The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Longer Wheel Base in the US

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
I would say the pickup would become a collectors piece quickly.  I'm in, would have to get rid another ride but worth it. 

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
The Gladiator performed very poorly against other pickups in Australian testing and I am pretty sure the Grenadier would smash it offroad

Ipe

Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
"Very special buyers" is a euphemism for: money is no object, just give me the thing, my secretary, whatever his/her/its name is will wire you the funds 

When I was pricing the Rubicon and Mojave Gladiators a year or so ago I think they were MSRPing out at around 65k usd, give or take a bit. Maybe close to 70k. Thats a pretty stupidly huge number for what you are getting, or at least I think so. If the 25% tax on foreign pickups is something that cannot be avoided then the Grenadier pickup will eclipse the Gladiator numbers by 15-20k, and thats assuming that the MSRP pre tax were initially comparable to the Gladiators. I don't see how it could be. 

Now, years ago Subaru had the BRAT, a pickup style vehicle, and later an Outback version. Currently Hyundai has the Santa Cruz pickup-y thing. Perhaps there's a loophole that allows this sort of pickup to escape the tax? I donno... A quick interweb search brings up this comparison of the Ford Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz (Its a Canadian review and I've no idea if CA has this tax). There's a big price difference between the two vehicles but a lot of that seems to be equipment related. 

Either way, if the tax cannot be avoided then the Gladiator will be reserved for "VERY special buyers" and extreme enthusiasts only.  The typical Tacoma level buyer, well, while the Grenadier would be perfect, its going to be out of reach for most. 

Then again, what the heck do I know? The Gren P/U could be priced specially for the US market and will be dirt cheap. Miracles do happen sometimes. Hey, I've got a herd of unicorns I've been raising for their farts and hair. That stuff is like gold! Anyone interested? Oh, and I've got some ocean front property for sale in Kansas. I'll make you a super special deal on that! 
1f60e.png

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The Hyundai Santa Cruz is built in Alabama.  No chicken tax.  Same with the other import pickup trucks - Tundra and Tacoma in Texas, Titan in Tennessee, Frontier in Mississippi.

As I recall, the reason the Brat came with those funky jump seats in the bed (with seatbelts!) was to get it classified as a passenger vehicle and not commercial.

But yeah.  Let's say a Grenadier is possible at $60k in wagon form and the truck is no more money.  That's $72.5k with the tax.  You hit the nail on the head about the nature of "very special buyers.  Still, $72.5k isn't too far off from where fully loaded Gladiators can reach.  That said, the benchmark for the class, Tacoma TRD Pro, is about $50k MSRP.

Ipe

Local time
Reaction score
@d1rty, do you work in the industry?  Just curious. You seem to have a limitless depth of automotive knowledge.

FWIW, I think 60k for a Grenadier would be about as likely as a bumper crop harvest of unicorn hair. Then again,  you know stuff, so I'm probably wrong on this too  
1f604.png

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not in the industry, but I've loved cars since I was a little kid.  Just a regular dude likely on the spectrum but not diagnosed that dives too deep into things I'm passionate about.  Talented at open-source intelligence collection and a pretty good memory.  Pick me for your trivia teams.  LOL.

Local time
Reaction score
WOW had NO clue they will close the reservations.I respect that!  A company that actually wants to take care of customers and not have people mad.

Im also VERY glad I put in a reservation last night (just found the forum this AM)

d1rty said:
Nothing outright new.  US reservations likely to close by June; Ineos wants to ensure that if you have a reservation in place, you'll get a Grenadier in 2023.

Same story as we've heard about the dealer network - independent automotive dealerships near population centers, white space filled by Bosch service centers for service.  When asked if the roll-out to the US would be geographically staged, the answer was that it would not be.

Heard a very emphatic answer that Ineos will do everything within their powers to ensure that reservation holders will pay MSRP.  I was a big doubter on this topic, but the answer was very honest and passionate, and makes me want to believe.  I am currently neutral to positive leaning on getting one at MSRP.

Local time
Reaction score
If Ineos brings the pickup to the us it won't be as a commercial vehicle. It can't compete against full sized US pickups like the Ford Super Duty, GM or Ram 2500, 3500, or 4500 series trucks. No matter how much we like the Grenadier, it's not remotely in the same class and no commercial entity will buy the Grenadier over a truck that costs the same or less, and can do more.

Hate to rain on that parade, but its the truth
ur right, i can get f250 super duty for less, and fully loaded 2023, and it has solid axles, i like the looks on the inoes, but u cant disregard the superduty trucks

Back
Top Bottom