The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Key Programming / New Key

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
Ok guys - I have another pretty technical question. Anyone have any idea how to program a new key? I know that most people are going to say “go to the dealer”, but there has to be a procedure? Typically speaking, with a real key there is a chip in the key and the programing can be done manually once the key is actually cut at the dealer or by a locksmith as long as you have a currently programmed key. This can typically be done with the VIN# and a copy of an insurance card that shows you own the vehicle.

I have not yet tried to figure out the manufacturer of the key and fob, but the general configuration is something that all of the EU care manufactures have used in the past (VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc) so likely Sekurit (I think). I am looking to put a spare key under the vehicle without the push buttons (valet key) so that if I lose one I can at least start the car and drive it.

If anyone has pulled the key apart and has the FCC #’s I might be able to track the key down. I know there has to be an answer, other than going to the dealer, and I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Thanks!

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok another option is the part # on the key if someone has that as well. I am pretty sure the key and the fob are separate parts, but there might be a part # for just a regular key. Toyota has done this for decades, even with the Lexus brand, and most of the EU cars as well, they just call it a valet key.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I first asked a local locksmith if he could make a copy of my key. He said he hadn't heard of a Grenadier and didn't have the codes for it. I then asked my dealer if they could make a key without the fob. I was told that they don't offer only a key with a chip. An Ineos parts rep was at the dealership at the time. The local rep asked him about a key and chip option, sans fob. The parts rep thought that was a good idea. The local rep told me that Ineos will never share the codes with 3rd parties.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:07 PM
Reaction score
There is a thread here somewhere but the blank is off of a fiat, I believe. That shod get the locksmith going. You can make a black that will open the door but not start the car.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:07 PM
Reaction score
There is a thread here somewhere but the blank is off of a fiat, I believe. That shod get the locksmith going. You can make a black that will open the door but not start the car.
Yes, I think that thread mentioned a Peugeot Key Blank as their blade blanks are thinner to match the Grenader. If so, you could get a blank one cut and use it to just open the door and then retrieve a Grenadier Key you have hidden somewhere inside the vehicle. A blank key will not allow you to start the vehicle.
Not sure if using a blank key would set off the alarm or not.
DaBull

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am going to see if I can track down a Fiat or Peugeot Key that ONLY has the transponder and not the remotes (valet key). I have done this on all of my older Land Cruisers (99 and 01) and it works great. All you have to do it go through the manual programming process for the vehicle to recognize a new key. You don’t need TechStream or anything plugged into the ODB2 - just a current key and the new key. There is a pretty long sequence of inserting the key, removing the key, opening the door, lock and unlock manually and then you can insert the new key and the vehicle will learn the transponder code. For Toyota you are limited to a total of either 4 or 6 total key’s and it just kicks out the older key in the memory. This can get a little tricky if you are programming with the oldest key, but at least you will have a key when the new one is programmed. There are only a handful of companies that actually manufacture the transporder keys (remote or valet). The biggest thing is to get the transponder codes correct and the FCC ID for the remote if you want to also program that. Now - programming the actual remote is an entirely different sequence on the Toyota, but again, it can be done manually as long as you have at least one functioning remote.

The below link shows all of the various transponder references for the different Peugeot keys. I am on the road this week so I don’t have my key, but if anyone has opened up the key and could post a picture of the FCC number of model number I can likely narrow this down for a real answer.

A regular old Peugeot transponder key is $4.50

1713882309019.jpg

IG Pop

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am going to see if I can track down a Fiat or Peugeot Key that ONLY has the transponder and not the remotes (valet key)…
Wasn’t there talk about Renault keys?

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have not seen that, but again - there are only a handful of key manufacturers so it is possible that Renault, Peugeot and Fiat all use the same key platform.

The Renault and Peugeot keys are both on Amazon in the US and look VERY similar. The buttons are a little different, but the blades and cases look virtually identical.

1713883289493.jpg

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One more piece of information - the key appears to be an HU83 type blade that is used on Peugeot, Fiat and some Renault. There are a couple of videos showing the replacement of cases on these keys and the inner boards look identical to what is in the Grenadier.

Also, it appears that the remote is likely programmed separately from the key transponder per the below link.

View: https://youtu.be/0uqzNs3nf9E?si=tojc_M8YsnYoK-p0

I also found another link that goes into detail on the the key programming itself and it does appear that you will need the dealer or a locksmith to do the programming.

View: https://youtu.be/6QuX7c3QMDs?si=9J_RTrx7ncCTX5IW

Now I just need to figure out exactly what the FCC code is and what the correct transponder codes are, but I am going to guess it is going to be identical to a Peugeot.

Back
Top Bottom