The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Matte PPF for a Magic Mushroom

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
I got my LC150 wrapped in heavy duty matte PPF 3 years ago.
This picture is taken last year at the yearly retouching schedule.
It is great for the looks, great for protection, but I won't do it again on any other car I own for the following reasons:
1. Everything has to be disassembled for the PPF to be properly seated - door panels, handles, mirrors, taillights, headlights, misc trims. The bumpers have to be taken off.
2. Technicians who are working on it usually are paid poorly and don't give a shit if a clip is missing or the vapor barrier is not placed properly back, or they break something, or they cut too deep intro the paint surface when cutting the PPF, you won't see it anyway.
3. It is very expensive if you do a full wrap (but you cannot do half if it's matte), expect to pay more than a professional paint job.
4. The PPF gets scratched anyway and a tiny tear will become a bubble after you pressure wash over it several times, and you'll want to replace the PPF on the panel, which is more expensive than painting.
5. A deep scratch that bends the metal will have no problem to bend the panel through the PPF.
6. The PPF is degrading over time, some corners will peel off, others will get blown if you are not careful when you pressure-wash (and it's really impossible to avoid all edges, unless you do not wash the car in the first place). You'll have to do yearly maintenance if you want the 10-year-warranty, which is kinda expensive... I paid 1000EUR on my last yearly visit, which included removing the peeled and damaged parts, apply new PPF, apply special PPF protection (which, by the way, won't be the same color tone, see the pictures).
I much prefer the factory paint. Small scratches and paint chips can be DiY with color code retouch paint, lacquer and polish, there are a lot of tutorials on youtube. If it's too damaged, just get the whole panel painted and call it a day.

Later Edit: IG has a lot of aluminum panels. Aluminum panels, when dented/deformed, cannot be brought back into shape like steel ones. So there is no reason to protect the paint. Second point, scratches on the IG add to the patina and character. They tell stories. No way in hell I'm gonna get rid of them!

View attachment 7853284

View attachment 7853283
This is not a problem at all with a protective film and not the Mat finish. You are right, to get a full mat finish you have to go under and not around, everything. The protective film is to protect against scratches, blemishes, chips, dings etc. if you want a Matt finish, then buy your car that way originally. Makes no sense in my opinion to buy a car and go out immediately and change the look of the paint when you could have simply ordered it that way.

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is not a problem at all with a protective film and not the Mat finish. You are right, to get a full mat finish you have to go under and not around, everything. The protective film is to protect against scratches, blemishes, chips, dings etc. if you want a Matt finish, then buy your car that way originally. Makes no sense in my opinion to buy a car and go out immediately and change the look of the paint when you could have simply ordered it that way.
I lean toward matte, less for the overall "appearance" or "looks" and that matte shows fewer scratches/dings/dibits etc compared to a high gloss, leading to less need for maintenance. Scratches and the whatnot are going to happen and I would rather sacrifice a thin sheet of "plastic" than trying to find someone to match the original paint etc.

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm not a big fan of getting into debates online - so will have the general philosophy of 'to each his own, and enjoy your rig' - but I also think it's important to share my facts here for others looking to make a decision.

- I've had all my work on this vehicle and others (including a 2023 RS7 is traditional full gloss) at a 5 star rated shop outside of Boston. Everything has been amazing, and the team is incredibly professional. I'd choose them to remove trim over the Audi techs.
- The cost of a full wrap is nowhere close to the cost of a full professional re-paint. That is just flat out wrong. If a full wrap is $6-8k, a full professioanal repaint may start at $25k plus.
- My yearly detail and check-up for the warranty is $299.
- I feel that a matte finish to the Magic Mushroom adds a great military/utilitarian flare - and I like it. If others don't. no big deal! If the factory would have offered it, maybe I would have done that. If I bore of it, I'll remove it.
- The shop in Boston mostl;y does high end cars (Ferarri, etc.), so mine are the least expensive they handle. Just saw a great Sage green wrap on a Ferarri, that was being dropped off. Wrap had been on for 4 years, and owner decided to take it off for original color (red). I saw it complete when I picked up and looked showroom new - fabulous.

Anyway - I hope everyone enjoys modding your rig, and respects what others decide to do!

Pat

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:19 AM
Reaction score
- The cost of a full wrap is nowhere close to the cost of a full professional re-paint. That is just flat out wrong. If a full wrap is $6-8k, a full professioanal repaint may start at $25k plus.
I fully agree that is a personal choice, it's not a debate. Pricing is different from region to region.
Let me give you an example for my specific IG - it came in Sela Green color (I bought a vehicle that was already on the dealership premises, based on equipment level, and I had to choose between green with everything and blue without tow pack).
I love the look of the dual color roof, and I wanted to wrap the roof in a color similar to Scottish White.
The price quotation I got from a reputable wrapping workshop was 2100E for colored PPF, 1350 for normal wrap (which I don't really like).
I asked the dealership for a roof paint job, and the quotation was 1999.56 EUR, which I've accepted.

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I fully agree that is a personal choice, it's not a debate. Pricing is different from region to region.
Let me give you an example for my specific IG - it came in Sela Green color (I bought a vehicle that was already on the dealership premises, based on equipment level, and I had to choose between green with everything and blue without tow pack).
I love the look of the dual color roof, and I wanted to wrap the roof in a color similar to Scottish White.
The price quotation I got from a reputable wrapping workshop was 2100E for colored PPF, 1350 for normal wrap (which I don't really like).
I asked the dealership for a roof paint job, and the quotation was 1999.56 EUR, which I've accepted.
Thanks so much for the reply, and I agree - the Sela green with the white roof is AMAZING. Thanks also for clarifying your points, makes perfect sense. Enjoy!!

Pat

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Sela green with white roof is such a classic colour combo and will never look old.

PPF and wraps in general are not for everyone I agree and to get a job done right, many panels have to come off and the right shop to do it is crucial. The best product in the world put on by a clueless tech is as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

The price is prohibitive for many and is the reason I wouldn’t chose it, I could afford it but chose not to, I have other things to spend my money on and wouldn’t dream of taking my Grenny down a track that would obliterate my paintwork. That’s just me and my decisions.

I absolutely love the look of the matte PPF’s on the Grenny though, so if any likes it and chooses to pay for it, more power to them. I do fail to see how it could ever be the same price as a top professional spray job though. Not saying it couldn’t happen, I just fail to see how it could be more labour intensive.

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks great!
I've reached out to multiple local detail shops and even our Dealer about PPF. Radio Silence. Hard for me to fathom how multiple businesses don't need/want my $$ to do at a reasonable cost.

I may just go the DIY route.. sure it won't look as good, probably wont last 10 years.. however also won't be $10-12K+tax. Can buy the an 8mil matte film in bulk (S-Tek, DynaMatte, 3M etc) for approx $850-900 +tax and have plenty left over for re-application.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks great!
I've reached out to multiple local detail shops and even our Dealer about PPF. Radio Silence. Hard for me to fathom how multiple businesses don't need/want my $$ to do at a reasonable cost.

I may just go the DIY route.. sure it won't look as good, probably wont last 10 years.. however also won't be $10-12K+tax. Can buy the an 8mil matte film in bulk (S-Tek, DynaMatte, 3M etc) for approx $850-900 +tax and have plenty left over for re-application.
@flynnsk, I believe our dealer will be offering PPFs soon.
@TRAILMASTER has contacted some shops in the Chicagoland area too.

Can I hire you to do my PPF too? :D

Back
Top Bottom