The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australasia Have I missed anything?

Craig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Have you downloaded the Australian accessory brochure? There are part numbers for example for "Roo bar" , side protection rails, side runners( =sidesteps), rock sliders etc. Each accessory notes that they come with the fittings.. I am pretty sure the required captive nuts were welded to the chassis during production so it's just a matter of bolting the bits into place... well I hope so😄.
No haven’t seen that. Will have a look around for it. Thanks!

Craig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The factory rock sliders look good enough - very strong... but will you ever never them? Probably not in the SW/Margs region IMO, which is relatively tame. Plus the ground clearance under the side sills is huge on these cars.

My contrary 2c is to suggest going for the factory side steps, which are themselves very strong (albeit not rock sliders) and make entry/exit much more dignified.
Fair enough - thanks for that

Craig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Trialmaster is better value overall compared to a base model with your own config... but that depends on what your base config is In the first place. Mine was almost Trialmaster without being one so I changed to a Trialmaster with a few added bits. Came out a few hundred more but I gained about a grand in value.
That’s what I did on about the 5th config! Essentially started at base and made it same spec minus the smooth pack to see the $ impact.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
I went for the steps not the rock sliders partly because one of the problems with rocksliders for 90% of daily use is shown in the picture below.
You end up getting dirt, mud and rain water rubbed down the back of your pants or leg.
Might not be a concern to some but as this will be my only vehicle I often wear clothes that I don't want that to happen to.
1682892277025.png

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I chose roo bar, took it off, put it on again, took it off... now its on again 🙄

But then I live in Perth village, not the SW, so that would have me thinking about those roos around dusk...

I had a roo bar on the defender 110 and never hit anything in 10 years, never had anything attached to it (rods, aerials, winch)... It was 50kg of un-aerodynamic snow plough/ ballast... an expensive way to locate a license plate. I struggled to see the point, but then you don't need it until you need it.

Front end of the IG looks robust (and un-aerodynamic) without the roo bar, making decision less clear. But the factory roo bar design is well integrated... and i'd allow it to be an aesthetic as much as practical decision.
Did a trip to Broken Hill last year in my new Ranger, no bar. The amount of goats on the side of the road was insane! They're smarter than roo's and get out of the way for the most part but they're there all day long and there's plenty of evidence they get hit. I was shitting myself from sunset just before Wilcannia to when we arrived a couple hours later.

First thing I ticked for the Gren was the roo bar!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did a trip to Broken Hill last year in my new Ranger, no bar. The amount of goats on the side of the road was insane! They're smarter than roo's and get out of the way for the most part but they're there all day long and there's plenty of evidence they get hit. I was shitting myself from sunset just before Wilcannia to when we arrived a couple hours later.

I used to do that trip in an F100 with no bar.
Lots of wild horses as well.
Whenever you see about 50 horses and some are on one side some on the other there is always a chance they are going to want to panic and join each other.
I was overtaken by a Toyota Tarago and then a while later I found it laying on it's side off the road and the remains of a horse splattered everywhere.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m ordering the safari windows afterwards- I know a bloke with an oxy 😁

I’ve always had an ARB with the exception of my current 4wd which I bought 3y.o from a mate which came with a poxy factory alloy bar and I haven’t been bothered to change it.

I had a good look at the IG bullbar and combined with the steel bumper I reckon it’ll do the job in comparison with an ARB. Not much in it really. I would like it to be about another 2inches forward of the bonnet though for a couple of reasons.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I used to do that trip in an F100 with no bar.
Lots of wild horses as well.
Whenever you see about 50 horses and some are on one side some on the other there is always a chance they are going to want to panic and join each other.
I was overtaken by a Toyota Tarago and then a while later I found it laying on it's side off the road and the remains of a horse splattered everywhere.
Yep, the goats did a similar thing, join their mates on the other side of the road.

So far we have:

HQ panel van vs Emu - Emu WIN
Tarago vs Horse - Both LOSE

So the moral of the story is, if you're going to hit a horse, drive an emu?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Craig,
i went through the same process, but ended up with trialmaster. Didnt need everything, but close enough to take the discount.
other decisions:
i added side steps. They are a lot stronger than many people realise - prototypes have been tested with the vehicle hung up on them without any deformation. And they are easy to remove, and pretty cheap. Plus, they will stop/reduce people damaging sills and door seals with careless entry. Sliders total overkill for me, even doing pretty tough stuff, never needed them in defender, but step in/door seals was an issue - not on driver’s door!
I also added heat reducing glass, spare wheel storage, and safari windows. Ive tried the car on a very hot day, the glass and positioning of them is good Even for aussie sun. Although in hot climates without is a very valid option, but i liked the feel of the cabin. It was a tough decision.
good luck with your choices.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I went for the steps not the rock sliders partly because one of the problems with rocksliders for 90% of daily use is shown in the picture below.
You end up getting dirt, mud and rain water rubbed down the back of your pants or leg.
That happened with our GLC Merc , mind you we drive on dirt roads every day.
Even the Volvo is a stainmaker!
So I've stopped wearing white flared jeans when I go to the opera in any of our cars.
Actually, not going to the opera helps immensely :LOL:

Craig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Craig,
i went through the same process, but ended up with trialmaster. Didnt need everything, but close enough to take the discount.
other decisions:
i added side steps. They are a lot stronger than many people realise - prototypes have been tested with the vehicle hung up on them without any deformation. And they are easy to remove, and pretty cheap. Plus, they will stop/reduce people damaging sills and door seals with careless entry. Sliders total overkill for me, even doing pretty tough stuff, never needed them in defender, but step in/door seals was an issue - not on driver’s door!
I also added heat reducing glass, spare wheel storage, and safari windows. Ive tried the car on a very hot day, the glass and positioning of them is good Even for aussie sun. Although in hot climates without is a very valid option, but i liked the feel of the cabin. It was a tough decision.
good luck with your choices.
Great advice. I have sat in one in the showroom in QLD only. Hadn’t considered reflective glass till now. Think I will skip the sliders.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
Might not be a concern to some but as this will be my only vehicle I often wear clothes that I don't want that to happen to.
View attachment 7810053
In the video he says he uses the slider to get out, puts his heel on it

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7810053
Unfortunately I think you’re going to find the steps will be a bigger problem for that as they sit further out. Most people don’t use the steps to exit (I know I don’t) so you’re more likely to cop dirt/dust/mud on an exit than with sliders.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Trialmaster is better value overall compared to a base model with your own config... but that depends on what your base config is In the first place. Mine was almost Trialmaster without being one so I changed to a Trialmaster with a few added bits. Came out a few hundred more but I gained about a grand in value.
I found the same thing. So I went with the Trialmaster.

I will be buying aftermarket rock sliders combined with steps. Rock Armor is my goal, when they become available. They will be ADR compliant for side airbags. I have already sent an email to Rock Armor and I am awaiting a reply.

Craig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I will be buying aftermarket rock sliders combined with steps. Rock Armor is my goal, when they become available. They will be ADR compliant for side airbags. I have already sent an email to Rock Armor and I am awaiting a reply.
interesting, thanks

Craig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you all for the ideas and input. The various view points and ideas have helped me decide on a few things. Looking forward to the WA Grenadier meet ups 😃

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

They look great, the real deal.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I came to that conclusion as well. once I had specced up a base model it was <$500 difference to a Trialmaster so I said sod it.

Things I wanted from the smooth pack specifically were power mirrors, extra 12v outlets and the centre console storage lid/armrest.

Also x2 @DaveB 's comment re diffs etc. and adding an Aux battery will be a lot easier/neater at order time than getting a sparky to do it all later.

Cheers
Steve

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agreed. Very similar to the rock sliders on my Patrol, which I really liked.

Send Rock Armor an email request as well.

The slides are a little worse for wear now (so is the Patrol). :LOL:
View attachment 7810061
@TheDocAUS That's a good crunch, what did you hit? or what hit you? Looks like it was low whatever it was. Also looks like they took you out the back door? apologies for all the questions

Back
Top Bottom