The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Ideas on drawer systems

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
This photo

358092513_6729997850384562_7235145383745760088_n.jpg
Shows a big issue that I haven’t seen dealt with yet. How to utilise the space around (above, front and back) the oddly shaped wheel humps.
In this design particularly on the RHS there is heaps of room that will either be unused, or at best have stuff shoved in to try and fill unfilled gaps.
The LHS is really wasted space, as you can’t really load it without disrupting the operation of the fridge slide.

Easy to just chuck draws in, but harder to make clear use of this space. Something to ponder /work through.
My fridge slide will sit in the same area. I think there is enough room to build (prob using Aluminium extrusions and corner connectors) , a cage (or panelled frame) to go over the fridge and allow some attachments. Then again , it may be easier just to stow soft bags in that space. You still have to be able to access the jack.
So many ,yet so few possibilities, which I can't properly explore until the vehicle arrives!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
This photo

Shows a big issue that I haven’t seen dealt with yet. How to utilise the space around (above, front and back) the oddly shaped wheel humps.
In this design particularly on the RHS there is heaps of room that will either be unused, or at best have stuff shoved in to try and fill unfilled gaps.
The LHS is really wasted space, as you can’t really load it without disrupting the operation of the fridge slide.

Easy to just chuck draws in, but harder to make clear use of this space. Something to ponder /work through.
I remember when I first saw the Grenadier at Ragley, last year. I was hoping then that they may have considered squaring off the wheel arches in the same way as the old Defender. Would have made modifications far easier and in my opinion, far nicer.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've got some good ideas to make use of plenty of space. Will definitely share them. Alot of these manufactures are just building generic stuff that can hopefully be used by mass market. To make use of the space it really has to be custom.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I remember when I first saw the Grenadier at Ragley, last year. I was hoping then that they may have considered squaring off the wheel arches in the same way as the old Defender. Would have made modifications far easier and in my opinion, far nicer.
Yep, I’d have given up the required cubic centimeters for a squared off finish.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
Yep, I’d have given up the required cubic centimeters for a squared off finish.
I hoping something like this will come along. It’s for a Toyota 4Runner but the concept would be perfect - especially for the right side piece over the fuel filler. Very weird setup in the Gren.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hoping something like this will come along. It’s for a Toyota 4Runner but the concept would be perfect - especially for the right side piece over the fuel filler. Very weird setup in the Gren.
I could imagine having the plastic shroud / Trim panels manufactured in such a way as to provide something more suitable. Would certainly provide a cleaner look.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
My idea for the drawers was as follows. I wanted a sleeping surface of 170 cm which is my height. I removed part of the seat and folded the backrest. The system should be quick to remove. I didn't want much metal, so I glued it with wooden dowels. My carpenter cut the poplar wood 15 mm thick for me and later constructed drawers for me. The system stands on felt, is screwed into the airline rails and each other and consists of two parts. The drawers can be removed. My Engel fridge will be on the right in the direction of travel, for which I have placed a new power socket from the auxiliary battery in the lid of the right-hand shelf. I have ordered a mattress to lie on, two-part folding so that I can use the rear space as a complete loading area. Here are a few more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpeg
    IMG_7832.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_7731.jpeg
    IMG_7731.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_7744.jpeg
    IMG_7744.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7730.jpeg
    IMG_7730.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7728.jpeg
    IMG_7728.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_7727.jpeg
    IMG_7727.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7725.jpeg
    IMG_7725.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_7609.jpeg
    IMG_7609.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_7611.jpeg
    IMG_7611.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7612.jpeg
    IMG_7612.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 196

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My idea for the drawers was as follows. I wanted a sleeping surface of 170 cm which is my height. I removed part of the seat and folded the backrest. The system should be quick to remove. I didn't want much metal, so I glued it with wooden dowels. My carpenter cut the poplar wood 15 mm thick for me and later constructed drawers for me. The system stands on felt, is screwed into the airline rails and each other and consists of two parts. The drawers can be removed. My Engel fridge will be on the right in the direction of travel, for which I have placed a new power socket from the auxiliary battery in the lid of the right-hand shelf. I have ordered a mattress to lie on, two-part folding so that I can use the rear space as a complete loading area. Here are a few more pictures.
That is very nice. I think I will try and produce something similar. Always a good sense of accomplishment when it is something you have made yourself. Provided, of course that it looks professional enough.

RyanT

Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Buzz setup looks good.
@buzzspecialvehicles do you have an idea of total weight for this?

Drawings:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for positive comment. Much appreciated. We haven't physically weighed it yet, but will do soon. I'll be sure to post back once we have a confirmed figure.

This photo

Hi Bigleonski,

We hear you on this. The Grenadier has quite awkward wheel well plastics. We've been thinking of ways to try and utilise this space a bit better, you'll see an ARB twin air compressor mount tucked up above the wheel well on the right hand side. The left hand side bracket for the cargo rack does have mole panel cutouts and a fair amount of holes for M6 bolts for future brackets or accessories. We are always open to ideas, so if you ever have any suggestions please don't hesitate to let us know.

An alternative setup we'll be offering would be to have two drawers side by side with a timber deck on top profiled to the damp of the boot. This setup may be more suited to certain users use case than the one in the photo above.

Cheers
Ryan

Attachments

• System Option 2-3.jpg
    System Option 2-3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 185
  • System Option 2.jpg
    System Option 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 195

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Thanks for positive comment. Much appreciated. We haven't physically weighed it yet, but will do soon. I'll be sure to post back once we have a confirmed figure.

Hi Bigleonski,

We hear you on this. The Grenadier has quite awkward wheel well plastics. We've been thinking of ways to try and utilise this space a bit better, you'll see an ARB twin air compressor mount tucked up above the wheel well on the right hand side. The left hand side bracket for the cargo rack does have mole panel cutouts and a fair amount of holes for M6 bolts for future brackets or accessories. We are always open to ideas, so if you ever have any suggestions please don't hesitate to let us know.

An alternative setup we'll be offering would be to have two drawers side by side with a timber deck on top profiled to the damp of the boot. This setup may be more suited to certain users use case than the one in the photo above.

Cheers
Ryan
Thanks for the comeback. After seeing a few youtube vids recently of a 76 series set up, I thought incorporating gullwings to replace the windows and then using some of this space for access from the outside could be an option. Either for storage space or external access to 12 volt power outlets perhaps. Anyway, more to think about.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have decided to go for one large drawer with internal dividers rather than two drawers.
Reasons are:
Weight - only one pair of slides,
Cost - See above.
Space - Each slide takes up some room as does the central mount that the two inner slides would have too be mounted on, I reckoned I‘d lose 70-90mm with two drawer setup.

The downside of a single drawer is that the floor of the drawer and the new floor of the boot will be over a meter wide and so I will have to make sure they don’t sag under load. The internal dividers in the drawer will stiffen it but I might have to get more creative with the top. Its only just over a meter wide so a piece of 18mm ply should suffice, but we’ll see.

Any thoughts? Bad idea?

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Check out existing posts on Big Country drawer system, supplied by APB of Kidderminster.
They’re selling faster than they can get them in. Good South African product, built with many years of experience in overlanding and commercial use.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have decided to go for one large drawer with internal dividers rather than two drawers.
Reasons are:
Weight - only one pair of slides,
Cost - See above.
Space - Each slide takes up some room as does the central mount that the two inner slides would have too be mounted on, I reckoned I‘d lose 70-90mm with two drawer setup.

The downside of a single drawer is that the floor of the drawer and the new floor of the boot will be over a meter wide and so I will have to make sure they don’t sag under load. The internal dividers in the drawer will stiffen it but I might have to get more creative with the top. Its only just over a meter wide so a piece of 18mm ply should suffice, but we’ll see.

Any thoughts? Bad idea?
3mm aluminium angle on front and back edge. Caps the material you are using. Protects it and adds strength without losing space.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Check out existing posts on Big Country drawer system, supplied by APB of Kidderminster.
They’re selling faster than they can get them in. Good South African product, built with many years of experience in overlanding and commercial use.
I wasn't going to post on that thread but there are details showing in the photos that leave me underwhelmed.

The large gaps on the drawer fronts. Rear right corner side/back join doesn't look square. Top trim piece sticks up on front right. Is it just bolted together with slotted holes? Carpet looks very cheap.

Sorry...

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The carpet isn’t Axminster, that’s for sure, but it’s robust and fit for the purpose it’s applied for. Besides, it’s going to get wet and dirty on a regular basis.
Fit and finish are fine as far as I’m concerned. I’ve been using them for nearly a month now with no gripes and groans, apart from a screw on the underside that’s rubbing on the bottom of the right drawer.
Once I’ve figured out how to remove the drawer, I’ll address the issue.
There’s two filler plates (one either side of the drawers that need to be fitted with a bit of tweaking; this is because there will always be a few mils variation in every vehicle.
One thing is for sure though, and that is that there are no squeaks or rattles coming from the set up.
The drawers are carpet lined too, as well as the movable dividers.

Big Country have been around a long time, and build a product that’s meant for full time use.

Bespoke build might be more to your liking, and I’m sure you’ll be able to buy the build quality that meets your standards. Please post pics when you get yours, as I appreciate a quality build.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another aspect of the Big Country drawer system which I only discovered today is that the “carpet” material used is compatible with the hooked side of Velcro.
Having a few metres of 1” strips of Velcro I’ve now glued lengths of the hooked part onto the underside of my fridge, power station and other flat bottomed containers, as well as the movable drawer partitions.
This has totally stopped any items that aren’t already lashed to the luggage eyes from sliding around whilst on rough terrain.
It’s not a replacement for securing loads properly, but it really helps.

Whether this was intentional from Big Country or coincidental, I’ve no idea, but it’s definitely a hidden bonus.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not assembled yet. A few things changed since my first concept, this was due to the fridge slide (slide it solutions) I had a measurement wrong, nonetheless very happy with the slide. It's resulted in some tight tolerances.
52 litre bushman fridge. 35L water tank behind the fridge and drawer. Drawer cavity is 700mm x 580ishmm wide.
Will have drop in sides, and with the fridge out a drop in panel for a level floor once again.

Attachments

• PXL_20230914_023142464.jpg
    PXL_20230914_023142464.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 144
Back
Top Bottom