The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Europe European recall on steering

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
Oh dear, surely this should be all European countries at least. I don’t think for one minute there is any difference on specs per country for steering.

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
So does this refer to the joint that is particularly covered by the rubber boot? Also does this recall include the UK or is it just the EU 🤣

Reactions: PBD

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
From the attachment I don't understand what the specific problem is

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
I would imagine it's the same as the NA recall requiring replacement of non locking with locking nuts.

"In early December 2023, INEOS became aware of reports involving two vehicles with loose steering rods observed. Separately, INEOS received a report related to a vehicle with a lost drag link during off-road driving. INEOS initiated an investigation which included an inspection of internal fleet vehicles. This inspectionrevealed one vehicle in which was installed a non-locking nut instead of a locking nut at the steering rod balljoint. INEOS then conducted an analysis of the screwing curves of vehicles with the locking vs. non-locking nut.Even though the non-locking nut had been torqued to the appropriate value, there was a potential for the nonlocking nut to loosen over time"

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I would be interested what they call a locking nut

Many people think a nut with a rubber is a locking nut, but that is not the case. By using the wrong torque or if it is exposed to liquids or vibrations it still can get loose. The rubber only prevents that you lose the nut and after that more....The rubber gives time to recognize the problem without everything falling apart. A locking nut can't move, because it is secured by a sapwood or something similiar which prevents that the nut turns.

AWo

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
Balljoints used to come with castle nuts and split pins but it seems the plasticised locknuts are these days more the norm. Well that's my experience.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score

Shrooman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
My UK spec Grenadier (delivered Summer 2023) has started making a creak/clunk from the steering column when changing suspension load. For example stopping straight line, then giving steering input as I accelerate while turning at an intersection. I’ve not been told by the company that my vehicle is recalled. Should I be concerned? Dealer is a long way from me.

BlackforrestGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My UK spec Grenadier (delivered Summer 2023) has started
Is it similar to this noise?
Get some parts changed out by the dealer now. View attachment 4f19ef5e-d8ca-47f0-b399-636fb4eb241d.mov
making a creak/clunk from the steering column when changing suspension load. For example stopping straight line, then giving steering input as I accelerate while turning at an intersection. I’ve not been told by the company that my vehicle is recalled. Should I be concerned? Dealer is a long way from me.

Back
Top Bottom