The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Matte PPF for a Magic Mushroom

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
So, I'm a big fan of PPF for vehicles, and was planning on the for the Grenadier, especially for tree branch swipes, etc. Just saw a picture of a Magic Mushroom (my color) done in a matte wrap, and I have to say it looks incredible. Might have to go Matte, really enhances the military/utilitarian look.

Attachments

• IMG_7438.jpeg
    IMG_7438.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 275

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
Looks amazing.

I’m gradually regretting not going for PPF wrap when mine was new. I had some bird droppings on the bonnet recently and even though I cleaned it off within a couple of days it had already eaten slightly into the finish leaving a dull matte mark. (Perhaps the ceramic treatment?)

I resolved it by *very gently* polishing with some Autglym scratch compound (seems less aggressive than T-Cut but still pretty aggressive!) in the affected area, and managed to totally remove a couple of tiny scratches at the same time. Then a gentle hand polish of the whole bonnet. Good as new. I was really conscious that I was probably removing most of the ceramic treatment though.

I’ve got some ceramic spray that I’ll try, but obviously not expecting that to be the same as what was applied from new.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I would speak to the detailers who did your ceramic coating intitially. Explained what has happened and ask them what is best.

Not pointing any fingers etc etc. but you may have been better to have cleaned it off and then contact them anyway. My impression was that the ceramic coating should have protected the paint in the first place. They may have well done the correctional work for you anyway.

If you get something like that in future you can get polishes that actually have a slight cutting agent in them, as they get used on the surface of the paint. The medium in the polish breaks down and then after initially cutting just polishes. They are called all in one polishes or something like that.

I have one called Scholl S20 (one step compound)

Not trying to lecture, just trying to be helpful.

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I would speak to the detailers who did your ceramic coating intitially. Explained what has happened and ask them what is best.

Not pointing any fingers etc etc. but you may have been better to have cleaned it off and then contact them anyway. My impression was that the ceramic coating should have protected the paint in the first place. They may have well done the correctional work for you anyway.

If you get something like that in future you can get polishes that actually have a slight cutting agent in them, as they get used on the surface of the paint. The medium in the polish breaks down and then after initially cutting just polishes. They are called all in one polishes or something like that.

I have one called Scholl S20 (one step compound)

Not trying to lecture, just trying to be helpful.
That is helpful.

My ceramic coating was done at the Ineos dealers when I bought the Grenadier. I should probably have tried them first but frankly I wasn’t optimistic about their appetite to fix it.

The cutting/polishing I did *may* have not even have touched the paint itself but as the ceramic coating will have been the top layer I was really conscious of cutting through it.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Like you say it was probably the ceramic coating that was marked. I would enquire and see if it can be patched (for want of a better word), or topped up.

They may say that it is ok and it has not affected the coating.

Ceramic coating to that standard is not something I know really well.

I am however well versed in bird shite, that has the acidity level of battery acid, the bane of any car owner tbh 😢

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
Looks amazing.

I’m gradually regretting not going for PPF wrap when mine was new. I had some bird droppings on the bonnet recently and even though I cleaned it off within a couple of days it had already eaten slightly into the finish leaving a dull matte mark. (Perhaps the ceramic treatment?)

I resolved it by *very gently* polishing with some Autglym scratch compound (seems less aggressive than T-Cut but still pretty aggressive!) in the affected area, and managed to totally remove a couple of tiny scratches at the same time. Then a gentle hand polish of the whole bonnet. Good as new. I was really conscious that I was probably removing most of the ceramic treatment though.

I’ve got some ceramic spray that I’ll try, but obviously not expecting that to be the same as what was applied from new.
Hi FieldMonster, If you decide to go with a mat PPF, look into XPEL Stealth Mat/Satin wrap. Company warrants the PPF Film for 10 years. It is 7.5mils thick. I am getting the roof of my Shale Blue Grenadier wrapped beginning tomorrow. I am doing it for 2 reasons. I once had a metallic Range Rover Sport with clear coat that got eaten away from excessively using the window washer jets cleaning my front wind shield. The window washing fluid in your car can eat into paint over time. Also, I am installing a low setting Leitner Design 3/4 rack and won't have easy access under it to clean the roof.
I figure wrapping the roof will give me at least 10 years protection. According to my installer you can remove it 10 years later without any paint damage. We will see.....
DaBull

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had my Audi RS7 wrapped and it is amazing - every surface covered, you can't tell and it's such a great feeling knowing that you are protected from gravel, bird waste, etc.

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:27 PM
Reaction score
So, I'm a big fan of PPF for vehicles, and was planning on the for the Grenadier, especially for tree branch swipes, etc. Just saw a picture of a Magic Mushroom (my color) done in a matte wrap, and I have to say it looks incredible. Might have to go Matte, really enhances the military/utilitarian look.
Yes, Iike it a lot. Suits well the surrounding of Dubai - not New England ;)

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I just scheduled my new Magic Mushroom Trialmaster to be dropped off next Monday for full body Matte Finish PPF wrap. Super excited, as I think this is going to look great on the MM - even more of a military vibe.

I've used the installer before and they are awesome. I'll be their third Grenadier.

I'll post pics!

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Looking forward to your pics.
I have been thinking about this too on my incoming MM.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Like you say it was probably the ceramic coating that was marked. I would enquire and see if it can be patched (for want of a better word), or topped up.

They may say that it is ok and it has not affected the coating.

Ceramic coating to that standard is not something I know really well.

I am however well versed in bird shite, that has the acidity level of battery acid, the bane of any car owner tbh 😢
Have to say, I am yet to be persuaded that ceramic is worth the cost over more traditional products. PPF is the only true protector and that too comes with caveats. The cost of it for one!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
I saw a matte finish’s olive green a few weeks ago. Looked great. Very much had a NATO vibe going on. Also have seen a few matte black, I’m sure there will be one with LV on it soon enough…..

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Just picked up the Grenadier with full-body Stealth (Matte) PPF - including roof, and I have to say it looks amazing! Makes the Magic Mushroom look even more purposeful and military/utilitarian, but isn't as dramatic as a lot of matte wraps I have seen on other colors. This looks like it has always been there. The team did an awesom job - took about a week and a half. Some pics below. Sorry it was overcast today, so they may not do a great job showing the effect.

Attachments

• IMG20240412165236.jpg
    IMG20240412165236.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG20240412164830.jpg
    IMG20240412164830.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG20240412164817.jpg
    IMG20240412164817.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG20240412164824.jpg
    IMG20240412164824.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG20240412164847.jpg
    IMG20240412164847.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 142

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Just picked up the Grenadier with full-body Stealth (Matte) PPF - including roof, and I have to say it looks amazing! Makes the Magic Mushroom look even more purposeful and military/utilitarian, but isn't as dramatic as a lot of matte wraps I have seen on other colors. This looks like it has always been there. The team did an awesom job - took about a week and a half. Some pics below. Sorry it was overcast today, so they may not do a great job showing the effect.
How long did it take for the detailer to get back to you and complete?
I've reached out to five different businesses listed as "Certified" installers by the respective film manufacturers' site (Stek, Xpel, 3M etc), each one provided an starting estimate on price ("Starting around..") however they have since been radio silent after asking either about estimated time frame to complete. Same occurs if I ask if they have a similar previous install/results they could reply back with picture(s) for reference.
/crickets

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the front wrapped with the ppf film (not mat, just protective). It covers the front grill, hood, front wheel arches etc. I also had them put the film on the sills where you step into the vehicle. I had this on my old Mercedes and it really keeps scratches and other abrasions off. If you are going off road and have the extra cash, just get it. You will be happy later!

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How long did it take for the detailer to get back to you and complete?
I've reached out to five different businesses listed as "Certified" installers by the respective film manufacturers' site (Stek, Xpel, 3M etc), each one provided an starting estimate on price ("Starting around..") however they have since been radio silent after asking either about estimated time frame to complete. Same occurs if I ask if they have a similar previous install/results they could reply back with picture(s) for reference.
/crickets
Hello, took about a week and a half, it was the second one they had done. I had used them previously for another vehicle. Hope that helps!

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
I got my LC150 wrapped in heavy duty matte PPF 3 years ago.
This picture is taken last year at the yearly retouching schedule.
It is great for the looks, great for protection, but I won't do it again on any other car I own for the following reasons:
1. Everything has to be disassembled for the PPF to be properly seated - door panels, handles, mirrors, taillights, headlights, misc trims. The bumpers have to be taken off.
2. Technicians who are working on it usually are paid poorly and don't give a shit if a clip is missing or the vapor barrier is not placed properly back, or they break something, or they cut too deep intro the paint surface when cutting the PPF, you won't see it anyway.
3. It is very expensive if you do a full wrap (but you cannot do half if it's matte), expect to pay more than a professional paint job.
4. The PPF gets scratched anyway and a tiny tear will become a bubble after you pressure wash over it several times, and you'll want to replace the PPF on the panel, which is more expensive than painting.
5. A deep scratch that bends the metal will have no problem to bend the panel through the PPF.
6. The PPF is degrading over time, some corners will peel off, others will get blown if you are not careful when you pressure-wash (and it's really impossible to avoid all edges, unless you do not wash the car in the first place). You'll have to do yearly maintenance if you want the 10-year-warranty, which is kinda expensive... I paid 1000EUR on my last yearly visit, which included removing the peeled and damaged parts, apply new PPF, apply special PPF protection (which, by the way, won't be the same color tone, see the pictures).
I much prefer the factory paint. Small scratches and paint chips can be DiY with color code retouch paint, lacquer and polish, there are a lot of tutorials on youtube. If it's too damaged, just get the whole panel painted and call it a day.

Later Edit: IG has a lot of aluminum panels. Aluminum panels, when dented/deformed, cannot be brought back into shape like steel ones. So there is no reason to protect the paint. Second point, scratches on the IG add to the patina and character. They tell stories. No way in hell I'm gonna get rid of them!

IMG_6614.jpeg

IMG_6613.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom