The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

FLATDOG UK Roof Rack and Bars.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
I now have prices from Flatdog on the roof rack that they are building for me. Pretty competitive and it looks like a quality rack.
It will look very similar to the Defender one, but dimensions will be different. I’ll attach a pic of mine once its done. In the mean time a pic of the defender one Is below.

They are going to make extra deep claws for attaching the rack to account for the wide gutters on the Grenadier. This should make it stronger than some other attachment systems. They will come with a wind deflector and 8 legs. They are aluminium with tracks on each bar. They also do clamp systems for awnings and roof top tents.

There will be two sizes initially.
Full length 2535x1660mm. £1104
3/4 length 1935x1560mm. £900
I don’t have prices on the Roof Bars but if they are similar to the Defender ones they will likely be around £100 per bar.
They also said that they might make a full actual roof length rack ie 2735mm but that will need further research to avoid wind noise.

I can’t wait to get my hands on mine, but I’ll need the car first!

59F3D5F6-F4C1-4A40-8410-042BF0066BA5.jpeg

F62D2C59-539F-48FD-AC07-048C2D466EDF.jpegDC5346CA-5E18-4BAF-8F27-7BDB8E0F7646.jpeg

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
I now have prices from Flatdog on the roof rack that they are building for me. Pretty competitive and it looks like a quality rack.
It will look very similar to the Defender one, but dimensions will be different. I’ll attach a pic of mine once its done. In the mean time a pic of the defender one Is below.

They are going to make extra deep claws for attaching the rack to account for the wide gutters on the Grenadier. This should make it stronger than some other attachment systems. They will come with a wind deflector and 8 legs. They are aluminium with tracks on each bar. They also do clamp systems for awnings and roof top tents.

There will be two sizes initially.
Full length 2535x1660mm. £1104
3/4 length 1935x1560mm. £900
I don’t have prices on the Roof Bars but if they are similar to the Defender ones they will likely be around £100 per bar.
They also said that they might make a full actual roof length rack ie 2735mm but that will need further research to avoid wind noise.

I can’t wait to get my hands on mine, but I’ll need the car first!

View attachment 7815204

View attachment 7815203View attachment 7815202
It looks nice. Do you know what height it adds to the Grenadier (there seems to be quite a decent gap under the rack)?

Reactions: PBD

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think they are going to try and set it so that the safari windows can be just opened. If the rack is too close to the roof it increases wind noise so there’s a compromise. With the defender they do two different leg lengths.. I think 40-60mm is ideal. The IG factory rack is about 50mm above the roof at the rear and the windows do open I believe.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think they are going to try and set it so that the safari windows can be just opened. If the rack is too close to the roof it increases wind noise so there’s a compromise. With the defender they do two different leg lengths.. I think 40-60mm is ideal. The IG factory rack is about 50mm above the roof at the rear and the windows do open I believe.
yeah - both the the front runner slimline and Rhino add 50mm to the cars height

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Plus the thickness of the rack itself presumably?
the FR & Rhino racks are 50mm thick. The final EXTRA height of the Grenadier will depend on the length of thr legs that attach to the roof gutter (below the roofline.

E.G.
The FR legs are 225mm + 50mm for the width of the rack = 275mm - how much lower the gutter is to the roof = extra vehicle height.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So thats 105mm extra height. Meaning the gap under the rack will be 55mm..

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
The IG factory rack is about 50mm above the roof at the rear and the windows do open I believe.
There's been a lot of confusion on this point re the full length roof rack (with reports of dealers/agents providing conflicting information), but the official position of Ineos (as shown in the information provided for the full length roof rack on the Configurator) is that the Safari Windows cannot be opened:

"Maximises the ability to safely secure cargo on the roof or attach a wide range of accessories such as bike carriers, kayak mounts, jerry can holders or even a rooftop tent. When fitted, the Full-Length Roof Rack does not allow the Safari Windows to be tilted or removed."

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There's been a lot of confusion on this point re the full length roof rack (with reports of dealers/agents providing conflicting information), but the official position of Ineos (as shown in the information provided for the full length roof rack on the Configurator) is that the Safari Windows cannot be opened:

"Maximises the ability to safely secure cargo on the roof or attach a wide range of accessories such as bike carriers, kayak mounts, jerry can holders or even a rooftop tent. When fitted, the Full-Length Roof Rack does not allow the Safari Windows to be tilted or removed."
Mmmm I was told the opposite by the dealer. I’ll check for myself next time I’m in there.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One thing Flatdog said to me was careful placement of the cross rails could allow the glass to pop up between them.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One thing Flatdog said to me was careful placement of the cross rails could allow the glass to pop up between them.
Good to know. It looks to be a similar approach to the Front Runner SlimLine II rack with moveable crossbars.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the Flatdog ones are welded in. But so long as they are welded in the right place… The bars will be about 20mm thick I think so there’ll be an extra 20mm to play with before the glass pops through into the load area.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the Flatdog ones are welded in. But so long as they are welded in the right place… The bars will be about 20mm thick I think so there’ll be an extra 20mm to play with before the glass pops through into the load area.
For reference, about 8 cm is needed to open the windows - see this post and pic: Safari Window Open Measurement.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

No doubt the safari windows would open and inch or two, until they hit the slats of the rack.
The only problem is when you look out of them all you would see are the slats of the rack.
The rack adds 100mm or 4 inches to the height of the vehicle.
It is also so heavy that you can only add 90kg or 198 pounds on to it.

1686160206286.png1686160263577.png1686160357448.png

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, just to clarify when I say open I mean prop open with the latch and I think that's what Ineos means when it says "tilted."

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No doubt the safari windows would open and inch or two, until they hit the slats of the rack.
The only problem is when you look out of them all you would see are the slats of the rack.
The rack adds 100mm or 4 inches to the height of the vehicle.
It is also so heavy that you can only add 90kg or 198 pounds on to it.

View attachment 7815251View attachment 7815252View attachment 7815253
Does the factory rack weigh over 50 kg?
I had no idea it was that heavy.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That seems crazy! Is it steel?

Edit: is see its half steel!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Which is one of the reasons the Front Runner rack is appealing for many - it's almost 30% lighter (43kg) than the Rhino designed for IA - and the slat go across the frame meaning you can remove the first couple for full safari window opening.

The largest ARB Base Rack (only 2125 x 1445) (so maybe room for the windows to fully open) has an even lower profile and is only 24kg - meaning you could put an extra 36kg up top compared to the Rhino.

I am considering this ARB type rack (445mm shorter) because I am not going to have a roof top tent and wont carry so much stuff.

Back
Top Bottom