The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Trailer Plug

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the round trailer plug (not the NATO 2 Pin for power) that's right side of the hitch, when facing the rear of the car?

It looks like a 7 pin round but can anyone confirm?

My camper trailer plug is 12 pin flat with pin number 8 for break-safe charging. Would I have to get the Grenadier re-wired with a 12 pin plug, or would a 12 pin female flat to 7 pin round male adaptor work?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hey there. It’s a 13 pin round Euro.
Unusual in Australia, but many on here say they are a good thing.
In talking to a couple of Ineos guys they said they contemplated changing it, but ended up sticking with it as it is a good thing. That said there isn’t a trailer brake wire so it will need to be adapted.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey there. It’s a 13 pin round Euro.
Unusual in Australia, but many on here say they are a good thing.
In talking to a couple of Ineos guys they said they contemplated changing it, but ended up sticking with it as it is a good thing. That said there isn’t a trailer brake wire so it will need to be adapted.
There are at least two spare pins of the 13 pins which can be utilised for the 12V supply from the brake controller ..

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is some variation in style but they basically look like this, showing male and female sides (they are stronger than the pathetic flat style plug used in Australia). 13 pin Euro right of hitch, NATO left of hitch:

IBEOS plugs.jpg

th-1835068454.jpg

MA-MP128.jpg

Last edited:

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
The Ineos Australia Guys last November said they used pin12 for the electric brakes.

Cheers
Steve

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So the upshot is, you can probably set up your own van / trailer etc with a 13 pin being a better set up, but you’ll probably also need to buy an adapter to 7 pin flat or round because everyone else in the country uses them, and invariably you’ll be towing something with that set up some time in your life. Anyway that’s my take on it.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
So the upshot is, you can probably set up your own van / trailer etc with a 13 pin being a better set up, but you’ll probably also need to buy an adapter to 7 pin flat or round because everyone else in the country uses them, and invariably you’ll be towing something with that set up some time in your life. Anyway that’s my take on it.
Exactly and the adapters are small enough to carry thin the car at any time.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
I ended up switching all my trailers to 13 pin. They are just better. I do carry an adapter in case I need it though.

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
There is some variation in style but they basically look like this, showing male and female sides (they are stronger than the pathetic flat style plug used in Australia). 13 pin Euro right of hitch, NATO left of hitch:

View attachment 7808885

View attachment 7808882

View attachment 7808881

Is the NATO socket at the rear of the Grenadier connected to the 500A (EXT4) overhead switch? If so I assume the wires used to supply the rear NATO socket would be very thick to handle 500A. Anyone know what gauge wire it would be (0AWG/B&S)?

Reactions: PBD

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is the NATO socket at the rear of the Grenadier connected to the 500A (EXT4) overhead switch? If so I assume the wires used to supply the rear NATO socket would be very thick to handle 500A. Anyone know what gauge wire it would be (0AWG/B&S)?
The specs of the rear NATO plug can be read here (wire size listed under the image).

nato-female-spec-jpg.7808968

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
I just posted on the NATO thread “doc” but would it be possible to charge up the two batteries in my trialmaster via the NATO plug?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just posted on the NATO thread “doc” but would it be possible to charge up the two batteries in my trialmaster via the NATO plug?
I do not believe the car is wired that way, but I do not know for sure. I would wire an Anderson plug into the charger to trickle charge, then you get all the safety features.

Reactions: PBD

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I tested the 13 Euro to 12 pin trailer adaptor I purchased from Vanline (no affiliation) and can confirm that all lights (indicators, stop, hazard, clearance & side-marker lamps) are working as they should.

The one thing I haven't been able to confirm (yet) is whether my caravans break-safe is being charged when using the adaptor. Does anyone know how I can test this? The attached image of my caravans 12pin plug indicates that pin 8 is used for break-safe charging. Is it simply a matter of testing the outlet of pin 8 on the adaptors 12pin female side with a voltmeter, to see if there's voltage coming through?

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_223519.jpg
    IMG_20230905_223519.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom