The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Heated Windshield is there one????

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:37 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=SteveB userid=8997089 postid=1333057367]Thanks, that's interesting. I had a whole debate with Mercedes even up to their European HQ when I was ordering a new E63s three years back. Originally the heated windscreen was showing in their sales literature but then wasn't on the config. That's when I was told about BMW/Ford etc. however, I have since noticed that the Mercedes GLs can have it but still not other models as far as I am aware. I've even got one in my trusty old Defender TD5![/QUOTE] Car  companies be dicks most of the time

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DaveB userid=8923052 postid=1333056809]I have heated seats that I have only used once on the passenger side as they were annoying me so I decided to cook them a bit. 

Substitute for ‘Ejection Seat’??

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
I replaced the windscreen on my TD5 with a heated screen when it was damaged. I know its an expense but i may look to put an aftermarket heated screen (if avaliable)in it if and when it needs a new windscreen ?

Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
Certainly worked for me and it wasn't overly expensive. Not only does it de-ice the screen really well but also greatly helps de-mist.  The old TD5's screen vents are about as effective as breathing on it, especially when you've got wet gear in the back!?

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
Having been in BMW sales for over 8 years I have never seen a heated screen offered, this isn't to say it isn't in different markets worldwide.

In the UK however I have never seen it.

People may have seen the option "climate comfort windscreen" this however is a heat reflective screen to keep inside cool by reflecting certain wavelengths of sunlight.

Local time
Reaction score
No, we're talking here about proper heated windcreens with electrical filaments running through similar to the rear heated screen an controlled by a dedicated switch.  BMW certainly fit to their Mini range as my wife's past four have had one including the JCW Countryman sitting on the drive! I've also had heated screens in several Land Rover/Range Rover and Audi models over the years. It is however a long time since my BMW 523i so I can't vouch for more recent BMW cars. As Dave B has mentioned above, there are now apparently a number of manufacturers offering this.

stuart1927

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is quite funny how everyone say's they want a back to basics utilitarian 4X4  with no frills or fluff.....and suddenly folks are demanding heated windscreens and power fold door mirrors! Which is it to be? Sounds like some of you would be better buying a new defender?! ?

Reactions: DDG

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly - my fully optioned BMW X3 doesn't have it. 

A strong demister works just as well.

Local time
Reaction score
Well stuart I'm not sure why you consider a heated windscreen to be something out of the ordinary - my 2005 Defender TD5 has one and you can hardly say that's not utilitarian. If you've ever driven in alpine areas in winter you'l know how helpful a heated screen is, especially on a Defender where de-misting is not exacvtly optimal! Also remember - the Grenadier is not that far removed in price from the new LR Defender.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
the Grenadier is not that far removed in price from the new LR Defender

That's doubtlessly right.

BUT: You get something completely different. I dare say that in many ways the new Defender vs the Grenadier is consumer grade vs industrial grade. And electronic gimmicks simply don't count in such a rating.

Local time
Reaction score
I had a LR Disco II with a heated windshield (windscreen). Was it helpful in the winter? Meh. However, the cost of replacing that windshield was a kick in the balls after a truck threw a stone into it at highway speed. Probably the most expensive windshield I have ever replaced.

IG Pop

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
Don’t those heated windscreens have many disturbing lines in your view because of all those metal (?!) threads running through the glass? From the ones I saw those lines were more dense than on the rear windows.
However I thought they would defrost quicker without having to scratch off the ice manually.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In theory they sound great but I hated the heated windscreen on my Discovery Sport. It caused flaring and bloom around oncoming lights at night. So for me it affected nighttime driving. As long as the Grenadier has a decent de-mister which heats up quickly then I'm fine with that. When I asked my local dealer why there was no option of heated windscreen I was told it was to reduce the electrical component count - one less thing to go wrong. And also it would make it easier for spare parts availability.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a LR Disco II with a heated windshield (windscreen). Was it helpful in the winter? Meh. However, the cost of replacing that windshield was a kick in the balls after a truck threw a stone into it at highway speed. Probably the most expensive windshield I have ever replaced.
Same happened to me with my Disco Sport. Autoglass had no replacement immediately available and when they finally got one in, it was a pain for them to fit due to the electrical connections around the rear view mirror etc.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When I lived in Tasmania many years ago every morning(winter) I would come out to find my windscreen covered in ice. I would throw a bucket of cold water over it turn on the fan demister and all good.

Local time
Reaction score
When I lived in Tasmania many years ago every morning(winter) I would come out to find my windscreen covered in ice. I would throw a bucket of cold water over it turn on the fan demister and all good.
That might work when its just below freezing, but you won't want to play that game on a typical winter morning where I live:

IMG_0035.JPG

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Risk of cracking the windscreen also if the water is too warm. -25F is just short of -3.88 Celsius. I can't remember it getting that cold.

Local time
Reaction score
No heated screen this from Ineos
Thanks for your note – the Belstaff Edition Grenadiers come with Heated Windscreen Washer Jets as standard but a Heated Windscreen is not available. These are incredibly expensive to fit & to replace should the windscreen get damaged. I apologise if this information has become muddled in dialogue with my Events team or the CS team.

The button you have highlighted from the brochure / website is for the Windscreen Demist function rather than for a Heated Windscreen – I can see how it is represented can easily lead to a misunderstanding. The logo / button for Windscreen Demist is universally used by Manufacturers (some examples below):

Graphical user interface  Description automatically generated
A close up of a car dashboard  Description automatically generated with low confidence

Local time
Reaction score
Risk of cracking the windscreen also if the water is too warm. -25F is just short of -3.88 Celsius. I can't remember it getting that cold.
Move that decimal over one spot. Negative 25 F is equal to negative 32 C

Back
Top Bottom