The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hi from California & test drive report

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
Hi from California!

I test drove one of the PT02 Grenadier prototypes this week and thought this forum might be interested in another review....

For background, I'm looking for a safe reliable vehicle for trips into remote desert backcountry. I'm not interested in gizmos or "smart" features, but I do care about comfort and aesthetics. I'm more of a Range Rover person and have owned a Classic, P38 and L322 - but I've pretty much lost faith in Land Rover as they've pivoted to being a lifestyle brand. Hopefully that helps show where I'm coming from.

The test drive was on a perfect day (rainy and muddy!). It lasted about 20mins, on mostly wet muddy and rough terrain. This included wading, hill obstacles and some rocky areas (nothing extreme). As expected, the Grenadier handled it all really well.

The good:
* It's extremely cool in person and makes the New Defender, Rivian etc look like plastic toys.
* Exterior build quality is bombproof and looks great.
* Excellent off road handling.
* Very intuitive controls (apart from the gear lever) and easy to drive.
* Surprisingly comfortable, despite cosy size (but with some caveats).
* Surprisingly good visibility.
* Off-road navigation user interface seems well designed.
* Overhead switches are great.
* The lack of dashboard gauges wasn't a problem while driving.
* Ineos staff were very helpful and there was zero sales pressure. Their marketing strategy seems pretty relaxed, which is a big point in their favor.

The bad:
* No heated windscreen or heated steering wheel. I think a "cold weather pack" is needed. I don't consider these to be luxuries.
* No arm rests. (Not surprising for a car designed by Brits, Germans, and the French!) For me this is a problem as it will reduce comfort and ultimately driver performance on long journeys. In general, little thought seems to have been given to driver arm placement.
* The materials for the interior are a bit flimsy in some places. In particular the light grey plastic used for the glove box and center console felt cheap compared to the robust bodywork. I don't know if the build quality on the production vehicles is different.
* Climate control seemed a little primitive and didn't seem to be doing a great job of controlling interior temperature & condensation (this was a rainy, wet day). However, I didn't have much time to fiddle with it and this might be an unfair criticism. Presumably the production vehicles are better?

Unknowns:
* On road performance. I don't have unrealistic expectations here, but it will need to be acceptable. One of the Ineos reps mentioned that they want reservation holders to get a chance to drive on-road before ordering, which would be great.
* Price.
* Air conditioning performance (It was a fairly cold day and I didn't test it). This may sound trivial but in a state where temperatures can exceed 50C/120F, it's important.
* Reliability.

All in all, the Grenadier met my expectations based on what I'd seen online. It's great off road but on road performance is still a big question mark for me. Exterior build quality is superb, but it could do with a little more polish and some basic creature comforts in the interior. I didn't see anything that I would consider a major problem - it just felt like a prototype vehicle that could use a bit more iteration. I'd be curious to know if anyone here has experience with both the earlier prototypes and the more recent production vehicles, and how they compare.

Would I buy one? It really depends on price. If the final cost feels more like $100k than $50k, I don't think I could personally justify it (especially considering what else is out there). At a hypothetical $50k price point (I know, not happening) it would be a very easy decision to buy one as a dedicated offroader. But above that - as the price goes up, my enthusiasm will steadily go down until it hits rock bottom at about the $100k mark.

Here's hoping that Ineos can pull off competitive pricing in the US!

View attachment 7805276

View attachment 7805277
I hear ya - I'm in CA as well and a Eldoret Blue/White top has the Mojave written all over it. I would not be too alarmed by some of the interior pieces as the ones we drove are still prototypes and many of those issues are being addressed

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
Agreed this has to be less than the current Defender costs to grab my attention otherwise I can get a Bronco or Jeep with similar capabilities. BTW i have already found 4 sites that have after market parts for the Grenadier...that also tells you something that this thing is here to stay and comapnies see that its built solid. It took 2 years for the current Land rover Defender to have after market parts even so companies are not sold on commiting to manufacturing after market parts for it. Im sure companies like ARB will come out with some great for the Grenadier for aftermarket parts too.
Let me know the companies and I'll try and see what they can do for us :)

Reactions: Max

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Nice post and welcome!

Probably some of you have seen this video. Any comments?

View: https://youtu.be/cTDVWaLJfM8
Guy is a wanker. Used to be on an Australian Facebook page and just whined about everything. He makes a couple of valid points some of which have been ironed out in final versions some of which are never going to be addressable in a vehicle that is designed to he sold in a global market. Basically he wanted a vehicle he didn’t need to modify at all, coming from a guy who has heavily modified every 4x4 he has ever owned.

Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
There is no vehicle like it to compare, closest is Jeep Rubicon 70k all options no V8, Defender (6Cyl-V8) 70k-120k,
I believe USA price range will 75k base -100k fully loaded, This is fair considering the use of best quality parts.
I agree that heated steering wheel is a must in cold weather, please add at some point.
Lots of folks seems disappointed by the lack of a heated steering wheel. I wonder if an aftermarket purchase could add a heated steering wheel? Same for a heated front windshield. (I have that now & it melts the snow and ice more quickly). Maybe those are aftermarket features a local shop could manage?

Local time
Reaction score
Lots of folks seems disappointed by the lack of a heated steering wheel. I wonder if an aftermarket purchase could add a heated steering wheel? Same for a heated front windshield. (I have that now & it melts the snow and ice more quickly). Maybe those are aftermarket features a local shop could manage?

You can get heated covers that plug into a 12V socket but the idea of a power cable attached to the steering wheel seems kinda silly (and potentially dangerous).

I don't think it would be possible to create an aftermarket wheel without some serious effort (think of all the systems it connects to) and I can't see anyone investing in that. MAYBE if Ineos add heated steering to future cars, the updated wheel could be fitted to older cars. But that depends on how it's designed.

A heated windshield is conceptually simpler, but I still think the only hope for that is if Ineos releases one later and it can be retrofitted.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've had a heated steering wheel in my Cayenne Turbo and after a few weeks I pull the fuse so it would not work. Never liked the heat on my hands even driving in cold weather - it was always just a bit too warm.

Local time
Reaction score
I've had a heated steering wheel in my Cayenne Turbo and after a few weeks I pull the fuse so it would not work. Never liked the heat on my hands even driving in cold weather - it was always just a bit too warm.

Cold weather by SoCal standards is arguably a bit different than other places... like a warm day in the Arctic ;)

Closing out my old thread: I finally decided to request a reservation refund after being on the fence since US pricing was announced. Obviously other people will have different budgets and risk appetites. Like some other posters have said, I'll see if things look better in a year or two. I hope the project is a success - it's too good to fail - and the Grenadier doesn't just end up as a garage queen or niche toy.

Happy trails!

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My driving winters in Wyoming and Montana qualify as cold enough weather to test a heated steering wheel. About as warm in February as the dark side of the moon.....

Last edited:

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
Why pull the fuse? Just don't activate it and it will never come on.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Lived in the MT for years. Never felt the need for a heated steering wheel. Not even at -20º.

Good luck .

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, forgive me, I’ve had a little wine….but this thread seems to have devolved into a thread about a heated steering wheel…in LA. I’ve ridden many motorcycles in winter and ok, heated grips are nice, but that’s not the main deal here is it?

The Rowher event was awesome and I’m really hoping our local dealers will be able to facilitate us local so-cal folks an ability of driving a production vehicle on the road prior to committing. The off-roading was brilliant. Any interior material upgrade would be nice for 2024, but that’s wishing. Bugs I hope to be fixed.

I still don’t know if I’ll fully commit and buy this, but based on the LA drive event, I’m waiting to see what comes next. Maybe along the way we’ll meet each other at some sort of dealer grand opening or local organized Ineos event…or maybe out at Rowher in our new Gren for a meet up, who knows? Cheers 🍻

Tjhappel

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Personally I cannot wait… reminds me a g wagon before the kardashians took them from us….. I’m just hoping it’s more reliable than a g wagon, obviously it’ll for sure do better than the old defender w the puma.

Aj hopefully works well?? That’s a biggie
for us

Back
Top Bottom