The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Help, need to get mud out of the engine compartment

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

Did a bunch of "inspired" driving yesterday in Nevada. Got to go across some impressive water with mud crossings. Got a bit of mud in the engine compartment. Mostly a light layer of silt from the crossing that sits in the front of the engine compartment.

I'm going to clean up the car thoroughly today. Any thing I should be particular careful with when it comes to hosing off and cleaning the engine compartment? I was planning to put some water in it, some foaming cleaner and use a washing sponge before I rinse it off. Anything wrong with that? Engine is cold, I parked it after drinking 500 miles home yesterday evening.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. Maybe use a leaf blower to dry out after cleaning. Everything should be reasonably water resistant.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
Maybe cover electrical wires ( I use cheap foil) then spray with your cleaner and wipe lightly until it gets most of the sort.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
I used to cover wires and bits with plastic bags, sprayed it down with some simple green, and then used a garden hose to rinse. Do not pressure wash.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all your helpful points.

Leaf blower is a great idea. I have a battery operated one. I won't use a power washer on the car. Im not so sure I want to use a household detergent, they degrease really well but I think I want to preserve the grease. I'm thinking a mild car wash liquid, they tend to be milder than detergent.

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for all your helpful points.

Leaf blower is a great idea. I have a battery operated one. I won't use a power washer on the car. Im not so sure I want to use a household detergent, they degrease really well but I think I want to preserve the grease. I'm thinking a mild car wash liquid, they tend to be milder than detergent.
I personally never use detergents in the engine compartment. Only water. And no high-pressure washer either, neither in the engine compartment nor on the outside.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
Done. Used a foaming detergent that is super mild, a bit of water and a mitten.
Dried it with my air blower. Worked really, really well.
Now with need to see how clean it is :ROFLMAO:
Pictures!

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I know they are pricey but I have one of these “master blaster” detailing dryer blowers that works amazing. 8HP electric motor blasts filtered high pressure heated air. Great for vehicle/motorcycle detailing.

They are really popular with detailers on the chrome bits on vehicles as they eliminate the possibility of hard water spots.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Sounds like the classic car conundrum. 1/2 hour driving , 3 days' cleaning 😁
When's the next "inspired drive"? 😉

AWo

Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
Check the cooler. Mud between the hot water rails dries fast and reduces cooling power. Wash the mud out with a light to moderate water jet. Do not bend the small fins.

AWo

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Surprisingly large amount of silt in the mud under the hood. Took this picture this morning as the sand dried up on my driveway. Engine compartment is clean, I used a high foaming soap as a lubricant. It's super mild and it took a bit of work with a sponge too get rid of the mud. Hardest was the coolant lines, they took a bit of work, probably because of the rubber material. Metal and paint areas came off pretty easy.

This is what was left on my driveway after cleaning. A fine layer of silt.
1000000191.jpg

Car is pretty clean. Forgot to take a picture under the hood but it's good.
1000000192.jpg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Surprisingly large amount of silt in the mud under the hood. Took this picture this morning as the sand dried up on my driveway. Engine compartment is clean, I used a high foaming soap as a lubricant. It's super mild and it took a bit of work with a sponge too get rid of the mud. Hardest was the coolant lines, they took a bit of work, probably because of the rubber material. Metal and paint areas came off pretty easy.

This is what was left on my driveway after cleaning. A fine layer of silt.
View attachment 7853950

Car is pretty clean. Forgot to take a picture under the hood but it's good.
View attachment 7853951
Hi parb, I always love how much smoother and faster my Grenadier goes after I wash it. ;) DaBull

Back
Top Bottom