The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier on the Highway

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a video of a Grenadier (or better still been in the car) driven at some speed on bitumen where we can see/assess the driving characteristics?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
unfortunately nobody except the test drivers had this opportunity so far. As far as I can see everybody who drove it with slightly higher speed on an off-road track with gravel roads has the opinion that it will be very good on tarmac as well.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
yes - but all the driving I have seen in videos so far (either by INEOS testers/drivers driving or more recently driving by customers in Germany & UK) have been only on gravel/dirt and at slowish speeds.

Why is this so? Why has no one taken it the car on the motorway/freeway at 120kph & pulling a loaded trailer?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
I'm sure they will follow with this type of info. It's the sort of "hard" launch stuff rather than the "soft" launch approach to date.

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
yes - but all the driving I have seen in videos so far (either by INEOS testers/drivers driving or more recently driving by customers in Germany & UK) have been only on gravel/dirt and at slowish speeds.

Why is this so? Why has no one taken it the car on the motorway/freeway at 120kph & pulling a loaded trailer?
Apparently Lewis Hamilton drove it around a race track hard, and was very impressed with how it handled.
This was from Sir Jim himself, he said Lewis "drove it like he stole it!" 🤣

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
btw: (very slightly off topic):

The Ineos rep to which I talked in Aufenau told me that he was at the Dubai Event where George Russell drove the Grenadier in the Dunes.

He did it all without diff locks engaged.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
I thought all those earlier vehicles physically lacked the front & rear differentials.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
unfortunately nobody except the test drivers had this opportunity so far. As far as I can see everybody who drove it with slightly higher speed on an off-road track with gravel roads has the opinion that it will be very good on tarmac as well.
I told you that I was able to drive it on the road at about 60 km/h and was very impressed.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score

Possibly because the prototypes aren't fully approved road legal vehicles and have limited insurance cover.
At the prototype stage no other manufacturer would typically even let members of the public sit in a vehicle let alone drive it.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I told you that I was able to drive it on the road at about 60 km/h and was very impressed.
As I remember you wrote that you did drive on a road that was nearly as good as an open street. But even if it has been tarmac under your wheels a speed of 60 km/h doesn’t say not that much e.g. about noises from wind, tires or engine at 130 km/h. Steering quality can’t be checked on low speed neither.
I drove it at well over 60 km/h on a gravel road an I have been impressed.
But only impressed how it feels on a gravel road…

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As I remember you wrote that you did drive on a road that was nearly as good as an open street. But even if it has been tarmac under your wheels a speed of 60 km/h doesn’t say not that much e.g. about noises from wind, tires or engine at 130 km/h. Steering quality can’t be checked on low speed neither.
I drove it at well over 60 km/h on a gravel road an I have been impressed.
But only impressed how it feels on a gravel road…
For me, the 60 km/h was enough to get a feeling for how it drives on the road.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> all those earlier vehicles physically lacked the front & rear differentials.

That's still without differential locks. The word 'engaged' might be misleading.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For me, the 60 km/h was enough to get a feeling for how it drives on the road.
And it’s fine for me that it’s fine for you. I just referred to “grenadierboy” who asked why nobody took the car for a ride on the street with 120 km/h to test it. I never doubted your personal experience at your test drive.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
People just need to be a little patient. the road reviews will come out pretty soon along with all the torture tests.
If you're not an early adopter, there surely is no hurry?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I get all the potential reasons (prototypes, early days, soft openings etc.) but my only point is that when probably the majority of owners will drive the majority of their Grenadier km's on bitumen roads, much at good speeds, INEOS have only focussed on off road driving to date to "prove" the car.

I thought it would be fairly important for potential buyers to know how it handles fully laden at 100/120kpm towing a trailer with a strong cross-wind.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I get all the potential reasons (prototypes, early days, soft openings etc.) but my only point is that when probably the majority of owners will drive the majority of their Grenadier km's on bitumen roads, much at good speeds, INEOS have only focussed on off road driving to date to "prove" the car.
In all fairness to Magna Steyr and their testing of how many motor cars...they would be aware of driving proportions, road vs rough. Most drivers around the world drive on bitumen and if it's NOT up to speed then why would you want to buy it?... to put it on a trailer and take it to the wilderness? No...they will have it sorted. If Lewis Hamilton was impressed and then showed a little nerves off-road, it says a lot to me...happy motoring

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
It's a good question though... I too have been wondering why the marketing vids don't show it cruising the open road

I assumed it was because it's not heroic enough.

Reality, of course, is that many city types will buy this car and will want to know it can handle freeway speeds, traffic, stop/start driving, car park, etc etc.

Here in WA, the king of the off-road is the Landcruiser, but most never get further off the tarmac than the winery car park... so it matters.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a good question though... I too have been wondering why the marketing vids don't show it cruising the open road
I for some reason have just taken it for granted that the testing has covered the obvious to be able to receive roadworthy status because of the rigorous testing for safety, braking, handling, side intrusion, sway, and rollover the list goes on. I still believe that the test drive is the clincher, showing images or footage of roadworthiness will not do it for me...but again Lewis Hamilton says a lot...happy motoring

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In all fairness to Magna Steyr and their testing of how many motor cars...they would be aware of driving proportions, road vs rough. Most drivers around the world drive on bitumen and if it's NOT up to speed then why would you want to buy it?... to put it on a trailer and take it to the wilderness? No...they will have it sorted. If Lewis Hamilton was impressed and then showed a little nerves off-road, it says a lot to me...happy motoring
I get it too Max.

Magna Steyr have been making the MB Gelandewagon for more than 40 years (originally as Steyr Daimler Puch) so they are world leaders in 4x4 design - so I am confident of its on road abilities - I am just mildly surprised we haven't seen it in official video; e.g. why wasn't Lewis Hamilton filmed?

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I get it too Max.

Magna Steyr have been making the MB Gelandewagon for more than 40 years (originally as Steyr Daimler Puch) so they are world leaders in 4x4 design - so I am confident of its on road abilities - I am just mildly surprised we haven't seen it in official video; e.g. why wasn't Lewis Hamilton filmed?
It is hard to understand but Lewis and Jim might be mates and Lewis Hamilton's contracts would be 14lawyers' pages long, so to be seen or even heard promoting a vehicle might not be in the budget, I remember seeing early footage of the car on a test track and it looked pretty good, flat and stable. I also believe that legals will be in place regarding what a prototype can be endorsing or showing off when it is not actually the end product, certified by all the governing bodies for every different need the world over, mind-boggling...happy motoring

Back
Top Bottom