to distinguish between the model ranges.

I have read that the code on the Supra trans is 8HP51, which might signify the revision model, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's a torque converter automatic, so it should do fine with a little power bump. Other BMW guys seem to be pushing 400-430lbft through their cars with a TCU flash to boost line pressure, and nobody has had issues yet. The 8HP is a fairly modular design so I'm sure there will be a relatively straightforward upgrade path for it as well.

Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
Part 2 the best technical Grenadier review so far. We don't have a dealer close to us or any Grenadiers at a dealer or in the region to look at on a hoist. Most salesman generally have little understanding of the real technical detail. Looking at the rear hub didn't expect it to have a full floating rear axle which is going to be a good detail on a Quartermaster. Most people the interior, looks and driving experience is the most important aspect of a car, for me technical detail is important because I am likely going to have to do most of the service and repairs at work or in my workshop due to location.

Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
I can only assume it was done for cost savings reasons. Unfortunate, as it severely limits the upward bounds of engine tuning.
The smaller transmission fitted to the petrol /gas version is an attempt to lower emissions and reduce fuel consumption over cost. Less rotating internal mass and drag. The diesel 8HP should be an easy conversion for those wanting to make a high performance Grenadier or other options there are plenty of companies now making heavy duty internals to strengthen most 8HP variants. The ZF 8HP has a large following in the performance industry.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
The figure that is clickbait for the Supra is 1000hp
Torque 900 ft/lb
The Supra transmission is not automatic is it?
Nobody has said how long that tuned Supra has lasted/will last!
The transmission in the petrol Grenadier is rated at 550Nm max. It cops 450Nm because it's going to see some heavy use (will get hot etc). Well maybe not in the mall carwler versions.
Yes there are variants of transmissions for other engines - and companies willing to take $$$ money for modified/stronger versions.

This has been discussed previously on this forum

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
There has been some mention in the BMW arena that the 8HP51 is somewhat under-rated and can handle modest B58 engine upgrades. If shooting for big HP numbers there are companies upgrading the torque handling capacity. Most are aimed at racing with the improvements geared toward high RPM launches and the like. Here's a couple.

Using the stock torque converter...

Stage 3 will set you back $15K on this one...

I don't know what the long term durability would really be with these rebuilds. When you start altering internals you run the risk of not being able to find the correct parts down the road when (in this case) the race crowd's taste changes. It might prove easier to swap in the diesel's 8HP7x. I think they've been doing 45/50/51 to 7x/90 transplants in the Mopar community for a while but I haven't looked into it.

Back
Top Bottom