The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Driver Display

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I am a customer and own such a motorbike. The community is closely connected with Jochen, the maker of these motorcycles. He is an engineer and an excellent mechanic and had earned his first merits at Egli in Switzerland. He is located in Bavaria close to "Weißenburg".

We call him 'The Doc' or 'Jogi'. :)
…but no longer in production due to emissions regs? What a shame! Got a pic of yours? My machine below…

CECC19D7-A28B-42E7-97C0-77719D43BBB7.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
…but no longer in production due to emissions regs?
This is one of two causes.

The emissions thing is an incredible scandal, I think. Our motorcycles consume about 2 liters per 100 km, which is about 118 mpg (!). Production was about 50 to 60 vehicles per year. So why should anyone care about the emissions of such a low-emission vehicle? After all, it is Euro 4 compliant!

But the EU, mercilessly bureaucratic, stopped this excellent product, which is built to last for 40 years or more and has such ridiculously low fuel consumption that it is not worth a second's thought about emissions. With production numbers of perhaps only one per week. One!

The second point is just as crappy. Again, the EU has issued a regulation requiring ABS on all motorcycles 250cc and larger. Our diesels are 462cc and 516cc respectively. So they have to have ABS as well.

What they didn't factor in is that they only have about 12 hp, so they're never faster than 100 Kmh - give or take a bit due to upwind or downwind.

So they are no faster (rather slower) than many 125cc scooters and motorcycles. The problem is, as Jogi told us, the basic ABS configuration and setup by (e.g.) Bosch for his motorcycles costs around €100,000. This does not include a single ABS installed, but just the basic work.

An impossible amount for a one-man band (and one employee). Now he has returned to his roots and is converting older motorcycles to Diesel engines. That's allowed if the chassis was built before 2009 or so. But it's not really a replacement, as Jogi had designed and built his own frame, which is way better than the old Royal Enfield frames. With disc brakes, better geometry, more robust, powder coated and so on. It's a tragedy.

And the original product has only a few electrical wires for the lights and starter, but zero (zero!) electronics. It's exceptionally reliable, always. But an ABS would change everything. Tragedy.

I'm so glad I bought a new one in 2015.

There are used ones in good condition on the market, but the price is often higher than new.

Believe me, I have hated the EU since they killed our D-Mark, but now I am mentally a terrorist against them. They are destroying more and more our economy, our jobs and many other things. And I'm afraid there is not much that can save us from them.

PS: Nice Duke, I like it. Sadly, for my short legs, modern Enduros are uncomfortably high for me.
PPS: I will post a picture of my Diesel later.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is one of two causes.

The emissions thing is an incredible scandal, I think. Our motorcycles consume about 2 liters per 100 km, which is about 118 mpg (!). Production was about 50 to 60 vehicles per year. So why should anyone care about the emissions of such a low-emission vehicle? After all, it is Euro 4 compliant!

But the EU, mercilessly bureaucratic, stopped this excellent product, which is built to last for 40 years or more and has such ridiculously low fuel consumption that it is not worth a second's thought about emissions. With production numbers of perhaps only one per week. One!

The second point is just as crappy. Again, the EU has issued a regulation requiring ABS on all motorcycles 250cc and larger. Our diesels are 462cc and 516cc respectively. So they have to have ABS as well.

What they didn't factor in is that they only have about 12 hp, so they're never faster than 100 Kmh - give or take a bit due to upwind or downwind.

So they are no faster (rather slower) than many 125cc scooters and motorcycles. The problem is, as Jogi told us, the basic ABS configuration and setup by (e.g.) Bosch for his motorcycles costs around €100,000. This does not include a single ABS installed, but just the basic work.

An impossible amount for a one-man band (and one employee). Now he has returned to his roots and is converting older motorcycles to Diesel engines. That's allowed if the chassis was built before 2009 or so. But it's not really a replacement, as Jogi had designed and built his own frame, which is way better than the old Royal Enfield frames. With disc brakes, better geometry, more robust, powder coated and so on. It's a tragedy.

And the original product has only a few electrical wires for the lights and starter, but zero (zero!) electronics. It's exceptionally reliable, always. But an ABS would change everything. Tragedy.

I'm so glad I bought a new one in 2015.

There are used ones in good condition on the market, but the price is often higher than new.

Believe me, I have hated the EU since they killed our D-Mark, but now I am mentally a terrorist against them. They are destroying more and more our economy, our jobs and many other things. And I'm afraid there is not much that can save us from them.

PS: Nice Duke, I like it. Sadly, for my short legs, modern Enduros are uncomfortably high for me.
As I have said before, we left the EU because of that but so annoyingly after 3 years we still haven't repealed a single Directive. We now have the worst of both words.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Here they are:

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:59 PM
Reaction score
Very nice, but I'm short legged (and height challenged) as much as I love enduros their seat heights are too high for me.
Ever seen a tall jockey on a horse ?
By design we “vertically challenged” make better riders :)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
HUD has already been discussed in other parts of the forum. Hudway should fit above the center display and should provide all of the info needed without having to glance sideways.View attachment 7802958
From FB:

Screenshot_20230501_152724.jpgFB_IMG_1682951207436.jpgFB_IMG_1682951213318.jpgFB_IMG_1682951210344.jpgFB_IMG_1682951216480.jpg

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
Interesting, haven't seen one in person. Looks like it works pretty well. Do they use MPH in England?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting, haven't seen one in person. Looks like it works pretty well. Do they use MPH in England?
Yes they do. But for sure the English mile is different to the US mile. And the hour might only contain 56,87 minutes which are dived in 12,5 seconds each.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So which is better ? A HUD that connects to the OBD port or a gps HUD ?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
I think wearing the Speedos centrally is the comfortable option.
Usa Flex GIF by truTV’s Impractical Jokers

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if there exists a portable head-up display (like the HUD) is a wireless format (although would of course require periodic charging)

Back
Top Bottom