The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

MPG update

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
Hmm that's much like my 4,100 kg full size pick up. Was hoping the Gren would save me some fuel. Good to know !

So are the half shafts (drive) in the front axle always turning or are the wheel hubs "free spin" ?
It is full time 4WD so all 4 wheels are constantly being driven

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
I thought the B58 in the IG was detuned to allow for lower fuel grades (the norm in some parts of the world)
Let’s hope it’s able to run on lower fuel grades. I expect not to be able to get high octane petrol on some of my travels. As per previous threads I’ve gone with petrol because I’m not confident with all the diesel emissions equipment when travelling in countries with high sulphur fuel. I’m guessing I can put an extra petrol filter in the U.K. model to filter out any contaminants. If I’m really worried I can run through the “Mr Funnel” first. Unfortunately you can’t filter out sulphur in diesel or I would have gone with a diesel.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
Interesting!

My order summary says for my specific config (diesel):
Kraftstoffverbrauch – kombiniert (WLTP) 11,2 l/100km
CO₂-Emissionen – kombiniert (WLTP) 295 g/km

The fine print at the bottom of the document says:
Die CO₂-Emissionen (Diesel – 276-319 g/km, Benzin – 325-336 g/km) und der Kraftstoffverbrauch (Diesel –
10.5-12.2 l/100km, Benzin – 14.4-14.9 l/100km) werden von INEOS angegeben und sind
Combined-Cycle-Schätzungen. Sofern ein Wertebereich aufgezeigt wird, bezieht sich der niedrige Wert
auf ein Basisfahrzeug und der hohe auf ein voll ausgestattetes Fahrzeug mit Offroad-Bereifung.
Personenkraftwagen (M1) werden mit 15 % Nutzlast getestet. Nutzfahrzeuge (N1) werden mit 28 %
Nutzlast
getestet

So they obviously take into account the _specific_ config, and, as it's a utility, these are the values with 28% payload.

It would be interesting to know where the difference to the basic value (10.5l/100km) comes from, since it is a quite basic utility with Bridgestones. Maybe it's really the difflocks?
You can tryout on theconfigurator. They show the consumption depending on the selected equipment. Diff locks and AT tyres make a difference but also the second battery. Probably everything that brings up weight and any form of resistance will affect the consumption figures.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pleased I’ve gone for the N1 version at £290 per year road tax. That’s a saving of £3225 over 6 years
Not forgetting the smallprint...an extra £355 per year for years 2 to 6. So Year 2 figure should be £520. 🙄
IMG_20221222_065234.png

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour,
Je constate que dans beaucoup de pays, le prix du gazole a largement dépassé le prix de l'essence.
Le prix du Brent au 22/12/2022 est au niveau du 30 décembre 2021.

221222_Prix du brut.JPG

On pourrait s'attendre à une baisse équivalente du gazole.
Eh bien non !!!
Le gaz oil reste largement plus cher que l'essence 95 ou 98.

221222_Prix des carburants au 16122022.JPG

Pour mémoire, c'était exactement l'inverse en janvier 2022

221222_Prix des carburants au 07012022.JPG

Alors que la proportion de produits issus du raffinage reste la même, le prix du gaz oil augemente.
Quelles en sont les raisons ?
Augmentation des profits des compagnies pétrolières ?
Augmentation des taxes ?
Lobby des onstructeurs de voitures électriques ?
Action des écologistes ?
Que fera-t-on du gaz oil qui sort obligatoirement des centrales de raffinage ?

1671694188275.png

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour,
Je constate que dans beaucoup de pays, le prix du gazole a largement dépassé le prix de l'essence.

View attachment 7798371

Eh bien non !!!

View attachment 7798372

View attachment 7798373

Alors que la proportion de produits issus du raffinage reste la même, le prix du gaz oil augemente.
Augmentation des taxes ?
Action des écologistes ?

View attachment 7798375
In Australia the largest users of Diesel are company owned vehicles and trains.
Retail or domestic use is also large but nothing compared to trucks, off highway vehicles and trains.
Companies claim it as a business expense and quite a few of the 4WD customers can claim it on tax as the vehicles are often used for work.
so i think diesel prices are higher because they can be

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour,

View attachment 7798371

Eh bien non !!!

View attachment 7798372

View attachment 7798373

Augmentation des taxes ?
Action des écologistes ?

View attachment 7798375
Here in Germany many companies built up a second way to heat/produce process heating with oil (= diesel) beside with gas.
They started filling their empty tanks in the beginning of summer. Most were probably finished in late autumn. At that time the prices went down a lot.
That´s not the whole story for sure but quite a big block of it.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In Australia the largest users of Diesel are company owned vehicles and trains.
Retail or domestic use is also large but nothing compared to trucks, off highway vehicles and trains.
Companies claim it as a business expense and quite a few of the 4WD customers can claim it on tax as the vehicles are often used for work.
so i think diesel prices are higher because they can be
That’s always been my argument- the bastards can charge more so they do.

They use the excuse of the Northern Winter lifting diesel prices down here as well. Any excuse will do.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are a couple of issues resulting in the higher diesel price...
A barrel of oil is approx 159 Litres of which about 73L distils off as gasoline/petrol; 36L as diesel and 20 L as jet fuel/heavy fuel oil for home heating/large diesels in ships etc; then there's about 34L which comes off as Butane/asphalt and other stuff for paints/plastics/pharmaceuticals and so on.
A lot of diesel for Europe was produced in Russia .... plus the Saudis have reduced refinery supply, and Joe Biden stopped the work on the trans America pipeline as well as shutting down shale oil production. So the USA has gone from being in a net energy surplus to a net importer... so much so that he went cap in hand to the Saudis recently to beg for more oil! The USA stock of diesel was apparently at 14 days a couple of weeks ago. Our US friends might chime in here, but I heard an interview recently where an Australian transport expert, familiar with the US trucking scene was amazed at the growth in truck numbers on the various interstate highways there over the past 2 yrs due to what he referred to as the Amazon effect.... the massive increase in online shopping and hence the growth in delivery truck numbers...
You can tweak a refinery process marginally to increase the diesel output at the expense of less aviation jet fuel and vice versa. Airline traffic has bounced back to numbers exceeding pre-covid. So with various industrial sectors competing for limited fuel supplies, the old "Demand-Supply" economics has come back to bite with a vengeance...the only remedy is more supply...Russia and the Middle East... and a change of policy by the US Govt. Don't hold your breath on any of these changing in the near term to bring about a price reduction...

cheers

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
This morning $3.35/g gasoline and $5.28/g diesel - nearly 58% more.

That's price at the pump; I'm not sure if the same taxes are applied to each fuel type.

Edit - that's for 87 octane on the US scale. Premium (93) is typically $1+ more per gallon

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This morning $3.35/g gasoline and $5.28/g diesel - nearly 58% more.

That's price at the pump; I'm not sure if the same taxes are applied to each fuel type.
Makes getting a petrol version more cost effective with those disparities if they continue. 👍🏼

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We won't have an option in the US, but the vehicles sold here with diesel options often cost thousands more, so it's not like you can justify going diesel with eventual savings on fuel. Back in the day diesel was substantially cheaper than gasoline but that's certainly no longer the case.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Permanent 4x4 with locking central diff just like an old defender 110 or. 90.

Sport Tailgating GIF by NASCAR

Just draft the car ahead to gain some MPG.

Back
Top Bottom