The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gday, Hello, Hi, Bonjour, Hallo, Ciao, Hola from Canberra Australia

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
Outside of wine speak that's about the limit of my non english skills and I hope I got them right:unsure:
Thanks to the administrators and contributors for all that has gone into the forum.
In just a few days I've already learnt a lot about the Gren after getting serious about touring OZ in my retirement.
Thommo

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

As I've asked others - have you played with the configurer? What is your build like?

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I've got more configurations than I can save. But mainly because I'm playing around with the after build accessories Roo Bar, Cargo options etc
In terms of factory options I'm pretty sure on
Park Assist, Lockable Stowage Box, Lockable Spare Wheel Box, Access Ladder, Exterior Utility Belt, Privacy Glass, Aux Batt, High Load Panel, Front PDC.
I will probably add the front mounted tow panel and carry a winch suitable for both front and rear operation. I haven't looked onto what 5500kg tow bar mounted winches are available.

I've played around with the option packs and Trailmaster/Fieldmaster configs but suspect I get what I want just by building up a base model.

The big issue I'm undecided on as a factory fitted option is Differential Locks. While we will stay on made roads and not be "off road" on extreme trails etc we will hit a lot of rough dusty (and hence possibly muddy) roads and the occasional soft beach.
I didn't think until writing this that I needed them.
But after thinking about thunderstorms turning dusty roads into mud and being on our own think I just convinced myself to get them.
So thanks for asking!

I will probably end up with both types of tyres and which we use will depend on the trip we do. I"m not sure about alloy vs steel but I'm sure my mates who have a lot more experience will give me lots of advice
We want the option to car camp in more remote areas, rather than tow a trailer of any sort. So will be adding a full roof rack and take out the 2nd row seats. We may opt for a bed in the car instead of a tent/rooftop tent.

Thanks
Paul

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
Well I've got more configurations than I can save. But mainly because I'm playing around with the after build accessories Roo Bar, Cargo options etc
In terms of factory options I'm pretty sure on
Park Assist, Lockable Stowage Box, Lockable Spare Wheel Box, Access Ladder, Exterior Utility Belt, Privacy Glass, Aux Batt, High Load Panel, Front PDC.
I will probably add the front mounted tow panel and carry a winch suitable for both front and rear operation. I haven't looked onto what 5500kg tow bar mounted winches are available.

I've played around with the option packs and Trailmaster/Fieldmaster configs but suspect I get what I want just by building up a base model.

The big issue I'm undecided on as a factory fitted option is Differential Locks. While we will stay on made roads and not be "off road" on extreme trails etc we will hit a lot of rough dusty (and hence possibly muddy) roads and the occasional soft beach.
I didn't think until writing this that I needed them.
But after thinking about thunderstorms turning dusty roads into mud and being on our own think I just convinced myself to get them.
So thanks for asking!

I will probably end up with both types of tyres and which we use will depend on the trip we do. I"m not sure about alloy vs steel but I'm sure my mates who have a lot more experience will give me lots of advice
We want the option to car camp in more remote areas, rather than tow a trailer of any sort. So will be adding a full roof rack and take out the 2nd row seats. We may opt for a bed in the car instead of a tent/rooftop tent.

Thanks
Paul
The diff locks are certainly a good choice as they can not be retrofitted that easy with the Carraro axles. At least the test drivers told everybody so this summer.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
I agree on the diff locks. They're $3,000ish, so 15 per axle - which is not bad. A pair of ARB air lockers will come close to that for parts alone, not accounting for compressor, switches, install, etc.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
I agree on the diff locks. They're $3,000ish, so 15 per axle - which is not bad. A pair of ARB air lockers will come close to that for parts alone, not accounting for compressor, switches, install, etc.
They said the diff locks can't be added later without changing the diffs & axles
That will make it a pretty expensive exercise.
No idea if you could fit an airlocker later but I doubt it as they are not common diffs

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have ordered an Utility Wagon with two seats, many features like pt888. Yesterday I spoke with my car dealer, ROADSTAR Automobile in Nuremberg, Mr. Schultheiß. He told me that he doesn´t know about a "restriction list" from ineos. A restriction list tells you that you can´t get your car early, if you order leather seats - for example. So you can react, take standard seats, and you will get your car soon.
And I asked him about the keys in the papers. "n1" in germany means you get a truck (important for insurance and tax), "m1" in germany means you get a car. He wanted to reply, I am still waiting.
Diff locks? - In every case, YESS, I ordered them. Perhaps I will use them once a year - but then I will need them! I know some very nice "roads" on sardignia (Italy), I didn´t choose because my Toyota hasn´t three diff locks - with the Grenadier I will do it - oh yeah - and smile!!!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
The diff locks are certainly a good choice as they can not be retrofitted that easy with the Carraro axles. At least the test drivers told everybody so this summer.
I'm curious to understand where the issues are with a retrofit and what makes it not easy.

There's a very decent/expert aftermarket engineering sector in the UK that are well versed in tinkering with these things.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
They said the diff locks can't be added later without changing the diffs & axles
That will make it a pretty expensive exercise.
No idea if you could fit an airlocker later but I doubt it as they are not common diffs
They'll be pretty common soon.....

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm curious to understand where the issues are with a retrofit and what makes it not easy.

There's a very decent/expert aftermarket engineering sector in the UK that are well versed in tinkering with these things.
I remember some pictures of the axles where there was no screwed diff housing. It seemed to be one piece what of course can not be. Maybe you have a picture in your collection.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think it is the physical size of the diffs.
They are different sizes for with and without diff locks
That may well be correct and there may be a good reason for it, but I have to say looking at the footprint of an Eaton e locker and then the Grenadier rear axle diagram, it seems it should be a straight swap...

Eaton-ELocker-1000.jpgScreenshot_20211023_162547_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I remember some pictures of the axles where there was no screwed diff housing. It seemed to be one piece what of course can not be. Maybe you have a picture in your collection.
FB_IMG_1635402815029.jpg

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ordered an hour ago. Got my video and love it. Will supposedly get my estimated dates in 24hrs.
Will order the dealer fit accessories outside of delivery to avoid paying any more tax to the stinking government than necessary.
First became aware of this car 4 days ago and told the misses I was getting one for our often talked about retirement adventures over Oz.
My mates will piss themselves over my impulsiveness (I bought my Merc GLC as a new car at a hail damaged auction because it had a lot of buttons and all options - I love it as a blacktop tourer) but then they all have Landcruisers, Rangers and twin cab utes so they aren't particularly adventurous!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ordered an hour ago. Got my video and love it. Will supposedly get my estimated dates in 24hrs.
Will order the dealer fit accessories outside of delivery to avoid paying any more tax to the stinking government than necessary.
First became aware of this car 4 days ago and told the misses I was getting one for our often talked about retirement adventures over Oz.
My mates will piss themselves over my impulsiveness (I bought my Merc GLC as a new car at a hail damaged auction because it had a lot of buttons and all options - I love it as a blacktop tourer) but then they all have Landcruisers, Rangers and twin cab utes so they aren't particularly adventurous!
You mates will get no sleep for weeks because they will think it over and over whether they can be as bold as you are. And of course whether they can stand the storm if they would be.

Back
Top Bottom