The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Full roof rack to fit in garage

A

Andy

I was wondering if anyone has had more luck than me getting info out of IG on the full size roof rack.  I understand it is a Rhino rack but would like the following information  :

1. Weight of rack
2. Dimensions of rack  
3.  How much height does it add to the standard 2036mm roof height. 

I was told by IG that it was 2063mmwith rack added.  However looking at the pictures and the standard height of the tray being approx 45 mm  for the pioneer tray on the Rhino site , the 2063 does not look possible.  

Any help will be appreciated.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
The IG brochure states height at 2033mmThe largest Pioneer platform (52119F) is 47mm thick  and weighs 40.6kgMy maths therefore say 2080mm minimum,  but you'd need Ineos to confirm all dimensions.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Tazzieman userid=8441415 postid=1333111365]The IG brochure states height at 2033mmThe largest Pioneer platform (52119F) is 47mm thick  and weighs 40.6kgMy maths therefore say 2080mm minimum,  but you'd need Ineos to confirm all dimensions.[/QUOTE]

Have you allowed for the height of the legs? 

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
No as we don't have that data. My calcs assume the platform rests on the highest point of the vehicle , the factory roof strips. I suspect it will be at least 2100mm but I don't know.

A

Andy

That's a good point about resting on the rubber roof rails,  They are supposed to be able to take the weight.   maybe that's what IG will do.

HorstVoll

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
According to the feedback from IG support the height with the full rack will be 2,12m. That’s a pity since in our region many garages have a height limit of 2,1m.
I‘ve no clue how reliable this number is but, this is the answer I got. It appears to be in a reasonable range compared to the pictures and thickness of the Rhino Rack.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
2cm air down - valid excuse to fit a compressor in the back next to the bottle jack cubby hole!

Tks info

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
Related question about roof racks - what is a dynamic load and what is a static load as it pertains utilizing a rack? I’ve never had or used a RR but am considering getting one with the hopes of using the IG to enter the world of overlanding (a slow, baby/baby steps approach).

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Related question about roof racks - what is a dynamic load and what is a static load as it pertains utilizing a rack? I’ve never had or used a RR but am considering getting one with the hopes of using the IG to enter the world of overlanding (a slow, baby/baby steps approach).
That is the big question
Depending on the manufacturer and the use.
IG roof rating is 150/430KG
That includes the weight of the rack and mounting brackets along with everything you dump on it
Many roof rack manufacturers have on road ratings and off road ratings or de-rating factors of up to 50%.
So
the rack weighs 30kg
The brackets weigh 10kg
In theory you can put another 110kgs on it.
But if the rack is only rated to hold 80KGS and then has a 50% de-rating factor for off road use you are down to only 40KG of stuff

I asked if the Rhino rack supplied was off road de-rated and they were unsure.
From Rhino Rack website
1670734085308.png

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
With a decent rooftop tent around 60kg there isn't much wiggle room. I'll save a bit by not going for the full length rack.
A steel rack with rails is bloody heavy!
Clearly there are a lot of vehicles out there well over the limit.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
Just to answer the question you asked:
The static load is the load you can put on the roof while the car stands still ( you in the roof tent)
The dynamic load is the load that is allowed on the roof while you drive the car.

I am not sure whether you wanted to be reassured regarding this basic information but I did understand your question that way.

Back
Top Bottom