The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Gearing

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
Anythings going to be better than my hilux that does about 2800rpm at 60mph...

Amount of times I've gone to knock her into an immaginary 6th....

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
Bye the by, I was asked in a previous post elsewhere why I wanted to know the "actual"gear ratios for the 8sp ZF in the diesel.
Well, I was /am using the IG example to illustrate a simple exercise in excel spreadsheet calculations to a "rev-head" mid-teen high school student who has difficulty concentrating and is at the moment decidedly "non-academic"...but seriously intelligent and smart. I personally believe him to be "bored" because he's not challenged...except when it comes to anything with wheels and an engine 😉 . I'm certain that many of our fellow Grenadier enthusiasts recognise these emerging traits! for example: the mix of imperial and metric in relation to tyres/tires, diff ratios, it's a rich vein to tap in illustrating why basic mathematics is important... I'm beginning to see 'the penny drop' :rolleyes:🙏

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
which it probably is, making allowance for parallax error ...and every 100rpm equates to approx 6 km/hr (based on the previous photo of the dashboard in the vehicle in Namibia ...rough estimate 136km/hr @2300rpm approx 59km/hr/1000rpm)...so 100km/hr is approx 1700rpm
You are assuming it is a linear relationship.
Which it is not.
I drove a Ford F100 numerous times back in the 1980's
Only 460kms so easy cruise at 100kmh
On one trip it was around 40 degrees and the head winds were so strong we started at 100kmh but decided we could only do 80kmh or we would have run out of fuel.
As it was we rolled into Wilcannia with less than half a tank and topped up.
The higher the speed the more power (to simplify) is required to overcome resistance and therefore increase speed.
Plus if you are in the fast and the furious it also requires 17 gear changes.

1673853306726.png

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Bye the by, I was asked in a previous post elsewhere why I wanted to know the "actual"gear ratios for the 8sp ZF in the diesel.
Well, I was /am using the IG example to illustrate a simple exercise in excel spreadsheet calculations to a "rev-head" mid-teen high school student who has difficulty concentrating and is at the moment decidedly "non-academic"...but seriously intelligent and smart. I personally believe him to be "bored" because he's not challenged...except when it comes to anything with wheels and an engine 😉 . I'm certain that many of our fellow Grenadier enthusiasts recognise these emerging traits! for example: the mix of imperial and metric in relation to tyres/tires, diff ratios, it's a rich vein to tap in illustrating why basic mathematics is important... I'm beginning to see 'the penny drop' :rolleyes:🙏
I had that trouble myself when a teenager.
I found many things easy and therefore after a while boring.
I was a prodigious reader, fantastic memory (particularly images) and very good at maths.
Trouble was I just couldn't find anything that interested me.

Don't give up on them whatever you do

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had that trouble myself when a teenager.
I found many things easy and therefore after a while boring.
I was a prodigious reader, fantastic memory (particularly images) and very good at maths.
Trouble was I just couldn't find anything that interested me.

Don't give up on them whatever you do
Good job the Grenadier has arrived then (almost arrived)

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
I prefer 1.500 U/min at 100 km/h (roundabout).
My Camaro with its 6.2l V8 engine did so, it was very noiseless, and the engine hat the same torque like the Grenadier Diesel (550 NM).
I don´t know what the Ineos Diesel will have, but even 1.600 - 1.800 U/min will be okay - eight gears!
It will be a ride on the torque - I can´t wait till I enjoy!
SEE YOU.:D

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
Simple question. Anyone know what RPM the car turns at 100kph?
Well with an 8 speed auto box, I will assume it is relatively low at cruise on the flat, if you are towing uphill the gearbox will find the appropriate gear and if you are trying to maintain 100kph it will get up there.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry.. was thinking old school. My defender on standard tyres sits on 2500rpm at 100. Those revs make it less than pleasant. Especially for like 3000k :(
Ha ha! My old Landcruiser - in top gear (only fourth), unloaded, on a flat road, with a tailwind, absolutely screamed at 60 mph (100 kph). It hated the highway. But man did it handle rough terrain well in first gear, low range. I could get out and walk next to it while it just trundled along at about a half-mile per hour.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 AM
Reaction score
Great idea academically...if no luck there ask him to draw it...I lectured in art and design and found brilliant students could go on in different areas such as computer programming...the paper industry and more...good work to you...happy motoring

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ha ha! My old Landcruiser - in top gear (only fourth), unloaded, on a flat road, with a tailwind, absolutely screamed at 60 mph (100 kph). It hated the highway. But man did it handle rough terrain well in first gear, low range. I could get out and walk next to it while it just trundled along at about a half-mile per hour.
I had a Toyota Hilux LE Extra Cab back in the early 80's
There was a button on the dash I called the overtaking button
It was actually the aircon off button.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great idea academically...if not luck there ask him to draw it...I lectured in art and design and found brilliant students could go on in different areas such as computer programming...the paper industry and more...good work to you...happy motoring
My son didn't enjoy school and started a carpentry apprenticeship when he was 16
The company closed a year later and he decided to join the army
Now a Sargent, 34 years old and loving it.
Part of an Army/Airforce joint venture R&D team.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I had a Toyota Hilux LE Extra Cab back in the early 80's
There was a button on the dash I called the overtaking button
It was actually the aircon off button.
Ahhh shit. I still do that in my 2017 Tacoma.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 AM
Reaction score
My son didn't enjoy school and started a carpentry apprenticeship when he was 16
The company closed a year later and he decided to join the army
Now a Sargent, 34 years old and loving it.
Part of an Army/Airforce joint venture R&D team.
A bit of Grenadier Gearing there...maybe he would like a change of scenery and you could have a beer together...which pub?

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
0ld Land Cruiser's like the ones I used to have 1st low varied between 38:1 to 44:1 depending on model, the current model 79 series is 44:1, by comparison the B57 Ineos Grenadier has a first low of 56.3:1, and a 2400rpm stall converter. The new defender is 52:1 first low, V6 manual Amarok 51:1 first low.
The Jeep Rubicon I think by memory is about 65:1

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
0ld Land Cruiser's like the ones I used to have 1st low varied between 38:1 to 44:1 depending on model, the current model 79 series is 44:1, by comparison the B57 Ineos Grenadier has a first low of 56.3:1, and a 2400rpm stall converter. The new defender is 52:1 first low, V6 manual Amarok 51:1 first low.
The Jeep Rubicon I think by memory is about 65:1
I think the guy who owned the FJ-40 before me must have re-geared it to be a crawler. It was so slow in low range, and it really couldn't handle highway speeds. As I recall, it totally maxed-out at 60 mph. In contrast, my 1978 Jeep CJ-7, which was only a three-speed manual, was much better on the highway.

The current Rubicon has a 4:1 low range. When paired with a manual transmission, it has a crawl ratio of 100:1 (first gear, low range)! I believe the crawl ratio for the Rubicon with an automatic transmission is about 85:1

Source: https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/capability.html

To be honest, I wish that the low-range in the Grenadier was a little lower than 2.5:1 (somewhere between 3:1 and 4:1 - like the Jeep) - but that is because my priority is steep, rocky hill climbs and descents; a super-low range gives you lots of control, both on the way up, and on the way down. But I know that most people on this forum and totally satisfied with 2.5:1 - so I keep my mouth shut - mostly!

Back
Top Bottom