The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel economy

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
You just have to get this app for your phone. “PetrolSpy”. Don’t worry, it does diesel also. Shows you the price of petrol station fuel everywhere (On a map). Will default to the area around your location, but can be used to plan a long drive. My V8 D2 uses 18-20L/100 km, PetrolSpy helps. I can see that diesel, in Brisbane, ranges in price from $2.15 to $2.30/L. In Cairns it is 2.12 - 2.28.
Yeah, I use that - but still the cost of fuel is up there haha!

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
Yep... but also 27 years older... and that means some...
Don't agree. Age doesn't matter. It's only(!) that f%?!ing emission control systems that ruin mpg.

My TD5 is around 10l/100km, mixed driving scenario. My VW Golf 2 TD of 83 was (soon _is_ again...) around 5l/100km, same mixed driving scenario, ~400.000km of statistics, not becoming worse over time, 600.000km was the first engine overhaul.

Engine improvements are more than eaten up by emission control systems.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday I tried to drive in a efficient way on the Autobahn. I set the cruise control to 86 km/h to get the speed of a normal truck (83 gps speed) and went off to my meeting. It is possible to get a 7 in front of the comma if you set the cc to 70-80 km/h. But then it is no fun as all trucks had to overtake.
The Grenadier can be driven efficient if it is in the 8th gear at lowest rpm and you do not have to accelerate. Braking is strictly forbidden as it kills precious kinetic energy…
By the way 8.0 litres per 100 km means 29.4 miles/US gallon and 35.3 miles/UK gallon
(Setup: Fieldmaster diesel, no winch, rocksliders, steps,rai or roof rack. Empty car)
Certainly. But you don't call that "driving", do you?

Local time
Reaction score
Just a though: If you want to drive 140 km/h (85 mph) do you have the right car for that?

My cruising speeds are usually around 90 km/h and typically consumption with diesels is 9 l/100 km in the summer and 10 in the winter (more resistance, lighter fuel due to cold).

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Cali - leading the way to show the rest of the world 'how to wreck your economy!'. That is quite expensive even now at the stock barrel price...
Obviously partnering up with Germany...

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes the drag increases with the square of the speed so even 5MPH makes a difference.
...and that's only a part of the truth: Since required power is ~ speed x drag², going at double speed required 8x the power. But: for only half of the time ;-)

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Just a though: If you want to drive 140 km/h (85 mph) do you have the right car for that?

My cruising speeds are usually around 90 km/h and typically consumption with diesels is 9 l/100 km in the summer and 10 in the winter (more resistance, lighter fuel due to cold).
You're from the Canaries, right? Lucky you...

When I drive my Santana 88 Super Turbo on La Palma, I hardly reach 90km/h top speed. Cruising is rather at 40...60km/h.

Since I (unfortunately still) have to spend most of my time in Germany, with the Gren cruising is 130...140 to approximately keep up with traffic. Going slower gives you more stress than going faster around here....

BTW: Is there an INEOS representative in the Canaries? Could not locate one so far. IMHO the Canaries would be a market for several 100 vehicles in total, but I can be wrong.

Local time
Reaction score
Currently yes, but I've done most of my driving in Finland where speed limits are 80-100-120 (only highways) km/h. Some longer trips to Estonia, latvia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Holland, UK, and now when relocating myself through France and Spain. I think I have bee driving 100-110 km/h on European highways. A little bit faster coming here but i had may L322 then.

Not rep here, closest is Málaga. I've been told that Ineos plans to have a service location in Tenerife. Will see. Anythow even Gran Canaria would be fine compared to ferry trip to mainland Spain ... e.g. just for program update :rolleyes:

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Diesel

I’m currently doing the same test with a tank of premium diesel to see if there’s a difference. It will have to be a big difference as it’s 15p a litre more.
31.2 MPG on Diesel, standard diesel fuel on a run Dorset to Kent mixed driving, best Ive ever had !! before that was 30.6. Measured full tank to refill. so not too shappy.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
31.2 MPG on Diesel, standard diesel fuel on a run Dorset to Kent mixed driving, best Ive ever had !! before that was 30.6. Measured full tank to refill. so not too shappy.
Did that figure come from the truck's computer, or did you do the math (ie full tank, drove Xmiles, filled again, divided miles by fuel)?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the car shows speed and distance with a five percent error. So the real consumption will be that higher.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is running 33” tyres. So the speedometer is almost bang on accurate. Probably why I haven’t yet cracked 30 mpg.
That’s of course one important reason why 33“ tyres are a good choice 👍 😀

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All vehicle manufacturers read 3-5% higher than true speed.
Designed to stop people from blaming them f they are done for speeding.
Allows for the standard error in instruments.

Is this a known discrepancy in the speedometer?
As far as I know its the difference some drivers noted. It definitely applies to my car. I navigate with the waze app. It shows the gps speed all time so I can compare to the speedometer.
The 3-5 % DaveB wrote are right for sure.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
All vehicle manufacturers read 3-5% higher than true speed.
Designed to stop people from blaming them f they are done for speeding.
Allows for the standard error in instruments.
The Australian Design Rules

"The Australian Design Rules require that a vehicle’s speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 per cent plus 4 km/h.

This means that the vehicle’s true speed must not be higher than the speed indicated by the speedo. That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h, the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. An alternative way to look at it is; at an indicated speed of 100km/h, the vehicle’s true speed must be between 86 km/h and 100km/h. Generally speaking, on modern cars the true speed is only a few km/h less that the indicated speed.

GPS speed readings can be accurate, but not always. It is therefore recommended that you use your vehicle’s speedo for consistency."

My experience on highways (as recent as last Thursday) is that most semi-trailers including B doubles travel right on the upper speed limit of the GPS.... and try to push you along to either increase yr speed or get out of the way.
I normally travel at the posted limit minus 5kmh...so I try to get out of their way....

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
The Australian Design Rules

"The Australian Design Rules require that a vehicle’s speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 per cent plus 4 km/h.

This means that the vehicle’s true speed must not be higher than the speed indicated by the speedo. That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h, the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. An alternative way to look at it is; at an indicated speed of 100km/h, the vehicle’s true speed must be between 86 km/h and 100km/h. Generally speaking, on modern cars the true speed is only a few km/h less that the indicated speed.

GPS speed readings can be accurate, but not always. It is therefore recommended that you use your vehicle’s speedo for consistency."

My experience on highways (as recent as last Thursday) is that most semi-trailers including B doubles travel right on the upper speed limit of the GPS.... and try to push you along to either increase yr speed or get out of the way.
I normally travel at the posted limit minus 5kmh...so I try to get out of their way....
On the vehicles I have owned the indicated versus GPS versus road side radar at 100kmh indicated is 94-96 usually

Back
Top Bottom