The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Earthing/Body connecting eyelet not connected on AM/FM/DAB Antenna.

Roger

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
OK Brains Trust this is an odd one - I wiring up a reversing camera and I have removed the rear right hand side panel that surround the brake/indicator light and also the upper panel cover above it.
Under the upper panel the AM/FM./DAB radio antenna is located. The cables for that exits the body via a grommet, I noticed a negative/grounding post or stud that has a lot of paint on it,
plus an eyelet that is connected to what I assume is a negative grounding cable. Does anyone know it this should be connected to the stud/post?
The cable seems to be running back from the antenna side of the assembly.
I am wondering if it is part of the ground plane configuration and may explain why the radio's reception is not great?
Has anyone seen this, is it incorrect? Should I clean the stud/post back to bare metal and attach the eyelet?
My VIN is early 1500's its a RHD Diesel Trialmaster with a standard sound system.
(BTW the corrugated conduit is my install encasing my camera cable.)
IMG_0625.jpg

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
OK Brains Trust this is an odd one - I wiring up a reversing camera and I have removed the rear right hand side panel that surround the brake/indicator light and also the upper panel cover above it.
Under the upper panel the AM/FM./DAB radio antenna is located. The cables for that exits the body via a grommet, I noticed a negative/grounding post or stud that has a lot of paint on it,
plus an eyelet that is connected to what I assume is a negative grounding cable. Does anyone know it this should be connected to the stud/post?
The cable seems to be running back from the antenna side of the assembly.
I am wondering if it is part of the ground plane configuration and may explain why the radio's reception is not great?
Has anyone seen this, is it incorrect? Should I clean the stud/post back to bare metal and attach the eyelet?
My VIN is early 1500's its a RHD Diesel Trialmaster with a standard sound system.
(BTW the corrugated conduit is my install encasing my camera cable.)
View attachment 7843542
If it was hanging "loose" like that it certainly isn't how it should be. I would dare to connect it to the body of the car!

Roger

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I found this picture in my computer, probably from "someone" on this forum: indeed you should attach it to the stud!
Both sides have a FM/AM/DAB+ receiver! (I already checked this on my car)
View attachment 7843600
Thanks Jen, you win todays best helper award! I have not removed the left hand side cover so I did not know both sides have an antenna assembly. Thank you x 100! I can now move on with reassembling the car. I intend to just use an M6 thread cutting die to get the paint off the threads, Would you clean it up that way?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Clean it with the M6 die then a once over with a wire brush. Once the antenna has been secured, I suggest you brush a dab of undercoat primer on the exposed thread to minimise corrosion...

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
Thanks Jen, you win todays best helper award! I have not removed the left hand side cover so I did not know both sides have an antenna assembly. Thank you x 100! I can now move on with reassembling the car. I intend to just use an M6 thread cutting die to get the paint off the threads, Would you clean it up that way?
Hi Roger, Once you finish grounding the DAB, let us know if you get any betterr reception and performance. DaBull

Rocket

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I will report back.
Hi Roger, well done on identifying this manufacturing shortcome. My very poor reception also makes my AM and DAB radio virtually useless.

Did you have any luck is resolving whether the loose wire being grounded improved the reception?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
If it was hanging "loose" like that it certainly isn't how it should be. I would dare to connect it to the body of the car!
Since it has twin left and right hand aerials as long as one is connected then surely it is all earthed. That assumes the other side is connected. Anyway it is good practice to connect both side though despite having a common earth

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just an FYI - to check if the anntena cable is attached - you do not need to remove the whole panel just remove the black pladtic panel cover by removing one screw.

Just an FYI - to check if the anntena cable is attached - you do not need to remove the whole panel just remove the black pladtic panel cover by removing one screw.

View attachment 7844156View attachment 7844158View attachment 7844157
I hope they scraped some of that paint off to make a good earth contact.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
OK, how does one tune to the DAB+ stations? My Land Cruiser has a button to switch between the frequencies.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK, how does one tune to the DAB+ stations? My Land Cruiser has a button to switch between the frequencies.
It's a bit tricky but is explained around p151* of the Owner's Handbook (ROW Edition) in the Infotainment section.
*The US version is probably differently numbered because you have more features

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If your on FM in the audio screen, in the top RH corner were it displays FM, touch FM and the Source option comes up. Touch that and select DAB

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On my (Australian) version I Select AUDIO (either on screen menu or rotary dial on console)/ Select Radio (2nd bar on list of 4 side bars)/ Source (select DAB)/ Autoseek all stations (will list stations it can find)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
I don’t think we have dab in the US. Some stations have “HD” radio but I’m not sure that is the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom