The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Dual Battery vs Premium Sound - What to Spec to most easily end up with both

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:08 PM
Reaction score
It would be great to end up with both a Dual Battery and Premium Sound. Since they occupy the same space, it would seem like the best thing to do is to spec the dual battery and then hopefully you can easily upgrade to a premium amp and locate a sub-woofer elsewhere in the boot or a custom enclosure in the boot. Then again, if you spec the Premium Sound now, would the wiring for the second battery be under the seat so you could then move the sub-woofer and just put in a second battery. If anyone knows yet, let me know that best path to consider to end up with both and which to spec first.
DaBull

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
The "Wiring" for the second battery is basically irrelevant, it's ~2ft of total cable run. What would also be missing is the bracket to hold the battery in place and the charge controller, all of which would theoretically be very easy to do in the aftermarket realm.

There's also Option C, forego either of the options and handle both yourself after the fact (I only suggest this as that is my plan as well)

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was debating not getting the Aux battery, as I figured that would be a good spot for a sound system amp. Now that there is a factory radio upgrade, I’m tempted. Wish there were more specs or a picture of the sub.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
I also would like to upgrade the sound, but decided to stick with the Trialmaster build with the extra battery and CTEK controller. I've upgraded stereos in the past by adding amps and subwoofers, and it's pretty easy to get creative in placing them (had fun building out a '94 Mitsubishi Montero), and that is even easier now with the Grenadier with the interior utility rails, etc. So, I'm biding my time on the sound system. Also, by going the TM route, you get the cool plate. They don't have a "Premium Sound" plate.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly where I find myself. I have two configurations saved. Basically they’re the same except one is a TM and the other a SW built identically except for the audio system in lieu of the aux battery.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly where I find myself. I have two configurations saved. Basically they’re the same except one is a TM and the other a SW built identically except for the audio system in lieu of the aux battery.
Hi Krabby, I would like more of your input and thoughts on getting the second battery or premium sound system first. When I purchased my 2020 Defender, it did not have the top premium sound system that was available at the time. I purchased mine off the lot and luckily it had every single thing I wanted except that. Bought it anyway and glad I did. Music still very nice, however wished it had the higher premium sound system. Thought I could upgrade it later, however was told by others that it just not as simple to plug and play in the higher premium amplifier and add another sub-woofer because connectors different and that the electronic controls for the stereo may have to be flashed again, which Land Rover was not willing to do or supply. Never went further down the rabbit hole to confirm all this, although had no reason to not agree with what I had read and was told. So this have got me thinking that if I want the upgraded premium amplifier and sub-woofer, now is the time to get it and not the second battery. It should not be hard to relocate the sub-woofer later and getting a second battery placed in with a controller, although I don't know much about electrical items. Am I missing something here? Will it be relatively easy to put a second battery in with the controller and have it function like it was installed by Ineos or will there be any connection problems related to software that won't be there by not ordering the second battery first. Any input and thoughts on this much appreciated from anyone on the forum. I have reached out directly to Ineos via their customer service email and if they get back to me I will post any reply that sheds more light on this.
Only one other point on this. When I was doing the configurations, the only one that allowed the Premium Sound was the Field Master. I was unable to spec it on either the Base Model or Trial Master. Since you can only spec an upgraded Sound System on the Field Master your only choice is the 18" alloys, which I don't care for. I much prefer the 17" alloy look myself. As such, I think if I go for the Field Master with upgraded Sound System I will have some 18" alloys with K2O's to trade anyone for 17" alloys. Thought anyone?? DaBull

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Krabby, I would like more of your input and thoughts on getting the second battery or premium sound system first. When I purchased my 2020 Defender, it did not have the top premium sound system that was available at the time. I purchased mine off the lot and luckily it had every single thing I wanted except that. Bought it anyway and glad I did. Music still very nice, however wished it had the higher premium sound system. Thought I could upgrade it later, however was told by others that it just not as simple to plug and play in the higher premium amplifier and add another sub-woofer because connectors different and that the electronic controls for the stereo may have to be flashed again, which Land Rover was not willing to do or supply. Never went further down the rabbit hole to confirm all this, although had no reason to not agree with what I had read and was told. So this have got me thinking that if I want the upgraded premium amplifier and sub-woofer, now is the time to get it and not the second battery. It should not be hard to relocate the sub-woofer later and getting a second battery placed in with a controller, although I don't know much about electrical items. Am I missing something here? Will it be relatively easy to put a second battery in with the controller and have it function like it was installed by Ineos or will there be any connection problems related to software that won't be there by not ordering the second battery first. Any input and thoughts on this much appreciated from anyone on the forum. I have reached out directly to Ineos via their customer service email and if they get back to me I will post any reply that sheds more light on this.
Only one other point on this. When I was doing the configurations, the only one that allowed the Premium Sound was the Field Master. I was unable to spec it on either the Base Model or Trial Master. Since you can only spec an upgraded Sound System on the Field Master your only choice is the 18" alloys, which I don't care for. I much prefer the 17" alloy look myself. As such, I think if I go for the Field Master with upgraded Sound System I will have some 18" alloys with K2O's to trade anyone for 17" alloys. Thought anyone?? DaBull
I look at this way. One configuration you have a premium sound system to play music. The other configuration you can still play music, but now you have a secondary power source to power all your stuff off grid. I will always take the option that allows me to do more, thus I will take the later option.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
The "Wiring" for the second battery is basically irrelevant, it's ~2ft of total cable run. What would also be missing is the bracket to hold the battery in place and the charge controller, all of which would theoretically be very easy to do in the aftermarket realm.
And the inline fuse off the auxiliary, the auxiliary fusebox, and the cabling off the auxiliary fusebox to who knows where...

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I could add the premium sound without the Trialmaster.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had no issues adding the upgraded audio option to the base wagon on configured - was the option grayed out with a yellow ! ? If so, there might be a conflict. That said, the FM is definitely not for me so if that was the only way to upgrade the audio it would be a hard no on my end.

As for everything else, simply put, I just don't know. Changing speakers is not difficult and since there are only 4, all within the doors, that should not be too challenging. Thereafter, however, I have no clue. My initial assumption was that everything is integrated into the screen unit (as opposed to a seperate audio system/stereo head unit) but I don't think that is the case. Having said that, if we can locate and swap one amp for another, I don't see why that would require any software modifications; it sounds like the JLR system is more complex because additional/different speakers were involved.

I have never had a dual battery setup before but it seems like a nice setup and one that could be done DIY since the locations are already designed to do so. That would require moving the sub out of that space but that (in theory) wouldn't be too difficult to do; that said, "from the factory" setups are very clean and do not require taking a bunch of things apart.

My hope is that before the end of June (when actual orders need to be submitted) that other owners will share their experiences and solutions for audio upgrades.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Now that orders have opened up for those of us in the US can those with their Grenadiers give us an idea of how the stereo sounds? Like others I have two builds saved with basically all the same bits but it comes down to a Trialmaster or Fieldmaster. The secondary battery to me seems the way to go, but it would be great to hear from others as to the quality of the speakers. I know we can updated and modify the sound system after the fact but I'd like to try and nail it out of the gate if possible.

For me it would seem easier to go the Trialmaster route so I don't have to fool with figuring out a second battery, but if the subwoofer adds much to the quality of the sound then I'd be tempted to go that route...

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:08 AM
Reaction score
For me the sound is ok. It’s not Bang & Olufsen but for me it is sufficient. We didn’t have the choice of the subwoofer anyway.
If I had I still would have chosen the second battery.

Sillius Soddus

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
The last time I tried to get an audio upgrade was circa 2005 in a RX-8. That car had a double din opening, but everything was so integrated into the dash that it ended up being a huge pain in the ass and never really worked 100% right. I have no desire to dig into the dash to get to the rear of the infotainment unit to upgrade the amp. Also, it is not entirely clear right now if the stock system can even be upgraded without it throwing a fit. I figure i can relocate the subwoofer myself easily enough, and have my electrical engineer wife spec out and install a second battery, inverter and related systems.

TL;DR

I’ll be getting the premium sound because I know I’ll be using it everyday. In fact I’ll be using it on the drive home.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

RoyalWulff

Forum Supporter
Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
Guys I just have to throw in my 2 cents... I would 100% recommend an extra battery (to help with parasitic draw) and foregoing the premium sound. Find a car stereo person and ask him to build a box for the subwoofer and add Focal speakers to the doors.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Guys I just have to throw in my 2 cents... I would 100% recommend an extra battery (to help with parasitic draw)

If there is a parasitic draw on the main battery side, simply having the aux battery will not protect it from discharge. When the vehicle isn't running (charging), the two batteries are isolated from each other (as with essentially any true aux. battery system)

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Guys I just have to throw in my 2 cents... I would 100% recommend an extra battery (to help with parasitic draw) and foregoing the premium sound. Find a car stereo person and ask him to build a box for the subwoofer and add Focal speakers to the doors.
Have you seen all the electronic glitches posted? No way I’m going to hack the sound system.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have you seen all the electronic glitches posted? No way I’m going to hack the sound system.
Once i get my Grenadier and sample the standard sound system I will make a final decision to upgrade it or not. I have a contact at Hertz, who provides the speakers who is reaching out to Hertz in Italy who manufactures the sound system for Ineos to get additional information for the purposes of upgrading after purchasing the Grenadier. Based on an initial deep dive on the audio system, it appears that adding an additional amp and upgrading door speakers and adding a sub-woofer to the boot in a secured enclosure will not be a problem or effect the built-in software. Hoping that is the case and will report back any new information as it becomes available and if I have an audio upgrade. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom