The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Munro EV 4x4 Launch 5th Dec Edinburgh

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
If anyone's in the area and fancies a look:

Screenshot_20221202_104803.jpg

Based on the Foers Ibex, it should be robust vehicle. Not a competitor for the Grenadier but maybe for the Ineos full on EV that we are told is coming.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
Once again: The reality of establishing an EV - Offroader is not durability and robustness - this is a natural requirement.
Its energy consumption and how many miles per kWh between feeding new energy,
duration of recharging, refueling, what about reload / refuel (Hydrogen) in the middle of nowhere.
reliability of energy storage.

If that is resolved than perhaps an EV Offroader is success - if not .. any discussion is futile. No matter what brand / make company. A Ineos Grenadier as EV must fulfil the same requirement. 5 Minutes refuel - 500mls minimum

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can't think how you could be more wrong.

These EVs will carve out a niche for themselves and in doing so might open the eyes of a few nay sayers.

The driving pattern and nature of refuelling cannot be looked at through the prism of an ICE vehicle.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
For me, the "prism" is that of mobility. I would find it strange to align my needs with the capabilities of a vehicle rather than the vehicle meeting my needs if I am to buy it.

If a technology can't meet my needs, then it's the wrong technology for me. It may find its "niche." But that's not what the mainstream is promoting. They claim that EV technology is capable of completely replacing ICE technology. And they're not talking about niches.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No one's suggesting that you do.

It not being a vehicle that meets your needs, doesn't mean it does meet others... it's a different niche.

The 5 min refuel time is a perfect example of the wrong criteria ~ these vehicles are charged overnight.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DCPU you re both right and wrong.
Correct: The vehicle fill a niche market.
Wrong:
The 5 Minute refuel time is important for me. - If I get called out at night to an accident, where game is invoked - or search for game - than I have to. And there must be sufficent energy in the vehicle at any time. Cant wait all night to get it recharged. - Also local providers told already charging is NOT guaranteed. They can switch wall boxes of at will. For me entirely inacceptable. The vehicle must be ready to go at any time. Other may accept this, I am not.
I share @emax ' prism entirely. People who do overlanding perhaps as well - as long as the limitations exist.
None of my friends who also hunt and doring forestry seriously consider EV for the business. All for same reason.

(one single hybrid vehicle owner I am aware of) - A few own EV - but for short range, and town use only.

No doubt E-Motors do have a lot of advantages in simplicity, reliability, power and torque. - The energy storage is shi**. as it is offered now.

There may be niches where EV offroads perhaps apply. These however serve other demands but not replace entirely the ICE based Offroaders in a forseeable future as promoted by the news and environmentalists.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Right so the vehicles not going to meet your requirements ~ hardly writes off the whole product category for others.

I seem to recall having the same vehicle not fit for use conversation with people when JLR discontinued the old Defender

As to the hunting/fishing/shooting brigade:

Electric-safari-vehicles-1.jpg

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think most of us are here because we want a Big vehicle with a Powerful engine Ineos delivered what we need.
If I were interested in EV - I wouldnt have joined this forum. (The reason I am mistrusting, - friend of mine is in firebrigade. - They exchange a lot of.. and they have a container. for EV burning off.

In my spouses company - EV are prohibited to enter the multistorey car park.
And so on.

In past discussions on this topic I never generalized the NON-Purpose of an EV - Offroader. But what I see here - many participants require some capability on distance, fixing things remote and selfservice, .. reject electronics and even demand manual gearboxes? - An EV - is mostly a moving collection of electronics and computers. - So exactly the contrary. All I ve seen on EV offroaders were US made, rock climbing here and there.. what about a 2000 mls tour in South Africa and Namibia then..
I stop this now. - Perhaps I am a conservative old f**t - backwards directed. I have a bunch of reasons not to want an EV - but that has less to do with overlanding and long distance.
It has mainly politically reasons.. Why do politics and certain lobbyists intend to ban ICE equipped vehicles.. And their top lobbyists go on private jets, big yachts, protected vehicles with of course combustion engines.. some are more equal?

No way - I am a libertarian and definitely do not something because I am nudged into it.. - The more I learn about this planet and the dirty games played here.

Finally who wants an EV, go for it. But it will unlikely replace the combustion Grenadier (and others) for long time.. and what I initially wrote.
If there is an EV that really has success - than its the one - that has reliabiliity, and sufficent miles per KwH - if its a new Grenadier EV or a competitor.
Whoever that resolves - that will have a market share on EV offroaders. (at least until the others learn how to do it) However - I do not care.

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can't think how you could be more wrong.

These EVs will carve out a niche for themselves and in doing so might open the eyes of a few nay sayers.

The driving pattern and nature of refuelling cannot be looked at through the prism of an ICE vehicle.
I agree with you. I have followed the development of the Munro and seriously considered it, as it met my person needs in having a range of approx. 200 miles on the development models. However they were based on the Ibex chassis with refurbished Landrover parts and likely pricing of £50k so this was not an option I was wanting to risk. £75k+ for some may be okay with the latest development but out of my price range. Hence I’ve stayed with the IG.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If I were interested in EV - I wouldnt have joined this forum.
That's fine, feel free not to post on a thread that's intended for those that might have an interest in the specifics of something that could be a competitor to a Grenadier as detailed above. 🤷‍♂️

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
Chalk and cheese...both have their place in the market and I wish I was young enough to see the evolution...technology has us running in all directions and in some cases the wrong way but we will take a breath and find OUR way...respect choice and hope you make the right one...happy motoring

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
For me, the "prism" is that of mobility. I would find it strange to align my needs with the capabilities of a vehicle rather than the vehicle meeting my needs if I am to buy it.

If a technology can't meet my needs, then it's the wrong technology for me. It may find its "niche." But that's not what the mainstream is promoting. They claim that EV technology is capable of completely replacing ICE technology. And they're not talking about niches.
One of the best comments ever on EVs in general!

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That's fine, feel free not to post on a thread that's intended for those that might have an interest in the specifics of something that could be a competitor to a Grenadier as detailed above. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry, but _why_shouldn't_ he post his opinion on sth the Grenadier forum brings up?
What does that mean, in general, "...a thread that's intended for those..."??
Confused...

Back
Top Bottom