The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hi from California & test drive report

Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi from California!

I test drove one of the PT02 Grenadier prototypes this week and thought this forum might be interested in another review....

For background, I'm looking for a safe reliable vehicle for trips into remote desert backcountry. I'm not interested in gizmos or "smart" features, but I do care about comfort and aesthetics. I'm more of a Range Rover person and have owned a Classic, P38 and L322 - but I've pretty much lost faith in Land Rover as they've pivoted to being a lifestyle brand. Hopefully that helps show where I'm coming from.

The test drive was on a perfect day (rainy and muddy!). It lasted about 20mins, on mostly wet muddy and rough terrain. This included wading, hill obstacles and some rocky areas (nothing extreme). As expected, the Grenadier handled it all really well.

The good:
* It's extremely cool in person and makes the New Defender, Rivian etc look like plastic toys.
* Exterior build quality is bombproof and looks great.
* Excellent off road handling.
* Very intuitive controls (apart from the gear lever) and easy to drive.
* Surprisingly comfortable, despite cosy size (but with some caveats).
* Surprisingly good visibility.
* Off-road navigation user interface seems well designed.
* Overhead switches are great.
* The lack of dashboard gauges wasn't a problem while driving.
* Ineos staff were very helpful and there was zero sales pressure. Their marketing strategy seems pretty relaxed, which is a big point in their favor.

The bad:
* No heated windscreen or heated steering wheel. I think a "cold weather pack" is needed. I don't consider these to be luxuries.
* No arm rests. (Not surprising for a car designed by Brits, Germans, and the French!) For me this is a problem as it will reduce comfort and ultimately driver performance on long journeys. In general, little thought seems to have been given to driver arm placement.
* The materials for the interior are a bit flimsy in some places. In particular the light grey plastic used for the glove box and center console felt cheap compared to the robust bodywork. I don't know if the build quality on the production vehicles is different.
* Climate control seemed a little primitive and didn't seem to be doing a great job of controlling interior temperature & condensation (this was a rainy, wet day). However, I didn't have much time to fiddle with it and this might be an unfair criticism. Presumably the production vehicles are better?

Unknowns:
* On road performance. I don't have unrealistic expectations here, but it will need to be acceptable. One of the Ineos reps mentioned that they want reservation holders to get a chance to drive on-road before ordering, which would be great.
* Price.
* Air conditioning performance (It was a fairly cold day and I didn't test it). This may sound trivial but in a state where temperatures can exceed 50C/120F, it's important.
* Reliability.

All in all, the Grenadier met my expectations based on what I'd seen online. It's great off road but on road performance is still a big question mark for me. Exterior build quality is superb, but it could do with a little more polish and some basic creature comforts in the interior. I didn't see anything that I would consider a major problem - it just felt like a prototype vehicle that could use a bit more iteration. I'd be curious to know if anyone here has experience with both the earlier prototypes and the more recent production vehicles, and how they compare.

Would I buy one? It really depends on price. If the final cost feels more like $100k than $50k, I don't think I could personally justify it (especially considering what else is out there). At a hypothetical $50k price point (I know, not happening) it would be a very easy decision to buy one as a dedicated offroader. But above that - as the price goes up, my enthusiasm will steadily go down until it hits rock bottom at about the $100k mark.

Here's hoping that Ineos can pull off competitive pricing in the US!

0.jpg

1.jpg

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Great first post and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure there will be more US impressions of the Grenadier as the test drives keep rolling out. Thanks for your opinion, especially on price, I think you're on the mark with things for North America :)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
Hi from California!

I test drove one of the PT02 Grenadier prototypes this week and thought this forum might be interested in another review....

For background, I'm looking for a safe reliable vehicle for trips into remote desert backcountry. I'm not interested in gizmos or "smart" features, but I do care about comfort and aesthetics. I'm more of a Range Rover person and have owned a Classic, P38 and L322 - but I've pretty much lost faith in Land Rover as they've pivoted to being a lifestyle brand. Hopefully that helps show where I'm coming from.

The test drive was on a perfect day (rainy and muddy!). It lasted about 20mins, on mostly wet muddy and rough terrain. This included wading, hill obstacles and some rocky areas (nothing extreme). As expected, the Grenadier handled it all really well.

The good:
* It's extremely cool in person and makes the New Defender, Rivian etc look like plastic toys.
* Ineos staff were very helpful and there was zero sales pressure. Their marketing strategy seems pretty relaxed, which is a big point in their favor.

The bad:
* No heated windscreen or heated steering wheel. I think a "cold weather pack" is needed. I don't consider these to be luxuries.
* No arm rests. (Not surprising for a car designed by Brits, Germans, and the French!) For me this is a problem as it will reduce comfort and ultimately driver performance on long journeys. In general, little thought seems to have been given to driver arm placement.
* The materials for the interior are a bit flimsy in some places. In particular the light grey plastic used for the glove box and center console felt cheap compared to the robust bodywork. I don't know if the build quality on the production vehicles is different.
* Climate control seemed a little primitive and didn't seem to be doing a great job of controlling interior temperature & condensation (this was a rainy, wet day). However, I didn't have much time to fiddle with it and this might be an unfair criticism. Presumably the production vehicles are better?

Unknowns:
* On road performance. I don't have unrealistic expectations here, but it will need to be acceptable. One of the Ineos reps mentioned that they want reservation holders to get a chance to drive on-road before ordering, which would be great.
* Price.
* Air conditioning performance (It was a fairly cold day and I didn't test it). This may sound trivial but in a state where temperatures can exceed 50C/120F, it's important.
* Reliability.

All in all, the Grenadier met my expectations based on what I'd seen online. It's great off road but on road performance is still a big question mark for me. Exterior build quality is superb, but it could do with a little more polish and some basic creature comforts in the interior. I didn't see anything that I would consider a major problem - it just felt like a prototype vehicle that could use a bit more iteration. I'd be curious to know if anyone here has experience with both the earlier prototypes and the more recent production vehicles, and how they compare.

Would I buy one? It really depends on price. If the final cost feels more like $100k than $50k, I don't think I could personally justify it (especially considering what else is out there). At a hypothetical $50k price point (I know, not happening) it would be a very easy decision to buy one as a dedicated offroader. But above that - as the price goes up, my enthusiasm will steadily go down until it hits rock bottom at about the $100k mark.

View attachment 7805276

View attachment 7805277
Here are the arm rests

1678041162634.png

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi from California!

The good:

The bad:

Unknowns:
* Price.
* Reliability.

View attachment 7805276

View attachment 7805277
Great post! I haven't driven the Grenadier yet, but I sat in one at the Overland Expo in August 2022. You have confirmed my impressions from that day, and you and I are on the exact same page when it comes to pricing. Close to $100,000 - no, not worth it. Closer to $50,000 - yes, I will ignore the things about it I don't like because it is going to be an extraordinary vehicle in many ways.

Like you, I don't think of a heated steering wheel as a luxury, but where I live (and at my age, I guess) its a necessity.

I've actually gotten less and less concerned about on-road performance as I've read and watched recent reviews. From what I can tell (which isn't much from sitting at my computer), the steering is relatively good for recirculating ball steering. For me - it needs to be better than a Wrangler - but I don't expect more refinement than that. I wish we knew more about the ball joints and bushings; when these wear out, steering gets loose. If they are of good quality, then I'd be happy to replace them when necessary with OEM parts from Ineos. But if they are of mediocre quality, I'd want to replace them with higher quality parts - so I am concerned that the aftermarket won't bother to come up with higher quality ball joints and bushings for a low-volume sales vehicle (but I could be wrong about that). Still, I want to get behind the wheel and give it a real test drive.

I'm also not a fan of the BMW gear selector - both its appearance (less important) and its function (much more important) do not fit the Grenadier. It does not engage positively enough for an off-road rig. I can tell that from watching many test drives. You need something that actually moves and locks into gear in a way that you can both feel and see. There are only a few things I prefer in the Wrangler when compared to the Grenadier, but the gear selector is definitely one. In the Wrangler, its dead simple, and much more functional. Even the goofy gear selector in the Toyota 4-Runner has better functionality for a vehicle that is made for off-road driving.

What did you think of the foot well for the passenger seat? We are fortunate here to be getting LHD, but I'm still concerned about the foot room for my very important passenger. Happy wife, happy life 😄

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great post! I haven't driven the Grenadier yet, but I sat in one at the Overland Expo in August 2022. You have confirmed my impressions from that day, and you and I are on the exact same page when it comes to pricing. Close to $100,000 - no, not worth it. Closer to $50,000 - yes, I will ignore the things about it I don't like because it is going to be an extraordinary vehicle in many ways.

Like you, I don't think of a heated steering wheel as a luxury, but where I live (and at my age, I guess) its a necessity.

I've actually gotten less and less concerned about on-road performance as I've read and watched recent reviews. From what I can tell (which isn't much from sitting at my computer), the steering is relatively good for recirculating ball steering. It needs to be better than a Wrangler, but I don't expect more refinement than that. I wish we knew more about the ball joints and bushings; when these wear out, steering gets loose. If they are of good quality, then I'd be happy to replace them when necessary with OEM parts from Ineos. But if they are of mediocre quality, I'd want to replace them with higher quality parts - so I am concerned that the aftermarket won't bother to come up with higher quality ball joints and bushings for a low-volume sales vehicle (but I could be wrong about that). Still, I want to get behind the wheel and give it a real test drive.

I'm also not a fan of the BMW gear selector - both its appearance (less important) and its function (much more important) do not fit the Grenadier. It does not engage positively enough for an off-road rig. I can tell that from watching many test drives. You need something that actually moves and locks into gear in a way that you can both feel and see. There are only a few things I prefer in the Wrangler when compared to the Grenadier, but the gear selector is definitely one. Its dead simple, and much more functional. Even the goofy gear selector in the Toyota 4-Runner has better functionality for a vehicle that is made for off-road driving.

What did you think of the foot well for the passenger seat? We are fortunate here to be getting LHD, but I'm still concerned about the foot room for my very important passenger. Happy wife, happy life 😄
Interesting point you have made in respect of the RHD foot rest. For RHD cars there is no issue the driver has R foot in the well on the pedals and L on the foot rest and passenger ( the wife ) happy.
But in the LHD, no one has mentioned how the passenger finds it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting point you have made in respect of the RHD foot rest. For RHD cars there is no issue the driver has R foot in the well on the pedals and L on the foot rest and passenger ( the wife ) happy.
But in the LHD, no one has mentioned how the passenger finds it.
Unless the passenger is wearing clown shoes there shouldn't be a problem

Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
There is no vehicle like it to compare, closest is Jeep Rubicon 70k all options no V8, Defender (6Cyl-V8) 70k-120k,
I believe USA price range will 75k base -100k fully loaded, This is fair considering the use of best quality parts.
I agree that heated steering wheel is a must in cold weather, please add at some point.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is no vehicle like it to compare, closest is Jeep Rubicon 70k all options no V8, Defender (6Cyl-V8) 70k-120k,
I believe USA price range will 75k base -100k fully loaded, This is fair considering the use of best quality parts.
I agree that heated steering wheel is a must in cold weather, please add at some point.
Someone suggested a cold pack option which I think is a great idea
I don't want it on my car so I would be able to ignore it and the people who want/need it can just tick the box.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi from California!

Maybe @Jean Mercier who has been in his own production truck can comment on the interior quality?

Local time
Reaction score
Someone suggested a cold pack option which I think is a great idea
I don't want it on my car so I would be able to ignore it and the people who want/need it can just tick the box.
Yup, that’s why they call them “options”! You want it - tick the box. You don’t want it - don’t tick the box.

Local time
Reaction score
Ha, each to their own on the arm rests. Maybe Ineos can throw in some free yoga classes as an alternative to the Belstaff jacket ;)

As someone who likes to stretch out, I had to make a conscious effort to move my feet to the right. But it wasn't a concern and I think I'd get used to it very quickly. I can see why it's a problem for RHD vehicles though.

The BMW gear selector took some getting used to - I hadn't used one before and at the end of the drive I was trying to figure out how to put the thing into park (for the uninitiated, you have to press a button on the side). But for me that goes into the "quirk" bucket and isn't necessarily a problem.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I am about to step in a meeting. I found it in 30 seconds typing in the yputuber alloffroad. enjoy

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom