The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New Defender vs Ineos Grenadier

Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
I can dig out the Technical Service Bulletins that describe some of the various issues they've been having which very much make me conclude it's far too clever for it's own good.
I agree it is and I think it damages the track/trail too much with unnecessary wheel spin

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
It was an option. Hardly any came with it in the USA. Sad thing is it was tied into the low range as an option and an added expense, 2 or 3k or so. There’s thousands of D4’s in the USA without low range or rear locking diff. So if you have one they’re on the rare side.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, definitely that too ~ seems you have to drive the vehicle quite aggressively, verging on mechanically unsympathetic, to get the best out of the various systems.

Definitely not the old mantra of as slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Local time
Reaction score
I can dig out the Technical Service Bulletins that describe some of the various issues they've been having which very much make me conclude it's far too clever for it's own good.
I don't like cars that think they are smarter than me - ha ha 😁

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think it's the background of the software engineers who code a clutch pack to be able to activate 8 times a second because they can with no clue as to the mechanics of what they are doing.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I’m hoping the same but without death wobble.
Owned a lifted JK for 10 years nearly, and driven a few lifted JLs.... never experienced death wobble! But then I've never driven a Jeep with 'Rough Country' suspension 😂

99% sure death wobble is a result of people who mix and match crappy suspension brands and/or don't look after their vehicle!

My JKS 2.5 lift with fox shocks used to ride a dream and handle absurdley well

Local time
Reaction score
Lots of good resources available for diagnosing and resolving death wobble:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
Owned a lifted JK for 10 years nearly, and driven a few lifted JLs.... never experienced death wobble! But then I've never driven a Jeep with 'Rough Country' suspension 😂

99% sure death wobble is a result of people who mix and match crappy suspension brands and/or don't look after their vehicle!

My JKS 2.5 lift with fox shocks used to ride a dream and handle absurdley well
I had it on a rental in Rochester. The rental was Registered in Florida. The only thing I can conclude was terrible maintenance. But the wife was shaken and said no way are we having one of these. It had about 50k on the clock. Happened when we drove over the expansion joint of a bridge doing 60’ish.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
Spy shots of this new Defender variant showed up on several websites. The prevailing opinion is that Land Rover is working on a range topping, hard core off-road variant of the V8 Defender 110. Interestingly the rumor is that they will be deploying the BMW 4.4 liter twin turbo V8. The “SVX” suffix is being tossed around as a possibility. The autoblog.com writer commented on a LR Defender in the mold of Raptor R, or Jeep 392, G wagen 4x4-squared. It would be silly of JLR to not attempt to compete in that niche. I can easily picture some electronically disconnecting sway bars and other articulation enhancing efforts. I don’t think there is any question that they have the knowledge and expertise to compete. Maybe the Grenadier has gotten under some sensitive skin? More likely to fall in the same price category as the G wagen but I’ll be interested to see what they come up with.

Attachments

• 23A1442D-6701-4F7E-A891-F2EF4209D031.jpeg
    23A1442D-6701-4F7E-A891-F2EF4209D031.jpeg
    626.6 KB · Views: 64
Local time
Reaction score
Spy shots of this new Defender variant showed up on several websites. The prevailing opinion is that Land Rover is working on a range topping, hard core off-road variant of the V8 Defender 110. Interestingly the rumor is that they will be deploying the BMW 4.4 liter twin turbo V8. The “SVX” suffix is being tossed around as a possibility. The autoblog.com writer commented on a LR Defender in the mold of Raptor R, or Jeep 392, G wagen 4x4-squared. It would be silly of JLR to not attempt to compete in that niche. I can easily picture some electronically disconnecting sway bars and other articulation enhancing efforts. I don’t think there is any question that they have the knowledge and expertise to compete. Maybe the Grenadier has gotten under some sensitive skin? More likely to fall in the same price category as the G wagen but I’ll be interested to see what they come up with.
The current v8 "Defender" is starting at 215k. That's a lot of cash to get scratched up on a narrow track somewhere. I don't suppose that's something that will ever happen...

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Looking at it - this is the real dick up-sizer. The pictures of rear independent suspension is rather designed for on road / high speed. .. it became a pure mimic. yeah the recent Gs are perhaps more capable off the road..
JLR addresses an entire different market with this. Okay . so be it. I am certain these vehicles will find their buyers.

I assume there are fewer with our use cases - or if they can afford a JLR Defender like this, they may order an IG for the real job in addition.

Was just curious - but seeing the first impression.. certainly nothing I would regret for ordering an IG.

Local time
Reaction score
Don't write off the new Defender. l imagine a lot of Grenadiers will not see off road use, the two customers l know who just took delivery are unlikely to ever venture off road.
As an owner of a new Defender 90 Commercial l will say that it's flippin' awesome off road and on.

I admit it does feel a bit "posh" or precious to take off road. But that feeling passed after a few weeks.

Mine is the cheapest version you can get, at just over £50,000
Cloth seats, steel wheels, no bling

However l am planning to change over to a Grenadier just because l love the look of it, and l think it will last longer (than a new Defender)

Having bought my Defender outright l was planning to keep it long term.

My plan is to order a Grenadier Commercial, l was hoping to get the 5 seat version but it seems to fall foul of company vehicle BIK so it might have to be the two seat version.

Regards the Defender l am still being offered what l paid for it, because LR are prioritising the more expensive models that they make more money on.

Local time
Reaction score
Don't write off the new Defender. l imagine a lot of Grenadiers will not see off road use, the two customers l know who just took delivery are unlikely to ever venture off road.
As an owner of a new Defender 90 Commercial l will say that it's flippin' awesome off road and on.

I admit it does feel a bit "posh" or precious to take off road. But that feeling passed after a few weeks.

Mine is the cheapest version you can get, at just over £50,000
Cloth seats, steel wheels, no bling

However l am planning to change over to a Grenadier just because l love the look of it, and l think it will last longer (than a new Defender)

Having bought my Defender outright l was planning to keep it long term.

My plan is to order a Grenadier Commercial, l was hoping to get the 5 seat version but it seems to fall foul of company vehicle BIK so it might have to be the two seat version.

Regards the Defender l am still being offered what l paid for it, because LR are prioritising the more expensive models that they make more money on.
FYI The commercial models have never been sold in Aus AFAIK. The cheapest one is 100k and comes with the hand grenade 4cyl.

Local time
Reaction score
l don't know if the tax advantages from buying a Commercial Vehicle are the same where you are?
lf so it's good news for the Grenadier.

LR discontinued the 2.0 quite quickly in the U.K.

Back
Top Bottom