The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Crash

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
Taken from a German article on a Facebook page. Pretty serious crash between a Grenadier and a light truck. The article says the driver of the truck had to be cut out and taken to hospital but doesn’t mention the Grenadier occupants at all so the assumption is they were ok, clearly the airbags went off. It appears that while the front of the Grenadier is totaled there does not appear to be much if any cabin deformation.
IMG_5055.jpeg
IMG_5054.jpeg
https://www.ff-stjohann.at/einsaetz...7vso0K7ly3y95l-jcmKisxNnV0jqE&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
it seems small overlap test passed . would be interesting to see more pictures and what the make of the other vehicle was .
Hope everyone is ok and its only stuff that got damaged . Still very interesting to see ( i will confess that i would like to have seen test crashing of the gren . th eonly bit that makes me feel comfortable it is that it was designed by people who know what they are doing ) .

roadfever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:13 PM
Reaction score
it seems small overlap test passed . would be interesting to see more pictures and what the make of the other vehicle was .
Link to the article shows a couple more pictures where you can see the other vehicle.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Reactions: PBD

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The position of the vehicles would suggest the VW Crafter (I think that's what the double-cab ute is) might have been well over the centreline.

Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The position of the vehicles would suggest the VW Crafter (I think that's what the double-cab ute is) might have been well over the centreline.
Or the Ineos driver was overtaking , and had to duck back in very quickly , but not quite quickly enough.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
The driver of the light truck came on the wrong side of the road for unknow reasons. both drivers have been heavily injured. the trucks driver had to be rescued with hydraulic tools (and a winch?!?). the co-driver fro the Grenadier has light injuries.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
Hugely unpleasant images to see, hopefully there will be no loss of life.

It is reassuring in the absence of lab based crash tests to see that the Grenadier is clearly built as tough as it looks and stands up to massive impacts with minimal deformation.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The driver of the light truck came on the wrong side of the road for unknow reasons. both drivers have been heavily injured. the trucks driver had to be rescued with hydraulic tools (and a winch?!?). the co-driver fro the Grenadier has light injuries.

Well I don’t wish harm on anyone but disappointing to hear that the Grenadier driver was also seriously injured. Was hoping from the initial report that since it didn’t mention them that they were ok.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I don’t wish harm on anyone but disappointing to hear that the Grenadier driver was also seriously injured. Was hoping from the initial report that since it didn’t mention them that they were ok.
In high speed crashes it is hard to avoid injuries, no matter how good the car is.

In Australia, a high speed is any crash with a combined impact speed over 60 kph. In my accident, the combined impact speed was between 150-180 kph. Your car can make difference between life and death. Injuries also influenced by where your car is hit. In my accident, the other car (Toyota Troop Carrier) pushed the front of my car back about one metre, but it pushed the engine away from me because of the angle of impact.

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
🤔 perhaps there is a third car involved which the crafter contacted first. The scenes I know when 2 cars crashed partially they've never stood side by side at the end. Due to the speed the cars normaly would have more distance to each other than seen in the pictures.
But just my 2 Cents.

Edit: There was a third (called SUV in the text) car involved:
Laut Polizei war der 26-jährige Lenker eines Transporters aus noch unbekannten Gründen auf die Gegenfahrbahn geraten und streifte dort erst einen SUV und kollidierte schließlich frontal mit einem Geländefahrzeug.

So I guess some of the kinetic energy was impacted by the third (not pictured) car not of the Grenadier.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
Having spent over a decade responding to vehicle accidents at every range of speed (our response area has several major highways as well as plenty of residential), I can tell you that generally the news reports of "seriously injured" (or more usually stated "minor injuries" vs "possibly life threatening" vs "life threatening") is almost always based solely on the transport priority of the patient. That priority can be decided by the provider or the protocols (which usually include vehicle damage, regardless of injury).

In a short response, because the impact was on the drivers side and was at moderate to high speed, the driver's injuries may have been reported as "serious" even if it was leg/knee pain and burns on the wrist from the airbag. This isn't to diminish any injury or underplay the severity of the crash in general, just giving a perspective from someone who has worked the other side of things

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
🤔 perhaps there is a third car involved which the crafter contacted first. The scenes I know when 2 cars crashed partially they've never stood side by side at the end. Due to the speed the cars normaly would have more distance to each other than seen in the pictures.
But just my 2 Cents.
A third car or just one mobile phone!

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If the cell phone was the cause of the accident, the text would read: The driver swerved to avoid a wild animal.;)

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Clearly the VW driver was distracted by the impressive, oncoming Grenadier. As is usually the case, if you fixate on something whilst driving/riding, even if it's something you are trying to avoid, you inevitably end up heading straight at it.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
Clearly the VW driver was distracted by the impressive, oncoming Grenadier. As is usually the case, if you fixate on something whilst driving/riding, even if it's something you are trying to avoid, you inevitably end up heading straight at it.
Especially true on a motorcycle. You're going where you are looking, so look where you want to go.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope you are wrong! We all would be in deadly danger if you would be right! What could be wished for more on the roads than an own Grenadier? If everyone who likes to own one just stares and steers in our direction we are in trouble…

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
My takeaway is the cabin looks like it is in mint condition. My understanding is these are the worse type of accidents because most vehicles are designed to take front impact better than at a angle.

Back
Top Bottom