The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel economy

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
Am just going to ask you if you understand the metric system? Having a system based on multiples of ten, is dead easy, and everything interlinks. From memory, the USA did not go metric because it would have been too costly for their large manufacturing sector. Today that sector is diminished, maybe now is a good time.
The US went metric years ago (1975) and then caved in and made it optional not compulsory.
Sadly the two most common items sold in metric are soft drinks (soda ) 2 litre (US spell it Liter) bottles and bulk cocaine.
A major Australian house builder proved years ago that they could save 20% on the cost of building a house by using metric and also make the build quality far better.
Cutting to 0.5mm or 1mm rather than 1/8" (3.175 mm) or 1/16" (1.58mm) makes a huge difference.
There's also the massive NASA stuffup
I have found lots of US engineering and technical companies work in metric.

I am sure there is logic behind US timber/lumbar sizes.

1694914399343.png1694914488179.png1694914569497.png

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
The US went metric years ago (1975) and then caved in and made it optional not compulsory.
Sadly the two most common items sold in metric are soft drinks (soda ) 2 litre (US spell it Liter) bottles and bulk cocaine.
A major Australian house builder proved years ago that they could save 20% on the cost of building a house by using metric and also make the build quality far better.
Cutting to 0.5mm or 1mm rather than 1/8" (3.175 mm) or 1/16" (1.58mm) makes a huge difference.
There's also the massive NASA stuffup
I have found lots of US engineering and technical companies work in metric.

I am sure there is logic behind US timber/lumbar sizes.

View attachment 7827060View attachment 7827061View attachment 7827062
There is no logic to US lumber sizing. Quality/precision comes down to the skill of the carpenter/craftsman. As a bicycle nut I have used the metric system since the 1980’s, including all my carpentry projects.

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
EPA question - In the latest announcement Greg Clark said they had received EPA certification. Does that mean the 14/15 mpg (US) are confirmed? If so…dang, that’s pretty poor economy. I just did a 2,500+ mile road trip in my 1997 80-Series Land Cruiser with over 300k miles (120k on the rebuild). Loaded with a rack, RRT & 10gal of petrol to just under max GVWR. Most of the roads were over 6,000’ elevation too. I got over 15 mpg calculated at the pump and adjusted for the 285 series tires. This is almost 30-year old technology too…

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
Am just going to ask you if you understand the metric system? Having a system based on multiples of ten, is dead easy, and everything interlinks. From memory, the USA did not go metric because it would have been too costly for their large manufacturing sector. Today that sector is diminished, maybe now is a good time.
Am just going to ask if you watched the video...
It explains the advantages of base 12 better than I could.

And yes, american engineering firms (and anyone else doing business internationally) use the metric system so the two parties can have a common mathematical language.

And as for american lumber, lumber shortages during WWII and the housing boom that followed caused the industry to reduce the size of lumber.
If you look at the lumber in my house that was built in 1929, you will find that the boards are almost the dimensions that are nominal. (not quite because wood shrinks as it dries)
This is commonly known in the US as "dimensional lumber".

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Am just going to ask if you watched the video...
It explains the advantages of base 12 better than I could.

And yes, american engineering firms (and anyone else doing business internationally) use the metric system so the two parties can have a common mathematical language.

And as for american lumber, lumber shortages during WWII and the housing boom that followed caused the industry to reduce the size of lumber.
If you look at the lumber in my house that was built in 1929, you will find that the boards are almost the dimensions that are nominal. (not quite because wood shrinks as it dries)
This is commonly known in the US as "dimensional lumber".
Looks like a 20% discount on the lumbar.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think we all can agree speed is your enemy. I did 80mph inn my L663 and averaged 14mpg on my way home from the county fair. I did 65mph on way to fair and I average 20mpg

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
This thread feels like I'm looking for a 3.18mm screw bit replacement... a what size sir!?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I did find a 3.18mm not 3.2 like we get in the metric standard sets, but a 3.18mm which is to match the poor old imperialists at 1/8th inch!!!

Local time
Reaction score
I think we all can agree speed is your enemy. I did 80mph inn my L663 and averaged 14mpg on my way home from the county fair. I did 65mph on way to fair and I average 20mpg
What engine do you have? My L663 D250 will do over 40mpg at 65mph

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why Australia diesel prices are at $2.20 again??? We are always told that when the barrel of oil drops by 30%, then we can expect maybe a 10c drop / L as the crude price is only a very minor cost in the overall useable grade fuel production. However, when the barrel goes up 30% then we see a 40c / L rise... really.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
What engine do you have? My L663 D250 will do over 40mpg at 65mph
I'm a Yank so the only option was petrol. I did the p300 to get the lower gearing and I dint want the hybrid. When I drive sane, it averages about 20 on highway. I've even gotten 23 but I was doing 60 and flat. On average, I get about 18 between city and highway.

Local time
Reaction score
l prefer petrol to diesel

My Defender is the two seat "Commercial" version which isn't available in the USA

It was only available with the 3.0 MHEV diesel. lf l could have had a petrol option l
would have gone for it.

l think in the long term petrol is the better option, despite the reduced fuel economy.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why Australia diesel prices are at $2.20 again??? We are always told that when the barrel of oil drops by 30%, then we can expect maybe a 10c drop / L as the crude price is only a very minor cost in the overall useable grade fuel production. However, when the barrel goes up 30% then we see a 40c / L rise... really.
You just have to get this app for your phone. “PetrolSpy”. Don’t worry, it does diesel also. Shows you the price of petrol station fuel everywhere (On a map). Will default to the area around your location, but can be used to plan a long drive. My V8 D2 uses 18-20L/100 km, PetrolSpy helps. I can see that diesel, in Brisbane, ranges in price from $2.15 to $2.30/L. In Cairns it is 2.12 - 2.28.

Back
Top Bottom