The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australasia Have I missed anything?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
@TheDocAUS That's a good crunch, what did you hit? or what hit you? Looks like it was low whatever it was. Also looks like they took you out the back door? apologies for all the questions
Toyota Troop Carrier crossed to my side of the road causing a head on collusion (slight offset). Combined impact speed 150-180kph. I did a textbook face plant into the airbag - thank you airbag. I remember most of the crash.

I think Fire and Rescue removed the back door to get access to the front door in order to free me. They then split the front door in two, opened it and got me out. I was trapped from the chest down, jammed between the steering wheel and the seat. The dash was compressed all around me and my legs pushed back and upwards almost in line with my chin lying on the airbag. I was flown by Westpac Rescue Helicopter to the nearest Full Trauma Hospital 50 minutes away.

His Troopie was more damaged than my Patrol (both were right offs), but the other driver did not survive the crash.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
Toyota Troop Carrier crossed to my side of the road causing a head on collusion (slight offset). Combined impact speed 150-180kph. I did a textbook face plant into the airbag - thank you airbag. I remember most of the crash.

I think Fire and Rescue removed the back door to get access to the front door in order to free me. They then split the front door in two, opened it and got me out. I was trapped from the chest down, jammed between the steering wheel and the seat. The dash was compressed all around me and my legs pushed back and upwards almost in line with my chin lying on the airbag. I was flown by Westpac Rescue Helicopter to the nearest Full Trauma Hospital 50 minutes away.

His Troopie was more damaged than my Patrol (both were right offs), but the other driver did not survive the crash.
Certainly looks like a difficult extraction (I've been in Fire and Rescue 25 years) you are a lucky man, footwell entrapment can be difficult, I hope you are recovering well. Hats off to having a rescue helicopter available, many walking around now who wouldn't be if it wasn't for the access to it.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Certainly looks like a difficult extraction (I've been in Fire and Rescue 25 years) you are a lucky man, footwell entrapment can be difficult, I hope you are recovering well. Hats off to having a rescue helicopter available, many walking around now who wouldn't be if it wasn't for the access to it.
Investigating Policeman said to my sister-in-law "He is a very lucky man”.

Car was maintained, my car crumpled (his was smashed up), my SmartBar worked and his steel bulbar was destroyed and I had an airbag.

I thanked each of the teams who helped me as I went along that day, a witness, doctor who stopped, ambos, fire and rescue, helicopter crew and hospital staff. About 60 to 65 people from 3.45pm to midnight when I was put into ICU. I was the only one of 20 people in ICU not in a coma, so I was moved to the trauma ward the next day. Too "healthy" for ICU apparently ;) , and I was a mess, but I was on Special K.

SmartBar bullbar
I would really like a SmartBar for the IG, but that is not yet an option. I did give crash images, dashcam video and background to the SmartBar engineers after the crash for research purposes (at least some good may come out of the crash).

The SmartBar MD said he may need to design one for the IG for all my help – partially tongue in cheek. It depends on how many people request a SmartBar for the IG. So ask SmartBar, I have.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Investigating Policeman said to my sister-in-law "He is a very lucky man”.

Car was maintained, my car crumpled (his was smashed up), my SmartBar worked and his steel bulbar was destroyed and I had an airbag.

I thanked each of the teams who helped me as I went along that day, a witness, doctor who stopped, ambos, fire and rescue, helicopter crew and hospital staff. About 60 to 65 people from 3.45pm to midnight when I was put into ICU. I was the only one of 20 people in ICU not in a coma, so I was moved to the trauma ward the next day. Too "healthy" for ICU apparently ;) , and I was a mess, but I was on Special K.

SmartBar bullbar
I would really like a SmartBar for the IG, but that is not yet an option. I did give crash images, dashcam video and background to the SmartBar engineers after the crash for research purposes (at least some good may come out of the crash).

The SmartBar MD said he may need to design one for the IG for all my help – partially tongue in cheek. It depends on how many people request a SmartBar for the IG. So ask SmartBar, I have.
Yep, sent a request earlier today...the receipt email came back from ARB! Didn't realise they own "SmartBar"!

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
I went for the steps not the rock sliders partly because one of the problems with rocksliders for 90% of daily use is shown in the picture below.
You end up getting dirt, mud and rain water rubbed down the back of your pants or leg.
Might not be a concern to some but as this will be my only vehicle I often wear clothes that I don't want that to happen to.
View attachment 7810053
I went for steps because I'm a short arse geriatric and it is a lot higher step up than my D4.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, sent a request earlier today...the receipt email came back from ARB! Didn't realise they own "SmartBar"!
Yes, they are now owned by ARB, but I think they have some autonomy.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
I discovered and became a member of the forum in September last year, shortly after signing my contract (with the dealer, not with Ineos), with some modifications (roof windows, ...).

After some reading here I understood that the sidesteps were necessary, and I went back to the dealer to ask to add them too. Too late he said.

In the meantime I have entered my car almost every week since February, without driving it :cry:. I am tall, and indeed the car is high, it isnt that easy. My partner is quite small.

I asked to my dealer Hedin a quotation for ordering the sidesteps separately but still no answer. If he doesn't give a quotation or if delivery time is too long, I'll buy the Swiss solution of Black Sheep Innovations.

This forum is providing a wealth of information and opinions, I love it.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I discovered and became a member of the forum in September last year, shortly after signing my contract (with the dealer, not with Ineos), with some modifications (roof windows, ...).

After some reading here I understood that the sidesteps were necessary, and I went back to the dealer to ask to add them too. Too late he said.

In the meantime I have entered my car almost every week since February, without driving it :cry:. I am tall, and indeed the car is high, it isnt that easy. My partner is quite small.

I asked to my dealer Hedin a quotation for ordering the sidesteps separately but still no answer. If he doesn't give a quotation or if delivery time is too long, I'll buy the Swiss solution of Black Sheep Innovations.

Don't know how the dealer can say too late. They are dealer fit anyway so why couldn't they say they would fit them retro.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

@Jean Mercier The sidesteps are listed in the Accessories Brochure and should be available to order separately through your dealer at any time.

1682926960146.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does the dealership have a separate parts counter? If so, I'd go there and ask directly. Having said that, I think Ineos are only just beginning to roll out these systems to dealers/agents.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
SmartBar bullbar

It is my hope that ordering the OEM bullbar means that you are getting something designed to work with the inbuilt crash safety systems of the vehicle like crumple zones and airbags etc. if this holds true it should be at least as good, if not better than a smart bar, and will definitely look better than a smart bar

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, the goats did a similar thing, join their mates on the other side of the road.

So far we have:

HQ panel van vs Emu - Emu WIN
Tarago vs Horse - Both LOSE

So the moral of the story is, if you're going to hit a horse, drive an emu?
In have posted it here before and I will eventually find some old photo's
We were shooting out the back of Broken Hill in old modified holdens with the roof cut off.
A big/huge red kangaroo took a left and hit our bonnet then came over the windscreen and into the front seat.
We all jumped out leaving the roo with our guns, and gear.
By the time the vehicle came to a stop the interior vinyl seats were ripped apart and the roo jumped out and took off.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In have posted it here before and I will eventually find some old photo's
We were shooting out the back of Broken Hill in old modified holdens with the roof cut off.
A big/huge red kangaroo took a left and hit our bonnet then came over the windscreen and into the front seat.
We all jumped out leaving the roo with our guns, and gear.
By the time the vehicle came to a stop the interior vinyl seats were ripped apart and the roo jumped out and took off.
I remember you posting that!

Back
Top Bottom