The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Longer Wheel Base in the US

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
Playing what if; when the Grenadier is launched in the US, what is the likelihood the long base is an option.  Ineos will have a year under their belt and they have discuss providing the longer wheel base in the US.  Also, the pickup hopefully will have been launched and we all know the Grenadier long is based on the pickup 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on the other models. At least not yet: Ineos will have to manage a zillion things before launch and have a lot on their minds. Besides this they will first want to see how the Grenadier is adopted. Further decisions will likely be based on this feedback.

Nobody knows whether or not the Grendier will succeed or flop. Though I consider it an excellent car, they will be smart enough not to overdo things.

To make a long story short: It will take quite some time before they decide, develop, announce, test and finally deliver any new type. At least one, two, three years, I guess - not considered corona and war effects with all their supply chain uncertainties ...

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
emax said:
I wouldn't count on the other models. At least not yet: Ineos will have to manage a zillion things before launch and have a lot on their minds. Besides this they will first want to see how the Grenadier is adopted. Further decisions will likely be based on this feedback.

Nobody knows whether or not the Grendier will succeed or flop. Though I consider it an excellent car, they will be smart enough not to overdo things.

To make a long story short: It will take quite some time before they decide, develop, announce, test and finally deliver any new type. At least one, two, three years, I guess - not considered corona and war effects with all their supply chain uncertainties ...

If this Youtube video is to be believed, I'm not certain I agree with your analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3cihDh0tFY&t=4s

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps you're right. But I still think what I have already written in the first paragraph above. This doesn't necessarily exclude that they are trying concepts to be prepared in case the pickup or longer version comes.

And that's what the Grenadier in the video looks like. It is basically a cut off cabin on a seemingly elongated frame as you can see at the rear doors. Just to get the frame rolling and ridable. A concept perhaps?

We will see. But I still think, it's a long way and there is a yet biq question mark until the feedback of the now launching version is clearer.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
Seems strange then that the Grenadier website has consistently and still continues to promote people registering interest for a double cab pick up.

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
At a Prototype Tour event today, it was strongly suggested that the pickup and a longer wheelbase 3-row 6-7 passenger wagon are both under consideration.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Any  update from the event?

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
ADVAW8S said:
Any  update from the event?

Nothing outright new.  US reservations likely to close by June; Ineos wants to ensure that if you have a reservation in place, you'll get a Grenadier in 2023.

Same story as we've heard about the dealer network - independent automotive dealerships near population centers, white space filled by Bosch service centers for service.  When asked if the roll-out to the US would be geographically staged, the answer was that it would not be.

Heard a very emphatic answer that Ineos will do everything within their powers to ensure that reservation holders will pay MSRP.  I was a big doubter on this topic, but the answer was very honest and passionate, and makes me want to believe.  I am currently neutral to positive leaning on getting one at MSRP.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> “Additionally, a four-door crew-cab pickup truck is projected for 2023.“

Good to hear. I don't need one, but this increases the base of owners which is good for a stable product future.

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I forgot the "yeahbut" about the pickup.  For the US market, there is a 25% tax on imported commercial vehicles including pickup trucks, so the while the truck will be developed and most likely brought to the states, it's going to be 25% more than the wagons.

Ipe

Local time
Reaction score
If Ineos brings the pickup to the us it won't be as a commercial vehicle. It can't compete against full sized US pickups like the Ford Super Duty, GM or Ram 2500, 3500, or 4500 series trucks. No matter how much we like the Grenadier, it's not remotely in the same class and no commercial entity will buy the Grenadier over a truck that costs the same or less, and can do more

Hate to rain on that parade, but its the truth

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Dual cab utes/pickups are the most popular selling vehicle type in Australia so I can see a lot of people will be keen to get their hands on a Grenadier Ute.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The US simply protect one of their core competences.

Apart from this and in my (very personal) opinion a pickup is only a real pickup if you can put a motorbike on it. ?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Dirty.  All I can say is LBJ still haunts us with the chicken tax.  I wonder if they can come up with creative way to get around like sending the Grenadier almost completed except the bed.  Then they bolt on the bed and it is no longer assembled overseas.   

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@Ipe According to the tax regs, foreign produced pickups are commercial vehicles.  Not much wiggle room.

@ADVAW8S I know Ford and recently Dodge/Ram/Diamler tried some shenanigans to get around these taxes and it didn't end well for them.  LOL.

Ipe

Local time
Reaction score
Didn't know that. I'd hazard a guess that the US isn't getting the pickup then, unless Ineos invests in a US plant like Toyota and others have. I just don't see that happening for such a low production vehicle

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Despite the Ute/pickup coming on a longer wheelbase and being a big vehicle in the US it would still be a small pickup compared to the typical US competitors. 

Ipe

Local time
Reaction score
As a pickup I see it as a Tacoma or Gladiator competitor, or at least in that size category. Its not a full sized truck. So in the US and CA it would be a lifestyle vehicle mostly. Outdoorsy younger people with dirty equipment (mountain bikes, hiking/climbing gear, etc.). Seeing as younger people are probably not going to have the wherewithal to afford the Grenadier I see it being a hard sell here in North America.  

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@Ipe At the recent DC viewing, the Ineos reps were pretty confident the pickup would make it to to the US for "very special buyers."  They admit it would be expensive in class vs most mid-size trucks.  But if you look at what a Jeep Gladiator in Rubicon or Mojave trim with a heavy set of options goes for...  Hell, Grenadier pickup could make sense.

Back
Top Bottom