The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Greeting from Canada! Just got my invite to spec my IG order, but having some thoughts. I'm looking forward to feedback from others.

Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
I am now driving my third LR3/4. I recently replaced my 2012 LR4 with a 2015 LR4. This is an interim purchase as I try to make a decision for the"next gen" of capable 4x4. I have looked at the new LR Defender, and the full electric Rivian R1S. We own a 4 season cottage in Quebec - and we get real winter weather. My cottage has a steep and challenging 700' driveway which is at the end of 14km of dirt road. I have broken a 7,500 lbs recovery strap towing a delivery truck that got stuck in my laneway (we did get him out). I have rescued fellow cottagers and a few hunters that got stuck in treacherous road conditions. I require a reliable 4x4 with good towing capacity for my boat and several trailers. I drive my LR4 like a truck. I don't baby it - I need capable, not pretty, not that there is anything wrong with "pretty".

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
I am now driving my third LR3/4. I recently replaced my 2012 LR4 with a 2015 LR4. This is an interim purchase as I try to make a decision for the"next gen" of capable 4x4. I have looked at the new LR Defender, and the full electric Rivian R1S. We own a 4 season cottage in Quebec - and we get real winter weather. My cottage has a steep and challenging 700' driveway which is at the end of 14km of dirt road. I have broken a 7,500 lbs recovery strap towing a delivery truck that got stuck in my laneway (we did get him out). I have rescued fellow cottagers and a few hunters that got stuck in treacherous road conditions. I require a reliable 4x4 with good towing capacity for my boat and several trailers. I drive my LR4 like a truck. I don't baby it - I need capable, not pretty, not that there is anything wrong with "pretty".
Hi TomCan, You certainly need a proper 4x4. I have owned the New Defender, (2020 First Edition 110 with P400 Petrol Engine), and have to say it is the most incredible vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned in the past a 2007 & 2011 & 2019 Range Rover Sports and the Defender is on another level above them, especially with the breathtaking 0-60 in just 5.8 seconds. Incredible exhilarating performance and seamless integration of all the on-road / off-road systems and software. At first I had to get used to the new design, however now it has become iconic.
I have also driven the new Grenadier and came away even more impressed after taking an off-road test drive in a prototype.. It is built stout and I love the old school Defender type look and have already placed my pre-order yesterday. Looking for a new adventure. If there are any compromises between the New Defender and the Grenadier, I would say for me it is just three minor things.
First, will I be able to relax and enjoy less horsepower. I always feel in driving my New Defender that I am driving a Porsche, LOL.
Two, will I miss all the extra conveniences like the video rear view mirror on the New Defender and seamless integration of all the 4x4 drive systems and software.
Three, although I love the interior of the Grenadier, I wish some of plastics and trim was just a bit more lux and a bit more scratch resistant.
Only time will tell if these few compromises will offset the Grenadier. Some of these items may be addressed in the future by Grenadier, ie more horsepower options, video rear view mirror & trim.
The Grenadier also has some very cool features the New Defender does not have, such as the Safari Windows and the incredible airplane cockpit. From owning a 2020 New Defender for 2 1/2 years, I can let you know it is in my opinion the number one 50/50% off-road / on-road vehicle in the world. I believe that the Grenadier will be the number one 65/35% off-road / on-road vehicle in the world. Either should fit your purpose. DaBull

Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
Hi TomCan, You certainly need a proper 4x4. I have owned the New Defender, (2020 First Edition 110 with P400 Petrol Engine), and have to say it is the most incredible vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned in the past a 2007 & 2011 & 2019 Range Rover Sports and the Defender is on another level above them, especially with the breathtaking 0-60 in just 5.8 seconds. Incredible exhilarating performance and seamless integration of all the on-road / off-road systems and software. At first I had to get used to the new design, however now it has become iconic.
I have also driven the new Grenadier and came away even more impressed after taking an off-road test drive in a prototype.. It is built stout and I love the old school Defender type look and have already placed my pre-order yesterday. Looking for a new adventure. If there are any compromises between the New Defender and the Grenadier, I would say for me it is just three minor things.
First, will I be able to relax and enjoy less horsepower. I always feel in driving my New Defender that I am driving a Porsche, LOL.
Two, will I miss all the extra conveniences like the video rear view mirror on the New Defender and seamless integration of all the 4x4 drive systems and software.
Three, although I love the interior of the Grenadier, I wish some of plastics and trim was just a bit more lux and a bit more scratch resistant.
Only time will tell if these few compromises will offset the Grenadier. Some of these items may be addressed in the future by Grenadier, ie more horsepower options, video rear view mirror & trim.
The Grenadier also has some very cool features the New Defender does not have, such as the Safari Windows and the incredible airplane cockpit. From owning a 2020 New Defender for 2 1/2 years, I can let you know it is in my opinion the number one 50/50% off-road / on-road vehicle in the world. I believe that the Grenadier will be the number one 65/35% off-road / on-road vehicle in the world. Either should fit your purpose. DaBull
Thanks DaBull. The specs on the new Defender are impressive, including the newer mild hybrid. Not sure about the spare tire on the rear tailgate, nor the massive amount of space opening the tailgate requires. I will likely take one for a test drive in the near future. But my impression is that the new Defender is in fact an updated version of the LR4. Which is not necessarally a bad thing.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
It is good to see the new Defender receive such accolades and most likely well deserved too. For me, the new Defender suffers in two distinct areas.
1. Reliability. JLR have an atrocious reputation in this area and hopefully the new Defender can prove this is a corner they have turned.
2. Image / Ubiquity. As much as the new Defender appeals, I really don’t want to be that closely associated with many of the clientele. I know that sounds snobbish and I guess it is.
The Grenadier for me, is more than the sum of its parts. Hopefully it proves to be a vehicle that one keeps for a long time and doesn’t need to trade in come the end of the warranty. Watch this space.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
It is good to see the new Defender receive such accolades and most likely well deserved too. For me, the new Defender suffers in two distinct areas.
1. Reliability. JLR have an atrocious reputation in this area and hopefully the new Defender can prove this is a corner they have turned.
2. Image / Ubiquity. As much as the new Defender appeals, I really don’t want to be that closely associated with many of the clientele. I know that sounds snobbish and I guess it is.
The Grenadier for me, is more than the sum of its parts. Hopefully it proves to be a vehicle that one keeps for a long time and doesn’t need to trade in come the end of the warranty. Watch this space.
My neighbour across the road has owned a new defender for about 18 months now.
I noticed a while ago that it wasn’t around for a couple of months and thought he’d sold it.
Then it turned up a few weeks ago, so asked him what the go was. He just rolled his eyes and said bloody land rovers. It had been in for warranty issues for well over a month.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
Thanks DaBull. The specs on the new Defender are impressive, including the newer mild hybrid. Not sure about the spare tire on the rear tailgate, nor the massive amount of space opening the tailgate requires. I will likely take one for a test drive in the near future. But my impression is that the new Defender is in fact an updated version of the LR4. Which is not necessarally a bad thing.
Hi TomCan, I have have the newer mild hybrid in my 2020 Defender 110. It is a 48 volt battery system that gets regenerated partially or fully when you brake. Its purpose is to spin up the super charger to some crazy figure in a micro second giving you instant torque off the line. It gives you that high torque as if it was a diesel. It also has turbos. All work seamlessly to give you impressive and exciting performance of zero to 60 in 5.8 seconds, (going to miss that on my new Grenadier).
Depending of the spec of the new Defenders, some will come with the video rear view mirror, which gives you an unobstructed wide angle view of anything behind you. You simply toggle a lever on the mirror and one way it is a regular mirror where the tire does obstruct some but not all of the view. You toggle it the other way and its is now a video rear view mirror and it's incredible how you see everything behind you. Although it took a little while to get used to the video mirror, (mainly because the view is wider than normal human vision is), once you have driven a car with one of these mirrors, you are hooked. Great for safety and confidence driving. I am going to miss this on the Grenadier, however there are aftermarket solutions out there, which I will get. I have not had any issues with the large rear door. Yes, it is a bit heavy, however easy to open & the hinges holding it are stout. It also has a gas strut that if you give the door a jiggle in any position, holds the door in that position, brilliant. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom