The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

HVAC controls and directed airflow

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
So after a little investigation this morning, here is where the air goes on the different settings on my Grenadier HVAC controls.

1712787769736.jpg

I'll take the trace air flow to be just where the damper flaps are leaking a little.
I hope this helps some others try and work out how to operate the controls.

The AC, temp control and recirculation should all work in all combinations of the above.
With the auto function you just have control over the temperature, fan speed and air direction are controlled by HAL9000
The windscreen de-mister overrides the above sending all air flow to the windscreen at max temp and fan speed.

Now that stuff is out of the way, does anyone have the same results?

As a side note my AC has now become intermittent with the ability to select or not and the auto function doesn't work at all as of this morning.....

Attachments

• HVAC Air Flow Settings.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 36

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
I am convinced there is some air leak in my HVAC. I also have trace air issues on various settings. Today I had hot air coming through the face vents while cold air was coming through the windshield (defrost) vents :unsure:.

Also while traveling at about 80mph and with the vent in the defrost setting (Auto off) - if I turn on recirculate it reduces wind noise significantly.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
I am keen to try all my settings against your table now. It all seems to be working correctly except for the random extra blowing we get now and then. With no fan/air conditioning on we get randons gusts coming mainly from footwell areas. Then with fan on one, blower speed increases again from footwell and some face vents. Always for a short period but just random. From what I have noticed it's when it's on recirculate so I'm not sure if it some cabin pressure equalisation function or something.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
So after a little investigation this morning, here is where the air goes on the different settings on my Grenadier HVAC controls.

View attachment 7852520

I'll take the trace air flow to be just where the damper flaps are leaking a little.

The AC, temp control and recirculation should all work in all combinations of the above.
With the auto function you just have control over the temperature, fan speed and air direction are controlled by HAL9000
The windscreen de-mister overrides the above sending all air flow to the windscreen at max temp and fan speed.

As a side note my AC has now become intermittent with the ability to select or not and the auto function doesn't work at all as of this morning.....
Does fan speed 4 make a loud high frequency noise too!

I had my fan module (behind the glove box) changed and it’s exactly the same as before. I was told by my service agents that the high frequency noise only appears when plumbed in and therefore nothing wrong with this part.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7852520

This is exactly what I was doing last weekend, though you have taken it a notch higher by creating a spreadsheet.
The windscreen air is pretty annoying since it fogs up the windshield from time to time.
Imagine my wife looking at me while she wipes the fogged windshield ...
fog GIF by Gif Gif A Chance

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I am convinced there is some air leak in my HVAC. I also have trace air issues on various settings. Today I had hot air coming through the face vents while cold air was coming through the windshield (defrost) vents :unsure:.

Also while traveling at about 80mph and with the vent in the defrost setting (Auto off) - if I turn on recirculate it reduces wind noise significantly.
I get strange temperature fluctuations as well. I’m going to get in there with a probe next and get some measurements. But the “I know it’s true but haven’t tested it yet” feeling is there for the temp. 72 f isn’t 72, the thermostat feels way off.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
The irony of the Automatic HVAC control system and resultant issues (unsurprisingly for a new auto maker imo) is that it could have entirely been avoided if the designers had stuck to Ratcliffe’s original plan of making the Grenadier the gold standard of the KISS principle. I was looking forward to a base model with manual controls for everything (well, other than the door windows and locks - that’s a red line in the sand for my wife and kids). Big nice HVAC control levers on the dash to control all the hot and cold air that would outlast the life of the vehicle…
1712847208788.jpeg

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
The irony of the Automatic HVAC control system and resultant issues (unsurprisingly for a new auto maker imo) is that it could have entirely been avoided if the designers had stuck to Ratcliffe’s original plan of making the Grenadier the gold standard of the KISS principle. I was looking forward to a base model with manual controls for everything (well, other than the door windows and locks - that’s a red line in the sand for my wife and kids). Big nice HVAC control levers on the dash to control all the hot and cold air that would outlast the life of the vehicle…
View attachment 7852601
Exactly. Missed opportunity and given the HVAC wackiness, it would have been wise. I’m a big fan and love my truck, but it falls miserably short in the HVAC category when compared to a 15YO Honda Fit. Seriously disappointed on this front.

Karearea

Production/Transit
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7852520

HAL was reading your thoughts and is taking action maybe 😉

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
Wow this is incredibly disappointing to see how inaccurate it is fan speed to fan speed location to location. Seems like they cheaped out big time on some stuff. HVAC is pitiful, the display is so slow I can make a cup of tea.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had a weird thing happen a couple days ago where the rear vents were blowing warm air with the heater on, but cool air up front. Significant difference in temps. Closed the rear vents and it warmed up the front as it redirected the warmer air. The next morning, heater on, warm air from all vents. Strange.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
I'll just add the the circular vents aren't very aim-able. Which is counter to their shape. Am I doing something wrong?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I had a weird thing happen a couple days ago where the rear vents were blowing warm air with the heater on, but cool air up front. Significant difference in temps. Closed the rear vents and it warmed up the front as it redirected the warmer air. The next morning, heater on, warm air from all vents. Strange.
Had that as well. So you’re not alone.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
I am also not happy with the HVAC, erratic behaviour, one day it blows hot, the next day cold, same settings, untill I play around with the buttons. I still don't understand the pattern :-(

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Stopped using Auto ages ago after getting jack of the fogged windscreen thing, and my life is better for it.

I get a really annoying whistle when using face+footwell setting that increases with ground speed, so its either face or footwell for me. Also get a regular cascading water sound from behind the dash which I believe is HVAC related (car is kept undercover and generally out of the rain), strangely this occurs even with the air-con switch off (sounds like water coming off the aircon evaporator). I get the feeling the air-con still activates to some extent even if dash switch is off.

Back
Top Bottom