The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How does the Gren crash?

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

With some Grenadiers on roads now, I'm hoping that we can share information on what we learn about the Grenadier's crash-worthiness.

While I sincerely hope that none of us ever experience this, the fact is that as far as a significant risk goes, an automobile crash is one of the highest risks we all face when we choose to get behind the wheel, and so vehicle safety is no joke; for me personallly it's one of the main reasons I'm interested in the Grenadier over a much older vehicle - modern cars are demonstrably safer than old ones.

If you find any information about the Grenadier's crash test rating/worthiness, please post them here. If there are any dashcam videos, post them too.

Here's an example from one of the competitors -- this is the New Defender in a significant crash. All of the occupants walked away, which is a testament to modern vehicle design I think:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

With some Grenadiers on roads now, I'm hoping that we can share information on what we learn about the Grenadier's crash-worthiness.

While I sincerely hope that none of us ever experience this, the fact is that as far as a significant risk goes, an automobile crash is one of the highest risks we all face when we choose to get behind the wheel, and so vehicle safety is no joke; for me personallly it's one of the main reasons I'm interested in the Grenadier over a much older vehicle - modern cars are demonstrably safer than old ones.

If you find any information about the Grenadier's crash test rating/worthiness, please post them here. If there are any dashcam videos, post them too.

Here's an example from one of the competitors -- this is the New Defender in a significant crash. All of the occupants walked away, which is a testament to modern vehicle design I think:

Am I not correct in thinking that the grenadier has not been crash tested. And is not legally required to do so in the UK and EU.

Local time
Reaction score
Probably pretty well if it crashes into a Honda civic.
I remember when I had my H1 there was a pic floating around of a crash between an H1 and a civic.
The civic didnt do to well.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
Am I not correct in thinking that the grenadier has not been crash tested. And is not legally required to do so in the UK and EU.
I thought there was a video of the Gren getting crash tested.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I thought there was a video of the Gren getting crash tested.

Exactly why I started this thread - for discussion and resources related to it's crash safety! It looks like as of June of 2023 it has not been crash tested in Europe, but I believe crash testing is required in the USA/Canadian market so I imagine we will see some tests in the next few months.

It also looks like there is some speculation that it will not receive a 5 star rating, but it is just speculation and the criteria on what makes 4 vs 5 star may be minor (i.e. 5 star might require lots of technical features like lane departure that the Gren doesn't - and likely shouldn't - have, though I did read they are doing that in NA as some of this stuff is required by law).

Probably pretty well if it crashes into a Honda civic.
I remember when I had my H1 there was a pic floating around of a crash between an H1 and a civic.
The civic didnt do to well.

I suppose there's two ways to look at it - the crash of the vehicle itself (i.e. which vehicle had the lower $$ on the repair bill) and the fate of the occupants. I'm personally more interested in the latter; I don't care about the car at the end of the day because insurance would get me a new one if I crashed it to the point of a write-off. But, I have to be around to enjoy the new one, and so the safety of the occupants is the most important part. I recognize that bigger vehicles will typically fare well in most accidents with smaller vehicles, but smaller vehicles can have exceptional survivability in a crash these days even if the car is destroyed. A lot of this tech is driven from racing -- F1 cars are hardly "big" and some of the crashes are incredibly violent, but the drivers walk away because of good engineering and design. An anecdotal example would be my neighbors once had a Subaru wagon and ended up in a head on collision at 80 KPH with an older Suburban. Their vehicle was completely written off but the occupants - a mother and two kids - walked away with fewer injuries than the Suburban driver had. To a degree this is luck of the draw, but the kinds of injuries the Suburban driver had suggest a lot of energy got transferred from the crash into the fleshy meat sack that carries our brains around, whereas the Subaru folks had a few bruises from seatbelts and airbags, but were otherwise fine. This is what a car that "Crashes well" needs to do.

On the other hand, it also has to be robust enough to not trigger airbags when off road and going through the usual drops and bumps that come with that environment, which is not unheard of in some modern 4x4s. For example, this is no bueno (and apparently could have been avoided by flicking a switch, which is a good compromise between safety and off road ability):

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
They crashed it several ways but didn’t classify the results officially. This would mean to be compared with other crashed cars for example from the NCAP for example. But there are many active and passive safety gadgets needed for getting the higher results. Unfortunately those gadgets do not exist for the Grenadier at the moment…

Back
Top Bottom