The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

DIY Roof rack ideas

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
I was thinking this thread could be used to discuss some simple DIY roof rack ideas for the Grenadier

Here is one to kick off the discussion.

Since the Grenadiers roof was designed to strap cargo directly on to the roof, the simplest roof rack idea I could think of would be to use something like 5mm thick checker plate aluminum sheet material, cut it to size to fit over the roof rub rails both length and width wise, extending a bit over the sides of the roof. Then cut 2 slots in the front on either side, wide enough to pass a ratchet strap through and do the same on the back. Weave your ratchet strap through the front slots and over top of the aluminum checker plate and around the front grab handles on either side and ratchet it down on to the roof rub rails. Do the same on the back slots using the back grab handles as your latching point and ratchet the back down. To prevent chaffing of the straps on the aluminum, use a rubber strip around the slots edges you cut in the aluminum. You now would have a solid platform that is coupled tightly to your roof that you could bolt/rivet latching hardware to. Buy some strips of airline rails bolt them down to the checker plate around the perimeter and you could latch a multitude of items down to the checker plate platform. The best part is you are not adding much weight so it leaves more weight for cargo. The Grenadier’s roof can hold 150kg dynamic and 420kg static. Assuming the ratchet straps exceeds the max dynamic load capacity you would be able take advantage of (150kg-(weight of the rack materials)}. Assuming the rack materials were 30kg then you theoretically could carry 120kg of cargo. Of course none of this is engineered to meet any regulations your country may require or your insurance may require so your options maybe constrained by that. However all you are doing is strapping down cargo as the checker plate is being strapped down like cargo would be and as intended to be used by the Ineos engineers. Any other options and ideas from the collective?

1682573581814.jpeg

Last edited:
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
Like your simplified approach, almost like an "African" solution...maybe replace chequer plate with a wooden board or planks and tie down with blue nylon cord, the one that holds half of the continent together..

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has someone installed a rack by now and can therefore report on the matter that the gutters are not straight?
Mine pull towards the car 10mm in the back and have an overall delta of 5mm up/down as well as in/out.
Are the 3 mounts of the Rhino side panels straight in line or compensate for that?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Has someone installed a rack by now and can therefore report on the matter that the gutters are not straight?
Mine pull towards the car 10mm in the back and have an overall delta of 5mm up/down as well as in/out.
Are the 3 mounts of the Rhino side panels straight in line or compensate for that?
Still waiting for my Rhino rack. Booked in to have it fitted. On the 15th June.
Four mounts either side 👍🏼

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still waiting for my Rhino rack. Booked in to have it fitted. On the 15th June.
Four mounts either side 👍🏼
Ok.

Looking forward how they do that in case the delta of up to 10mm along the gutter is standard.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interested to hear what you find. I thing INEOS is really overcharging for the rack and accessories based on what I see on the rhino website

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still waiting for the original roof bars…..

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I ordered all material to build my custom raxk based on three sets of DOT200 mounts linked above. Some customisation needed to attach them the way I plan to, but fingers crossed I do not break the car first trip.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
Having owned and modified dozens of roof racks over several decades, I am not interested in bolt-together, vertical feet that join the rack at 90-degrees. So, I am very interested to try the IG Rhino rack for one reason, the one-piece side-rail feet. I think this will be a massive structural benefit for fully-loaded/over-loaded racks driven in rough, off-road conditions (swaying and heavy corrugations). To me it is worth the extra weight.

Local time
Reaction score
I want to have another rack installed.
To determine the height of the leg I need a measeurement
What is the measurement between the inside of the gutter to the top of the roof.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
There are several on YouTube that are low profile full racks you can use with the Safari Windows. Going to cancel my Rhino Rack option and look at aftermarket

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5F0IIBlRY
I hope more racks come to market, but I do not like the ones that are glorified crossbars with lots of bolts. I'm sticking with the Rhino for the one-piece side-rail/feet. If I were to go a different direction in the future, it will be a welded, tubular rack like Safety Devices for the old Land Rovers.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think there will be more. While I like the Rhino Rack and the 1 piece rails - it does not let me open up the Safari Windows - the rack above solves that issue. maybe future RR's will offer that option.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Roof Rack weight help please.

Does any one know the weight of the gutter brackets that the INEOS/Rhino Rack use? I ask because the whole rack weighs 60kg which significantly reduces the roof load from 150kg down to 90kg.

i have a Tracklander roof rack that weighs only 31 kg plus the brackets. So if the brackets weigh say 3kg each i can bet an additional 23kg of roof load capacity. In addition i have a stronger and more flexible roof rack.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
Roof Rack weight help please.

Does any one know the weight of the gutter brackets that the INEOS/Rhino Rack use? I ask because the whole rack weighs 60kg which significantly reduces the roof load from 150kg down to 90kg.

i have a Tracklander roof rack that weighs only 31 kg plus the brackets. So if the brackets weigh say 3kg each i can bet an additional 23kg of roof load capacity. In addition i have a stronger and more flexible roof rack.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't worry too much about roofload Andrew, the vehicle is strong and with a properly bolted down and regularly retightened ! rack you can chuck a few hundred kgs on the roof easily.

Done that over 20 years continuously in Africa, on- and off-road, 600kgs and 300kgs respectively, not one problem through the entire years on G Wagens SWB with 4 bars and LWB with 6 bars...same thing the Grenadier.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about roofload Andrew, the vehicle is strong and with a properly bolted down and regularly retightened ! rack you can chuck a few hundred kgs on the roof easily.

Done that over 20 years continuously in Africa, on- and off-road, 600kgs and 300kgs respectively, not one problem through the entire years on G Wagens SWB with 4 bars and LWB with 6 bars...same thing the Grenadier.
I have also done that many times. The problem here in Queensland is that the police are cracking down. Particularly on Fraser Island with reduced tire pressure. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom