The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

My Impressions When Looking At The Underbody Of The Grenadier.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
Since there appears to be some uncertainty from time to time in the forum about the quality of the Grenadier, here is my view after my last visit at my agent.

My uncertainty, if it was there at all, completely disappeared when I visited K+E on Wednesday. I had asked to have a look at the car from below, and so it was put onto the hoist so that I could personally see the substructure in full panorama for the first time.

The Grenadier may still have some room for improvement in terms of materials and workmanship in the interior. The plastic doesn't feel particularly elegant, and the storage space could also be improved.

But what I saw from below made my heart skip a beat. I've always repaired cars, changed gearboxes and engines when I was younger, and whenever I visit Angelo (my auto repair shop), I stand under the hoist and look at the cars he's currently working on. Incomparable. Neither with SUVs nor with cars, whether premium brands or not. Except on industrial equipment and tractors I've never seen such a quality before.

The whole construction and workmanship of the Grenadier is absolutely breathtaking! Lots of space for maintenance and repairing, no mess of hoses, cables and brackets. Everything is super tidy and made in material dimensions that are simply fantastic. Weld seams that deserve this name, brackets that are beyond any doubt and can really hold something. Rods and joints like those of a tractor. There is nothing there that could disturb the eye.

Even the "cable loops" which Christian from LR Time found under the car are still on the inside of the side member, but not hanging down. But that too will be fixed anyway. But I wouldn't have any concerns about driving it off-road as it is - apart from protruding branches that could actually get caught in it under very unfavorable conditions. But after the fix, this will no longer be an issue at all.

The appearance is simply “industrial quality”, awesome, sensational. Stable, consistent, trustworthy. A pleasure to watch.

That alone will blow away any tech-savvy person straight away, it's just great, you really have to check it out. (y)

You can definitely put loads and demands on a car like this without any hesitation.

PS: Since I didn't hvae a camera or mobile phone with me, there are no pictures.
but that wouldn't convey the real impression anyway. You just have to see it in the flesh.
And it's all about my current Grenadier, not my upcoming one.

typo, wording

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Yes, my independent mechanic who helped me install the UHF put it up on his hoist for a look and I spent some time underneath as well. On the whole I agree, the bones of the car are amazing everything under there accessible and very solid.for most purposes everything tucked away nicely, there are however a number of vulnerabilities with wiring and hoses etc that are susceptible to random sticks. I may spend some time under it with cable ties seeing if I can reduce some of those, without additional plates it probably isn’t possible to solve all of them

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
Yes, my independent mechanic who helped me install the UHF put it up on his hoist for a look and I spent some time underneath as well. On the whole I agree, the bones of the car are amazing everything under there accessible and very solid.for most purposes everything tucked away nicely, there are however a number of vulnerabilities with wiring and hoses etc that are susceptible to random sticks. I may spend some time under it with cable ties seeing if I can reduce some of those, without additional plates it probably isn’t possible to solve all of them
Hi @AnD3rew. That's exactly how I see it. In the forest, I often drive over branches that bend upwards due to the tyres rolling over them and can also tear off cables inside the frame. I have already got off the car several times and made sure that nothing had happened after hearing the corresponding noises.
I will mount protective plates. I don't know yet whether I will buy them or make them myself. Now I'm going to take another look at the underbody on the lifting platform.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
My assessment was less about such details but about construction, mechanics and genes. Everything else is, in my opinion, a question of care and part of the maturation process. I haven't seen anything that would be a serious problem. The quality is really convincing, but like with the G-Wagon and other 4x4s, some details can of course be improved, that's true.

there are however a number of vulnerabilities with wiring and hoses etc that are susceptible to random sticks.

I agree with this, although I'm lucky to have a capable workshop foreman at K+E which is very aware of those things and proactively takes measures against them.

When I showed Mr. Crepaldi the forum pictures (originating fom FB) of the frayed cable that was resting on the cardan shaft (that's one of those cases), he just waved it off: "I know that, that's Mr. B...'s car. Not an issue for us, we'll fix it anyway."

K+E is not the cheapest choice (is there one?), but I can trust them and especially Mr. Crepaldi, the workshop foreman. He knows what it's about and he's a car nut.
structure

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
It looks well built in all the videos I can find of the undercarriage but a few cables/hoses in compromised positions. However, there is a 'but': - it appears to me there are more ledges than you can poke a stick at to hold mud/sand/scum off the road etc! However, a good coat of protective "X". I am looking forward to getting my truck up on the hoist to be honest... not long now!!!

SBA

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Since there appears to be some uncertainty from time to time in the forum about the quality of the Grenadier, here is my view after my last visit at my agent.

My uncertainty, if it was there at all, completely disappeared when I visited K+E on Wednesday. I had asked to have a look at the car from below, and so it was put onto the hoist so that I could personally see the substructure in full panorama for the first time.

The Grenadier may still have some room for improvement in terms of materials and workmanship in the interior. The plastic doesn't feel particularly elegant, and the storage space could also be improved.

But what I saw from below made my heart skip a beat. I've always repaired cars, changed gearboxes and engines when I was younger, and whenever I visit Angelo (my auto repair shop), I stand under the hoist and look at the cars he's currently working on. Incomparable. Neither with SUVs nor with cars, whether premium brands or not. Except on industrial equipment and tractors I've never seen such a quality before.

The whole construction and workmanship of the Grenadier is absolutely breathtaking! Lots of space for maintenance and repairing, no mess of hoses, cables and brackets. Everything is super tidy and made in material dimensions that are simply fantastic. Weld seams that deserve this name, brackets that are beyond any doubt and can really hold something. Rods and joints like those of a tractor. There is nothing there that could disturb the eye.

Even the "cable loops" which Christian from LR Time found under the car are still on the inside of the side member, but not hanging down. But that too will be fixed anyway. But I wouldn't have any concerns about driving it off-road as it is - apart from protruding branches that could actually get caught in it under very unfavorable conditions. But after the fix, this will no longer be an issue at all.

The appearance is simply “industrial quality”, awesome, sensational. Stable, consistent, trustworthy. A pleasure to watch.

That alone will blow away any tech-savvy person straight away, it's just great, you really have to check it out. (y)

You can definitely put loads and demands on a car like this without any hesitation.

PS: Since I didn't hvae a camera or mobile phone with me, there are no pictures.
but that wouldn't convey the real impression anyway. You just have to see it in the flesh.
And it's all about my current Grenadier, not my upcoming one.

typo, wording
Simply Put I had mine on the ramp this week its Tonka Tough its been engineered well

Local time
Reaction score
lt's great that "Tonka Tough" still has a meaning, over 40 years after the Tonka toys that coined the phrase were manufactured.

l had a Tonka truck 45 years ago and it was truly indestructible, l smashed all my other toys but the Tonka stood tall with only chipped paintwork that actually made it look better.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Let me guess: Porsche?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
lt's great that "Tonka Tough" still has a meaning, over 40 years after the Tonka toys that coined the phrase were manufactured.

l had a Tonka truck 45 years ago and it was truly indestructible, l smashed all my other toys but the Tonka stood tall with only chipped paintwork that actually made it look better.
I can understand that very well. Back then we also had a truck, a wheel loader and a big shovel made of sturdy sheet metal, not plastic crap like today. That brings back memories.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
What massive wheel carriers! Cast iron ... or aluminum?

Back
Top Bottom