The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hannibal roofrack

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
So I didn't opt for the rhino rack as I love the Hannibal roof racks. Only problem is.... They aren't available... Until they can get their hands on a grenadier.

I've been In talks with Peter at Hannibal (Wakerley, Queensland, Australia) and he is keen to develop this for us. It should end up pretty much the same as the defender. Just wider and length appropriate.

As you can see they do 3/4 great for the alpine roofs. And full length.

If we have any Qld based purchasers close to Wakerley, what would be the chances please of someone swinging by once we are lucky enough to get our deliveries. I would... Except Sydney is a bit far just for a measure.

What other roof racks would people be looking at for their grenadiers?

Attachments

• hannibal-roof-rack-defender-110-series.jpg
    hannibal-roof-rack-defender-110-series.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 89

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
So I didn't opt for the rhino rack as I love the Hannibal roof racks. Only problem is.... They aren't available... Until they can get their hands on a grenadier.

I've been In talks with Peter at Hannibal (Wakerley, Queensland, Australia) and he is keen to develop this for us. It should end up pretty much the same as the defender. Just wider and length appropriate.

If we have any Qld based purchasers close to Wakerley, what would be the chances please of someone swinging by once we are lucky enough to get our deliveries. I would... Except Sydney is a bit far just for a measure.

If they make one of these or even pro-type the rack, I will be going past to look at one for sure! I left racks off, as aftermarket will have a much better size/config for me.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yippe

What do you love about these racks over rhino?

What is the weight of the rack in your photo

cheers
Main thing is the full gutter strip. Complete weight distribution.

I had one on my defender in the past for years and could not fault it. So rather just carry it on with the grenadier. I also would still like the alpine grab handles exposed. The rhino rack makes them useless.

Small things but it's what I like. Also it will make it slightly different to all the other grenadiers on the road.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Hannibal racks with sides are in my opinion far better than the Rhino on offer with the Gren. There is a little more room under the side rail of the rack to allow your hand, ropes, tie downs etc. to be accessed and less impinged points. I look forward to seeing what AM options come to light.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score

If only the slats went across instead of along the roof then they could work with the safari windows and still be full length

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yippe

What do you love about these racks over rhino?

What is the weight of the rack in your photo

cheers
The Rhino rack weighs 60kg and while it says you can put 90KG up their dynamic load rhino usually de-rate their racks by 50% for off road use.
If so in this case then it is almost useless

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
Had Hannibal full-length on my 110 for 10 years... very light, strong, low-profile, practical, full-length gutter support for load bearing. A great roofrack. Mine was made in South Africa, though I think the more recent ones (last 5 years or so) aren't.

However I also found the full length gutter support traps leaves, dirt. etc behind, which festers and is very difficult to access to completely clean out. And long-term I found this to be incompatible with Land Rover's legendary bodywork build quality, with expensive results.

Back on the IG, Ineos' offered roof rack solution blindly chases an impressive load-rating, creating an unacceptable (and unsolved) visual problem. The reactions on this forum seem to bear this out.

In short, it's fugly.

I'm holding out for a 3/4 rhino solution with individual legs.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmm at 2.1m already I’m inclined to go a flat rack next rather than one with sides. Although I’m not a fan of the ones with slats, and would prefer a mesh base that gives me more tiedown options for straps etc.
Agree, I want flat mesh as low to the roof as possible. On my current vehicle I have cross bars with a flat mesh platform u bolted to it and it works well. I have ordered the cross bars and will put mu mesh platform on that for now, but will be seeing what low profile options might emerge. I will already have trouble squeezing it into my garage without the racks and many urban carparks will be off limits

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agree, I want flat mesh as low to the roof as possible. On my current vehicle I have cross bars with a flat mesh platform u bolted to it and it works well. I have ordered the cross bars and will put mu mesh platform on that for now, but will be seeing what low profile options might emerge. I will already have trouble squeezing it into my garage without the racks and many urban carparks will be off limits
The Hannibal is a flat rack. With an optional attachment to make it a basket. Fully enclosed or one end open. Good for roof top tents.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmm at 2.1m already I’m inclined to go a flat rack next rather than one with sides. Although I’m not a fan of the ones with slats, and would prefer a mesh base that gives me more tiedown options for straps etc.
Sides are no good to me as I want to put my wife's 14 foot SUP board up there

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
Hannibal top rail is removeable, but broken down into several pieces so it's a slightly painful 20min or so job on/off.

Also has a sub-structure of rails going across the vehicle, which the along rails sit on... so you kinda get both. I never struggled to tie anything down, ever

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hannibal top rail is removeable, but broken down into several pieces so it's a slightly painful 20min or so job on/off.

Also has a sub-structure of rails going across the vehicle, which the along rails sit on... so you kinda get both. I never struggled to tie anything down, ever
I need to remove a couple at the front so I can open the safari windows

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
MB G Wagen type roof rack then

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
If only the slats went across instead of along the roof then they could work with the safari windows and still be full length
My concern as well.

But you, since you live closer to them, could ask them whether a cross mount would be possible. This shouldn't be an issue if the frame around it has the same mounting slots/shape as the front and rear part of the frame.

Stability is very likely not an issue since the cross bars are even shorter than the long ones, and the distribution goes over the frames side rails. Same static and kinetic distribution of forces imo.

You'll very likely get the answer that there is no cross mount available. So you will have to explain that you mean a custom solution - which can even improve the product in particular for cars with a roof window problem or the like.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Attention Brisbane Owners!!!
HR02-SR.png

Hannibal safari equipment / remote travel, based at Wakerley Qld are coming to the table to develop a roof rack to give another alternative to those seeking a rack.
I have conveyed a lot of information (via email only) of other developed racks. Concerns with gutters, alpine grab rails and the rest.
However there is only so much they can gather by my photos and written description.

Would an owner please be willing to help the community out and contact Peter (contact details below) to organise a time for them to look over their vehicle.

Their racks are highly rated from the 4x4 community and from personal experience I believe theirs would be perfectly suited to the Grenadier so long as it's properly designed entirely for the grenadier (full length, full width, clearance to roof, profile and mounting gutters to ensure no problems in the future, maybe even distributing on the roof strips like blacksheep)

For more info pm me, and for anyone willing to contact Peter thankyou and if you can let the group know of any progress.

Thanks

Remote travel Products
20/35 Ingleston Road
Wakerley QLD

(p) 61 7 3348 9388
(m) 61 408 887 442
(e) sales@remotetravel.com.au
(w) www.hannibalsafari.com.au
(w) www.remotetravel.com.au
(w) www.sensatyre.com.au

Back
Top Bottom