The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hi from California & test drive report

Local time
2:23 PM
Reaction score

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Excellent post! Fascinating to me how the grenadier has attracted such a like-minded following. I haven’t seen a grenadier in person. I’m hoping to get the chance to attend a driving event. I very much appreciate your honest, concise review. Definitely cast another vote for a heated steering wheel. Lack of that in the price range they’re hoping to be is completely insane. Functionality. Maximum reliability. Durability. Quality value. That’s the brief. I’m expecting to pay $85k for an extremely loaded Trialmaster (safari windows, leather, winch, extra battery, rock sliders, roof rack, etc). I’m optimistic that’s where it will be and what it will deliver. It might have to be a second model year to get the heated wheel. There won’t be a second model year unless they get those fundamentals right though.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
Are you allowed to even buy a fossil fuel car in California??? You know I jest!

One thing you mentioned was the arm rest (lack of). I think that will require an accessory Aftermarket part!

Nice review for the purpose of the vehicle, and what your are looking for.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
Excellent post! Fascinating to me how the grenadier has attracted such a like-minded following. I haven’t seen a grenadier in person. I’m hoping to get the chance to attend a driving event. I very much appreciate your honest, concise review. Definitely cast another vote for a heated steering wheel. Lack of that in the price range they’re hoping to be is completely insane. Functionality. Maximum reliability. Durability. Quality value. That’s the brief. I’m expecting to pay $85k for an extremely loaded Trialmaster (safari windows, leather, winch, extra battery, rock sliders, roof rack, etc). I’m optimistic that’s where it will be and what it will deliver. It might have to be a second model year to get the heated wheel. There won’t be a second model year unless they get those fundamentals right though.
I am not quite sure that the desperate need for heated steering wheels already has spread enough over the world to stop a second model year…

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Are you allowed to even buy a fossil fuel car in California??? You know I jest!

One thing you mentioned was the arm rest (lack of). I think that will require an accessory Aftermarket part!

Nice review for the purpose of the vehicle, and what your are looking for.
About the only 4wd I’ve ever driven with an internal armrest (other then a good sized center console) was an old Pajero Exceed. And the damn thing just got in the way so was always pushed back upright against the seat.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
About the only 4wd I’ve ever driven with an internal armrest (other then a good sized center console) was an old Pajero Exceed. And the damn thing just got in the way so was always pushed back upright against the seat.
My DII had them, and later RRCs had them too. While these aren't 70-series LCs, their off-road abilities are well documented.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My DII had them, and later RRCs had them too. While these aren't 70-series LCs, their off-road abilities are well documented.
I just can’t see the need - my left elbow (or in the case of the US, the right) sits very comfortably on the centre console and has much more wriggle room.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just can’t see the need - my left elbow (or in the case of the US, the right) sits very comfortably on the centre console and has much more wriggle room.
I was just pointing out that some off-roaders have them, but I have no issues with them. I'm not a big guy, so the console as an armrest doesn't always work for me.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
Triton, Ranger, Dmax, they all have it ;) As well as LC200 300 Prado etc ;)

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Triton, Ranger, Dmax, they all have it ;) As well as LC200 300 Prado etc ;)
Then we are definitely talking about a different thing. I assume you’re talking about an armrest built into the door, which all cars have, not a drop down armrest built into the seat on the interior side.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Today my wife and I attended the Santa Clarita Los Angeles drive at the Rowher Off-Road grounds. Impressed with how incredibly stout & overbuilt all the suspension components are. Exterior build quality equally impressive. Interior was more luxurious than I was expecting, which was great, just the right balance between built for purpose and a very nice interior. Shout out to our Ineos co-pilot Emily and Tim from Ineos for their assistance and knowledge. The approach and departure angles were exceptional, could not believe we did not scrape or bottom out on some of the steep hills & valleys. No squeaks or rattles. In addition to the automatic shift mode, I wished it also had an automatic sport mode and not just a manual tiptronic type mode. Still need to decide between Eldoret Blue and Scottish White. Leaning towards Scottish White with an inky black roof. All the black details contrast extremely well on both colors. The Scottish White is an interesting color as it has a rich ivory color to it at an angle, however when you walk straight up to it, it turns to a brighter white. Experiencing the Ineos Grenadier in person and driving it left me even more impressed than all the prior photos and reviews combined. Looking forward to completing my final configuration, contract, build and taking delivery sometime in late 2023 or first quarter 2024. Worth the wait!

Attachments

• Event Gathering.jpeg
    Event Gathering.jpeg
    725.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Ineos Grenadier.jpeg
    Ineos Grenadier.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Paint Colors.jpeg
    Paint Colors.jpeg
    890.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Eldoret Blue.jpeg
    Eldoret Blue.jpeg
    862.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Scottish White - P7.jpeg
    Scottish White - P7.jpeg
    810.6 KB · Views: 63
  • The Outback.jpg
    The Outback.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 79

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting that the silver shows no blue in the shade. Almost looks like bare metal and very industrial.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting that the silver shows no blue in the shade. Almost looks like bare metal and very industrial.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi BD1, your right about the silver color. In the shade is is a very light silver and in the sun it is a blue silver, likely from
reflecting the blue sky. Here's two photos I took of the same Grenadier. One on the shady side and one on the sunny side.
I like the silver color and black contrast a lot, however I already own a silver 2020 defender and am looking at mixing it up
this time. Enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• Sterling Silver - Shady Side.jpeg
    Sterling Silver - Shady Side.jpeg
    798.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Sterling Silver - Sunny Side.jpeg
    Sterling Silver - Sunny Side.jpeg
    905.2 KB · Views: 74

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
DaBull - thanks!

Local time
Reaction score
I wish I could have made it to the LA event. My show had to change shooting schedule due to weather so I was stuck at the studio:(. Hopefully I can get a test drive soon.

Local time
Reaction score
Unless the passenger is wearing clown shoes there shouldn't be a problem
No one in my party (LA Event) had a problem with it, but we couldn’t ride shotgun during the drive, as that’s where the instructor sat.

Local time
Reaction score
Ha, each to their own on the arm rests. Maybe Ineos can throw in some free yoga classes as an alternative to the Belstaff jacket ;)

As someone who likes to stretch out, I had to make a conscious effort to move my feet to the right. But it wasn't a concern and I think I'd get used to it very quickly. I can see why it's a problem for RHD vehicles though.

The BMW gear selector took some getting used to - I hadn't used one before and at the end of the drive I was trying to figure out how to put the thing into park (for the uninitiated, you have to press a button on the side). But for me that goes into the "quirk" bucket and isn't necessarily a problem.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
I have it. Doesn’t take any time at all to get used to and, in an automatic, you’re not touching it that much. I’m sure it’s even less in the Grenadier than a BMW, as there’s no “manual” selection.

Local time
Reaction score
Ha, each to their own on the arm rests. Maybe Ineos can throw in some free yoga classes as an alternative to the Belstaff jacket ;)

As someone who likes to stretch out, I had to make a conscious effort to move my feet to the right. But it wasn't a concern and I think I'd get used to it very quickly. I can see why it's a problem for RHD vehicles though.

The BMW gear selector took some getting used to - I hadn't used one before and at the end of the drive I was trying to figure out how to put the thing into park (for the uninitiated, you have to press a button on the side). But for me that goes into the "quirk" bucket and isn't necessarily a problem.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
My biggest problem will be learning how to drive an automatic. Nah. Kidding. I drove rentals and only accidentally left foot stomped the brakes a few times.

Local time
Reaction score
Great first post and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure there will be more US impressions of the Grenadier as the test drives keep rolling out. Thanks for your opinion, especially on price, I think you're on the mark with things for North America :)
Agreed this has to be less than the current Defender costs to grab my attention otherwise I can get a Bronco or Jeep with similar capabilities. BTW i have already found 4 sites that have after market parts for the Grenadier...that also tells you something that this thing is here to stay and comapnies see that its built solid. It took 2 years for the current Land rover Defender to have after market parts even so companies are not sold on commiting to manufacturing after market parts for it. Im sure companies like ARB will come out with some great for the Grenadier for aftermarket parts too.

Back
Top Bottom