The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Exterior Utility Belt permission?

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
I know this might be a legally tricky topic but how are these used for transportation? I checked for UK and for Germany and both state that they don't have a permission for road usage. This takes out one big point of using them. I guess this is an issue for all utility belts on any car.
Do people carry the stuff in the trunk and as soon as they go offroad they switch it to the outside or does just noone care?
I assume it would be not so smart to bring it with cherrycans to the inspection but what does the police think of it?

best
Denny

Local time
Reaction score
Hey Denny,

legally speaking, whatever you attach to the rails (or tho the outside of the vehicle) is classified as cargo. Cargo needs to be attached securely and if it sticks out over the outline of the vehicle, it needs to be marked w red/white stripes. In practise no one cares in Europe, have never been asked about that in more then 20 years..even the MOT (or TUV) was never a problem - provided your vehicle and its cargo serve a purpose and are not only for showing off, I guess.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
I know this might be a legally tricky topic but how are these used for transportation? I checked for UK and for Germany and both state that they don't have a permission for road usage. This takes out one big point of using them. I guess this is an issue for all utility belts on any car.
Do people carry the stuff in the trunk and as soon as they go offroad they switch it to the outside or does just noone care?
I assume it would be not so smart to bring it with cherrycans to the inspection but what does the police think of it?

best
Denny
Hi Denny,
google for StVO §22.

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Denny,

legally speaking, whatever you attach to the rails (or tho the outside of the vehicle) is classified as cargo. Cargo needs to be attached securely and if it sticks out over the outline of the vehicle, it needs to be marked w red/white stripes. In practise no one cares in Europe, have never been asked about that in more then 20 years..even the MOT (or TUV) was never a problem - provided your vehicle and its cargo serve a purpose and are not only for showing off, I guess.
Ah perfect. Thats good enough for me thanks
Hi Denny,
google for StVO §22.
Perfect the car is 1930mm wide and it can go up to 2550mm so plenty of room with the correct warning labels on it obviously ;) Thanks

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking more of them as anchor points for gear when stopped. Take stuff out, hang it up to keep it out of the dirt.

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking more of them as anchor points for gear when stopped. Take stuff out, hang it up to keep it out of the dirt.
Tbh. Never had that much of an issue needing to hang things from the car because the ground is to dirty :) I ordered it either way for just more utility.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tbh. Never had that much of an issue needing to hang things from the car because the ground is to dirty :) I ordered it either way for just more utility.
Here in CO we have this super-soft red ‘dust’ that passes for soil. It electrostatic clings to everything at 5% humidity, nasty.

I’m at least going to make a GoPro mount, and 3D print engine nacelles from the USS Enterpise from Star Trek on either side of the body.

Back
Top Bottom