The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier competitor?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
Id have bought a stripped out solid axle G professional in a heartbeat, if they charged a reasonable amount for it. However it was never offered to us in the UK, and it was stupid money. I know they're well built vehicles, but for what is essentially a 30 year old design, with absolutley no mod cons, it was way too steep. 

As for the new professional trim, that seems like an exterior package, and is at the other end of the spectrum luxury wise. its too much, i dont want an S class interior, just somewhere decent to sit for 10 hour road stints. 

The Grenadier is the vehicle that splits the difference, whilst also coming in cheaper than both of the Mercs. its more comfortable than the old G, whilst having enough modern safety and creature comforts. 

Id love Merc to prove me wrong and pull out a sub 60k G wagon with offroad hardware and modern pickup levels of comfort, but i cant see it happening!

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
@Spjnr you are looking at a 1996-99 G300TD or better still a 2008 G280 CDI Pur. Being in the UK maybe you can import one for reasonably ok money. It’s still be LHD though. 
here in the US we can import a G300TD but clean ones are near nigh impossible to find and the G280 Pur is forbidden fruit for another 12-14 years

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I agree this version of the G is just some cosmetic stuff. The Pur/ Professional looks good but I never warned up to the low hanging intercoolers on the edges of the front bumper

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Is this even entering production? 
Or is it Benz just testing the water to see if people want a basic capable 4x4. Well yes they do and we’re tired of jeeps and death wobble. 
If you really make this Mercedes,  please price it and spec it accordingly otherwise it’ll be parked in the “waste of engineering effort” lot next to the Brabus G Wagon and it’s trio of redundant lockers. 

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
I doubt MB can supply any sort of even basic G wagen at a competitive price in Australia. And their utility/pickup effort (X class) based on a Nissan chassis was a bit of an overpriced dud and they've ceased bothering with that.

Red pepper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
Yes, will be interesting to see if they push harder to make it  "real" competitor for the Grenadier and  make some adjustments to be able to sell it to civilians. 
I bought MB 2018 G300 Professional new, and in 2018 cost me AU $ 112 K, the Grenadier is absolutely Luxury car compare to the MB, but price wise it wasn't far away from what Grenadier (+some options) is going to cost in Australia, but the new updated MB Professional,  if they will make some adjustments for the "Civil" market probably will be priced from $AU150K at least, so can't wait to get Grenadier and enjoy some Luxury. 

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Anyhow you shake it the G300 looks fabulous fitted out for off-road travel. 

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
I hear that the Australian Army are having a lot of trouble with their G Wagons. Lots of things falling off and not operating properly.

Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
Looks like what's left over after the Special Forces boys stripped it for parts their Mad Max  versions!????

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom