The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Making a spare key?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
Guy on FB had one cut by hand from a Renault blank.
All you then have to do is hide the main one under the car or in the bushes.
I've been meaning to visit my locksmith.

I was under the impression that a key in the door defeaats the alarm, and a key in the ignition disables the immobilizer - but that's not true? I thought someone on here did it very early on.

Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a key for remote adventurers then.
I'll have to take extra precautions.
I used to surf with my key in the wetsuit pocket - at least in Rhode Island. On Cape Cod, you just left the key in the ignition - no worries. I miss both those things: keys that can go surfing, and beach parking lots that were safe.

Local time
Reaction score
If you had an onboard safe, you could lock your factory RFID key in the safe, and use the mechanical key cut at the hardware store to manually lock and unlock the vehicle. Any problems with this option? Can someone use an RFID cloner or something like that?

Then @Tazzieman can go surfing with his key. The mechanical key will also be easier to tuck away if you are going for a run, or otherwise feel the need to travel light.

I've got one of these from Lock'er Down in my center console. Its a great place to leave your wallet and phone when out for a run.

locker_down_console_safe.jpg

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you had an onboard safe, you could lock your factory RFID key in the safe, and use the mechanical key cut at the hardware store to manually lock and unlock the vehicle. Any problems with this option? Can someone use an RFID cloner or something like that?

Then @Tazzieman can go surfing with his key. The mechanical key will also be easier to tuck away if you are going for a run, or otherwise feel the need to travel light.

I've got one of these from Lock'er Down in my center console. Its a great place to leave your wallet and phone when out for a run.

View attachment 7843181
I use this oversized lock box that fits larger RFID keys when I go surfing. I just connect it to my tow hooks on my New Defender and will do the same on the Grenadier. From my testing of it, if shields RFID signals so no one can clone it, (test yourself). It is an extremely robust lock box with a large thick shackle. No need for me to take a key with me when I go surfing. DaBull

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
I use this oversized lock box that fits larger RFID keys when I go surfing. I just connect it to my tow hooks on my New Defender and will do the same on the Grenadier. From my testing of it, if shields RFID signals so no one can clone it, (test yourself). It is an extremely robust lock box with a large thick shackle. No need for me to take a key with me when I go surfing. DaBull
Thanks DaBull, I’m ordering.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The crooks around here have these, so the key lockbox isn't a good option.
IMG_9196.jpeg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The crooks around here have these, so the key lockbox isn't a good option.
View attachment 7843217
Yes, that's always a possibility. Can't defeat a determined thief or maybe you can......
Perhaps use the lock box and put a dummy RFID Key inside it or no key and then hide your real key in a shielded RFID bag somewhere in the car that only you know where it is and then get a Non-RFID key blank made that works just the the door and you take that key surfing with you. Also add a label to the outside of the lock box that says "You are being recorded" and inside the box "F....U!
Love to piss them off. DaBull

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope the seal is on the Ineos key is as good as the Mitsubishi key. . A few years back I had a new 2012 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian. Within a few weeks of ownership I dropped the keys into the water at a Marina on the south coast of U.K. I marked the spot, ordered a sea searcher magnet on line then went back 5 days later and retrieved my keys. They worked first time to unlock and start the engine. Very impressed with that as Mitsubishi wanted a lot of money for a replacement set. 😍

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1) Removed battery from fob - key turns all the way to ignition success.
2) Removed key from fob - key turns just before point of ignition and stops. Can't start vehicle.
3) With key still removed from fob, but fob right next to key - same as #2.
4) Reattached key to fob, still no battery - key turns all the way to ignition success.

I called my local dealer to ask if they could make a key sans remote (with imbedded chip) and the rep I spoke to said he'd contact Ineos about it. He said he'd call me back later in the day with an update and he did. Ineos hasn't replied yet and he would follow-up again today.

Last edited:

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got a follow-up call from Sewell. They said Ineos doesn't offer a valet key type solution at this time. An Ineos parts rep was at the dealership yesterday and the valet key was suggested to them. Parts rep said it was a good idea since they hadn't thought of offering that. If you have an aftermarket alarm system, you'll still have to carry the bulky Ineos remote with you. Locksmiths won't be able to clone keys because Ineos will never share the transponder codes.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update: I was able to start the vehicle with the key like this...
1000003997.jpg
I think that's the transponder the arrow points to.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Guys,
I started a new thread on the key programming before I stumbled across this thread. As I suspected - the key setup is a typical transponder key with a remote so you SHOULD be able to simply find the key and program the transponder separate from the remote and have a “valet key”. I have done this many time on keyed vehicles and it works great. It appears the keys are the same as Renault and Peugeot, but I need to verify that the transponders from those vehicles can be programmed and I need to track down the programming sequence. In most vehicles you do NOT need the dealer to do this as long as you have at least one functioning master key that is programmed to the vehicle. With that key you can program the new key, subject to a sequence to program the key. I certainly hope that is the case and I am researching. As soon as I find the answer I will post it.

Any chance you can post some pictures of the other side of the board in the key? There is typically an FCC ID # for the remote and there might be a model # for the transponder as well. With those, you can track down the actual key manufacturer and the see what it cross references to. There is no way that INEOS didn’t just rob this from someone else, we just need to figure out who.

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom