The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Land Rover Monthly (UK) April 2023

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
Interesting article, written by someone who appears to be coming at the Grenadier from the same angle I am, so perhaps more applicable to me than some of the other reviews.

Thanks for posting.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
Fair, balanced and thoughtful.

Interesting that he mentioned the number 1 topic over dinner was the vague steering.

Vague compared to what.

Clearly the majority of the auto reviewers are not consistently driving nor experienced in off road. I bet when they do, they do it in an SUV.

He didn't mention the infamous RHD footrest nor any other tech giltches mentioned in other reviews.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If vague steering is the only thing he can critique then we have an amazing vehicle on the way. I have been driving an old Triton with 14m turning circle and 7.6 turns to full lock from centre, it will be ok :whistle:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Clearly the majority of the auto reviewers are not consistently driving nor experienced in off road. I bet when they do, they do it in an SUV.
Maybe they shouldn't have been invited - and who's fault is that?

Why invite so many mainstream journalists to review a vehicle that is so focused and niche. The answer that it's unsuitable to take a place alongside the latest soft SUV should be a forgone conclusion. The metrics are just so far apart.

So what was the point?

Reader of "Auto Express", who were already aware of the vehicle through various articles published previously, but had absolutely no real interest in finding out more, have just learnt than it handles badly on the road and you can't see out the windscreen. Those two things are likely to follow the Grenadier around like the elbow out the window for the old Defender.

And then there's the cost of flying in, wining & dining maybe some 500 people. The event looked as big as JLR's launch of the new Defender but that was for a market 4 times the size. All those costs have to be paid by someone, and that someone is you and me, if you're purchasing a vehicle.

I'd much prefer to pay for engineering effort intrinsic to the vehicle rather than extrinsic guff.

I think it's been said on another of the threads, but it's the driving days with real potential customers getting behind the wheel that is going to sell this vehicle. Organising these, attending on the day, setting up display stands, answering the same questions over and over again, isn't quite as glamorous as swanning around private estates in Scotland but are the real hard yards when it comes to marketing this vehicle appropriately.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For the Downunder brigade, the local scribes who travelled to Scotland have been by and large positive. ( My local agent is pleased with the initial volume of full deposit payers for whom he's the nominated dealer.)
I expect once the dual cab emerges, he'll be swamped with new customers.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe they shouldn't have been invited - and who's fault is that?

Why invite so many mainstream journalists to review a vehicle that is so focused and niche. The answer that it's unsuitable to take a place alongside the latest soft SUV should be a forgone conclusion. The metrics are just so far apart.

So what was the point?

Reader of "Auto Express", who were already aware of the vehicle through various articles published previously, but had absolutely no real interest in finding out more, have just learnt than it handles badly on the road and you can't see out the windscreen. Those two things are likely to follow the Grenadier around like the elbow out the window for the old Defender.

And then there's the cost of flying in, wining & dining maybe some 500 people. The event looked as big as JLR's launch of the new Defender but that was for a market 4 times the size. All those costs have to be paid by someone, and that someone is you and me, if you're purchasing a vehicle.

I'd much prefer to pay for engineering effort intrinsic to the vehicle rather than extrinsic guff.

I think it's been said on another of the threads, but it's the driving days with real potential customers getting behind the wheel that is going to sell this vehicle. Organising these, attending on the day, setting up display stands, answering the same questions over and over again, isn't quite as glamorous as swanning around private estates in Scotland but are the real hard yards when it comes to marketing this vehicle appropriately.
The Grenadier is not a mainstream car by any stretch of the imagination - so why invite the more mainstream auto publications although who's to say that hardcore off roader don't also buy these publications.

I suspect that once a publication had been invited to attend, INEOS probably couldn't nominate which journalist they wanted but one would assuming the publication would send the most appropriate journalist

Back
Top Bottom